Yellow Belt techniques...

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad

The Yellow belt program was created as a introductory course to let people experience Kenpo. There are some good techniques as well as bad techniques in the belt. And every principle you learn in yellow belt can be found elsewhere in the system. there is no problem re-iterating these principle no one learns thing by seeing it once. Many of the principle are shown more than once and allow the student to see the same thing in a different light.

The yellow belt is simplistic so that the beginner can gradually get their feet wet with the system. That is why once you are truly learning the system at orange belt you learn the base technique and not the entire technique with its extension. Kenpo is full of amny stages or phases.

People sometimes over analyze things looking for things that are not there. We have to stop looking at the yellow belt techniqus like Black Belts sometimes and look at the with white belt's eyes and realize they can still be somewhat intimidating.

The system is that of concepts and principles...most of us agree on that. The way the system was originally laid out w/o the Yellow belt was too much for Americans, so yes, Yellow belt material was created to "get the feet wet". The system originally was laid out so that by the time you reached Black Belt you knew the whole system (32 Technique Version). Sure you learn the principle of closing and reopening the centerline in Attacking Mace, but, where's the low line version of that principle? It's lost if Aggressive Twins is not taught. I am not saying that the principle won't see it again in the system, but don't you think that something as embyonic as that should be taught at a lower level belt rank so you can build you base principles so that you can recognize them later and expand on them when taught advanced material?

Remember EPAK is a system of concepts and principles. What you do with the upper body you must do with the lower, if you go up you must go down, use the right, you must use the left, if not you'll never complete the category.

You state that "People sometimes over analyze things looking for things that are not there. We have to stop looking at the yellow belt techniqus like Black Belts sometimes and look at the with white belt's eyes and realize they can still be somewhat intimidating. "

So I guess those kenpo "seniors" who teach those techniques for the same principles and for category completion have "over analyized" the system? If we as instructors don't look at the Yellow techniques as Black Belts then how do expect to ever thoroughly learn the system? Remember "He who know's how will always be the student, he who knows why will always be the instructor" - Ed Parker.:asian:

:soapbox:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Remember "He who knows how will always be the student, he who knows why will always be the instructor" - Ed Parker

You failed to mention that you must know the "CORRECT" WHY to be the accurate instructor!

From one who does know!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:asian:

"He who knows how will always be the student, he who knows why will always be the instructor" - Ed Parker

I placed that quote b/c it is are job to try to understand the system that we have, and if it means to analyze the techniques looking through "black belt eyes", so be it! It was not put there to make me look like I am the all knowing guru of Kenpo Karate (I am far from that I can tell you).

Are you telling me that the what I posted is completely wrong sir? That there are not high and low line techniques, that categories are not completed and that the Yelllow techniques were placed in the system strictly for "getting your feet wet"?

And with this quote "You failed to mention that you must know the "CORRECT" WHY to be the accurate instructor!", are you saying that what I am teaching my students is incorrect?

Please clarify for me what I missed in a nutshell so that I can know the "true" history of the Yellow Belt Techniques....

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by AvPKenpo

Don't worry, you won't piss anyone off by asking a question. LOL

Yes and No. Later down the road we will do the same technique left and right handed. We find it less confusing to lower belts. Especially those that are just learning to move like a MA.
Michael

Hmmm, question then. Do the advanced belts at your school do Delayed Sword on the left side for a requirement?

I was under suspect that the Ed Parker System of Kenpo was a right handed system and that's why the techniques are designed the way they are. (If you notice, most start with your right side forward).

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by AvPKenpo

Only because this is a Right dominant World(does it seem that it is right handed system) , there have been case studies, I don't have the number in front of me of ratio of right handed attackers to left handed attackers, I believe it is 9:1. Plus if you look at your classes how many left handed people are there.
No it is not a requirement for advanced belts. It is something that is asked of us to do on our own time, and there are times were we will do the techniques on the left side, in group classes. It is something not to be neglected. It should be done, and done often. It gives you so many more answers to any type of attack.

Michael

P.S. Remember this is only one answer of many.

I am not saying not to practice the left side of the techniques, you can do what you want, I thought the forms taught you the opposites and reverse of Kenpo?

Besides if you think of it, for every attack you can think of there is a technique that combats it. Aren't most of them dirivatives of other techniques?:asian:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad

I can see someone ate their wheaties today. Or maybe it was all that Training with HUk that stimulated the grey matter. That was a great answer.

Wheaties my a**! More like the magic mushroom from Alice in WOnderland. Lots of info to be had from Mr. Planas, good stuff
I might add.

So you coming to the next camp?

PS- Didn't need the seminar to come up with that, I knew it already:yinyang::asian:

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Personal I don't like the Parker or Tracy System they seem to teach technique not principle of why a technique works. That is the reason I Like Okinawan Kempo much better. With the Parker /Tracy system you have say 10 techniques for one certain atttack then 10 more for left hand attack then 10 more for advance technique. In most Okinawan Kempo systems you are taught principle of the attack, how it works, not 30 different ways to defend against the same attack. It also seems in most of the kenpo systems ( Parker/Tracy/American they like to step away from the attack, like a punch. In Okinawan Kempo they like to step into the punch to defend . This makes more since to me then stepping away.

Bob Thomas

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
avpkenpo, You are right, "distance is your friend". I find it is easier for me to move in on alot of techniques instead of moving back. I like to grapple with my opponent and do some kind of Jujutsu movement. That doesn't mean moving in is the best thing. Yes everyone fights differently.
Just want to know why in kenpo there is different techniques for right & left hand punch . Shouldn't you be able to preform the same technique both right and left hand. Would this help make it less confussing, especial when being attack. Just a question not trying to pick a fight or piss anyone off.

Bob Thomas :asian: