Yip Man's Peers

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
We always hear a lot about the various students that were taught by Yip Man (Bruce Lee, William Cheung, etc.), but I have never heard anything about any other wing chun practitioners who came from Yip Man's generation of wing chun. I find that odd. Think about it: whoever learned at the same time as him probably went on and taught others. Did they really fade into obscurity? Or is it maybe I just don't read enough? LOL

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
We always hear a lot about the various students that were taught by Yip Man (Bruce Lee, William Cheung, etc.), but I have never heard anything about any other wing chun practitioners who came from Yip Man's generation of wing chun. I find that odd. Think about it: whoever learned at the same time as him probably went on and taught others. Did they really fade into obscurity? Or is it maybe I just don't read enough? LOL

Not all that odd actually, it is actually rather traditional in CMA. A lot of very good Martial artists in CMA go unnoticed or end up forgotten by everyone except their students, particularly those in family styles that are not part of the family.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never even knew any names until I did a Wikipedia search to see who taught Yip Man