Yet another intro

A

arcelt

Hello all,

I am new to this board, and am returning to the martial arts after a 10 year layoff. I studied Goju-Ryu from the ages of 9 to 18, achieving the rank of shodan. I then proceeded to go off to college and get all stupid, where I learned to smoke and drink too much.

I've spent the last 10 years (I'm 29 now) indulging in these bad habits. Now that I am nearing my 30th year, I finally realize the benefits that martial arts training brought me. Instead of sitting on my fat butt and smoking, I could be kicking, punching, and sweating.

To that end, I have recently begun training again, this time in Tiger-Crane Kenpo. I love to hear from all martial artists, but I am particularly interested in hearing the experiences of people who, like me, have become wickedly out of shape and are struggling to return to their previous fighting form. I am doing my best to quit smoking, and have been mostly successful, but it is definitely very hard. Nicotine is an evil, EVIL drug. Never start it.

And, hello to all.

Gary

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk! :)

I'm sure your Kenpo school will whip you into shape in no time at all!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to MT..

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome Gary to MartialTalk. We have many fine Kenpoists here to share your thoughts and and ask questions.

Thanks for joining us! :wavey:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Gary!! Enjoy your stay!:)

Mike

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk ~ Happy Posting! :asian:

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome Gary, and enjoy the forums and your new class!

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
well first foo I would like to say welcome. and I am sure you will enjoy your time here. congrats on deciding to get back into martial arts and I hope you stick with it

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arcelt said:
but I am particularly interested in hearing the experiences of people who, like me, have become wickedly out of shape and are struggling to return to their previous fighting form. I am doing my best to quit smoking, and have been mostly successful, but it is definitely very hard.
Okay, that would be me. :rolleyes: (but I'm hardly the only one).

Welcome to MT, Gary! Have fun! :) You're in good company!

Latest Discussions