yellow belted

Mc Qoorbs

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i am.Its been 2 months and 10 days since ive started training in Jinenkan with Peter Steeves.Tonight i passed my first test.I feel a little kinks in my Chi No waza but overall i understand the requirements.Its not a big accomplishment but, since i started on this site i feel obligated to keep you all informed.For those of higher rank...do you change rank in repeating patterns??Like for example...if it took you 3 months to get a different rank...do you elevate at the same rate?meaning in 3 months youll get to the next rank etc.

kakuma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not usually. But Peter is a very good instructor as well as a very talented martial artist. With him training you you'll do fine. I'll be out there hopefully in Aug.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mc Qoorbs said:
Like for example...if it took you 3 months to get a different rank...do you elevate at the same rate?meaning in 3 months youll get to the next rank etc.

Three months between 9th kyu and 8th kyu would not make anyone blink.

The same between 1st and 2nd dan would be pretty silly.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats man!

I find, that for me at least, time between ranks varies quite a bit...

Mountain Kusa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Congrads Guy, its good to see people progress, but know this, dont worry about the time it takes to get somewhere, instead, enjoy the path. You will learn more this way. You worry about training, let your teachers worry about where you are. Keep going.

Shinkengata

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Three months between 9th kyu and 8th kyu would not make anyone blink.

The same between 1st and 2nd dan would be pretty silly.

Hehe...i've been a 9th kyu since October of last year...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations!

(I'm picturing a Ninja in a black outfit, stealthily creeping up on his opponent, yellow belt glowing in the dark...sorry!)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats..You're on your way..Keep us posted on your progress...

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree do not worry to much about time in between rank, I also have just gotten my yellow belt after 1 year and 2 months, but who's counting. I just know Ive learned some cool stuff along the way.

Shinkengata

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm probably gonna be a 9th kyu for a lot longer since there are no Dojos within 45 minutes of here, plus im very broke at the moment.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm probably gonna be a 9th kyu for a lot longer since there are no Dojos within 45 minutes of here, plus im very broke at the moment.
Yep. sucks.
I don't think we have 10th Kyu. Only Mu Kyu. and I had decades at mu kyu.
I am not a big fan of testing. I train somewhat regulary (not as often as I should or want to).

M

Mr.Franco

dont worry about the time it takes to get somewhere, instead, enjoy the path. You will learn more this way. You worry about training, let your teachers worry about where you are. Keep going.
Very nicely put!

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
Each time I progress in rank I realize how much I do not know.

Markk Bush

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Took the words out of my mouth Markk.

Everytime I go to class I realize that.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I leave my BJJ class, I feel refreshed.

When I leave my Aikido class, I feel enlightened.

When I leave wrestling practice, I feel tired.

when I leave my Taijutsu class, I feel frustrated and angry.

LOL. but true.

Seattletcj

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shogun said:
When I leave my BJJ class, I feel refreshed.

When I leave my Aikido class, I feel enlightened.

When I leave wrestling practice, I feel tired.

when I leave my Taijutsu class, I feel frustrated and angry.

LOL. but true.
What taijutsu class do you attend ???
You started a whole thread on how it sucks to live in Washington and train in the Bujinkan because there were no dojos within 2 hrs of your residence. You were invited to attend a Bill Atkins seminar, transportation included...and an Aric Keith seminar. You didnt take advantage of those two great opportunities. I would hope that you could suspend your complaints about Bujinkan training, until you do some training in the Bujinkan.

From what you wrote above it seems like Aikido might be your best bet. How can you ask for anything more then enlightenment ? Sounds good to me.
You are welcome to attend training in Seattle at any time. You are welcome to attend any of the many seminars that happen in the area. I hope to see you there someday. Keep in touch, and good luck.

**name edited at user's request**

Seattle Bujinkan Tenchijin dojo

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What taijutsu class do you attend ???
You started a whole thread on how it sucks to live in Washington and train in the Bujinkan because there were no dojos within 2 hrs of your residence. You were invited to attend a Bill Atkins seminar, transportation included...and an Aric Keith seminar. You didnt take advantage of those two great opportunities. I would hope that you could suspend your complaints about Bujinkan training, until you do some training in the Bujinkan.

From what you wrote above it seems like Aikido might be your best bet. How can you ask for anything more then enlightenment ? Sounds good to me.
You are welcome to attend training in Seattle at any time. You are welcome to attend any of the many seminars that happen in the area. I hope to see you there someday. Keep in touch, and good luck.
Yo, **edit**. I was joking about how the Bujinkan training is frustrating because there is so much to learn. dont take it harshly. also, yes I was invited to attend a seminar, but firstly, I was working (gots priorities) secondly, were you personally gonna pick me up at my door? I live over 75 miles north of seattle, at the foot of the north cascades. thirdly, I train at Phil Gigler's dojo in seattle and have attended Arics sems.. havent been in a while, but used to go faithfully every week. so I have done some Bujinkan training. lastly, many seminars in the area? your area. and 1 every other month 150 miles away from me is not a lot.
one more thing, Yeah, Aikido is great. so is Taijutsu. the art doesnt matter. its about whether one can train or not. I hope to be able to attend more seminars but BBT is not my primary study, simply because I dont have to time (or gas money) to do so.

see ya on the mat.