Yeah, but ... how many knives do you REALLY need?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are lots of knives ... pretty ones ... sharp ones ... frivilous ones ... double-edged, single-edged, serrated, combo ....

Though the liquidity of my finances cannot come close to matching the flow of drool when my eyes rest upon a blade I don't own, I contain things by reminding myself ... "I don't *really* need that right now."

Considering that one likely carries at least two knives and hides several around the home and in the vehicle, how many knives must you really own?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are lots of knives ... pretty ones ... sharp ones ... frivilous ones ... double-edged, single-edged, serrated, combo ....

Though the liquidity of my finances cannot come close to matching the flow of drool when my eyes rest upon a blade I don't own, I contain things by reminding myself ... "I don't *really* need that right now."

Considering that one likely carries at least two knives and hides several around the home and in the vehicle, how many knives must you really own?

Really not that many. What you really need is the right knife for the purpose that you are using it for in your hands at that moment. That is what is really important.
icon10.gif

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am a collector and I have lots of different knives mostly for nothing but show. However, the knife I always use to open up things and so forth is a fairly inexpensive little pocket knife that is durable and efficient for what I want. That is probably the knife I will have with me if I ever need to use one for self defense. So it is also the one I practice with the most.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To really answer your question one must know what is it for, kitchen well then atleast seven, tool shed probaly around five, display around two houndred, SD only one and that would be the one you would carry all the time, for show and tell thousand and thousand.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Though the liquidity of my finances cannot come close to matching the flow of drool when my eyes rest upon a blade I don't own, I contain things by reminding myself ... "I don't *really* need that right now.

Is your name JeffJ? ;)

I don't personally own any. I don't necessarily hide them around my house or in a vehicle. I have never felt the need and have often worried that it would be used against me if I did.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is your name JeffJ? ;)
*looks down shirt* Uhhh ... if it is, I need to have a serious talk with my parents.

I don't personally own any. I don't necessarily hide them around my house or in a vehicle. I have never felt the need and have often worried that it would be used against me if I did.
With all your guns, why would you need one? :rolleyes:
Seriously, that's what you have a backup for.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don't really need that many. The thing is, some of us collect them...others (myself included) accumulate them in the search for the "perfect knife." The aforementioned search is always complicated by the fact that the manufacturers refuse to quit introducing dozens of cool new designs every year :D

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To really answer your question one must know what is it for, kitchen well then atleast seven, tool shed probaly around five, display around two houndred, SD only one and that would be the one you would carry all the time, for show and tell thousand and thousand.
Well, I'm gonna difer with you on this Terry, for kitchen work you really only need three. A good 10" Chef's knife, a pairing knife, and a good flexible boning knife. You can do pretty much anything with those three you'll need to in a home kitchen.

Jeff

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many do I need?

One of each!!!!!

Jeff

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
when my eyes rest upon a blade I don't own, I contain things by reminding myself ... "I don't *really* need that right now."

This kind of thinking will get you nowhere.

Buying knives is addictive. But as to how many you need, it depends on how many tasks/situations you might face. If you just need a self-defense blade, all you need is one that can be worn/concealed with whatever outfits you're likely to wear (meaning, in all likelihood, a folder). If you also go camping, or need one for certain tasks at work, or want one secreted about the house, you may need more.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A few, assuming we're diverging away from the kitchen knife discussion:

1) Spyderco Police: My daily knife, used quite frequently. Yes, indeed, the hordes of packing tape and cardboard boxes are quivering in their collective husks...

2) Spyderco Delica: My daily knife, when in states where blade length on lockback blades is restricted. Since this has a 2 7/8" blade (as opposed to the 4+" blade of the Spyderco Police model), it's perfectly legal in almost all of the states where my #1 choice isn't.

3) My custom-made Kukri: I love chopping stuff with this, and I don't regret having traded my Kris Cutlery Katana for this bad boy. Sometimes I'll let a weed in my garden grow tall, just so that I can have an excuse to hack away. Make no mistakes, this isn't a cheap production Kukri, like Cold Steel, but the real thing. Is it really necessary? Well, probably not, but the sheer satisfaction of using it comes very, very close to the joys of cutting straw mats with my swords.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A few, assuming we're diverging away from the kitchen knife discussion:

1) Spyderco Police: My daily knife, used quite frequently. Yes, indeed, the hordes of packing tape and cardboard boxes are quivering in their collective husks...

2) Spyderco Delica: My daily knife, when in states where blade length on lockback blades is restricted. Since this has a 2 7/8" blade (as opposed to the 4+" blade of the Spyderco Police model), it's perfectly legal in almost all of the states where my #1 choice isn't.

3) My custom-made Kukri: I love chopping stuff with this, and I don't regret having traded my Kris Cutlery Katana for this bad boy. Sometimes I'll let a weed in my garden grow tall, just so that I can have an excuse to hack away. Make no mistakes, this isn't a cheap production Kukri, like Cold Steel, but the real thing. Is it really necessary? Well, probably not, but the sheer satisfaction of using it comes very, very close to the joys of cutting straw mats with my swords.
Who made your Kukri?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Jeff,

I have a Kuhkri right from that region and you can really tell that it is the real thing when you pick it up and use it. I have worked with other ones, cold steel, etc and they are not even close to being as good.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who made your Kukri?

My friend had bought a Himalayan Imports Kukri, and did some customizations on it. He replaced the handle with a Kamagong (Macassar Ebony) one that he made himself). 25" blade, but despite it's length, it's very, very manuverable.

This one is from the Kobra line.

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
YOu can't have too many.

As long as your wife doesn't find your collection, at which time you may be forced to decrease it a bit until you find a better hiding place. :)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My friend had bought a Himalayan Imports Kukri, and did some customizations on it. He replaced the handle with a Kamagong (Macassar Ebony) one that he made himself). 25" blade, but despite it's length, it's very, very manuverable.

This one is from the Kobra line.
Thanks, I'll have to look into those.

Mine is just an old "British issue" type. Not bad, but not really good either.

Jeff

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You don't really need that many. The thing is, some of us collect them...others (myself included) accumulate them in the search for the "perfect knife." The aforementioned search is always complicated by the fact that the manufacturers refuse to quit introducing dozens of cool new designs every year

I must completly agree it is all the fault of those darn knife makers and manufacturers, they keep putting out new and interesting ones for us to try

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Um, at least one more than the other fella?

:)

Cthulhu

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
YOu can't have too many.

As long as your wife doesn't find your collection, at which time you may be forced to decrease it a bit until you find a better hiding place. :)

How true is that! :rofl: You can also insert husband in their for the ladies as well.
icon10.gif

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, I've been going through my house, turning over a new leaf as it were and this involves going through every nook and cranny. Well ... :rolleyes:

... I opened up my bottom dresser drawer which is where I store some old belts, outgrown kids uniforms, braces, wraps, splints, slings ... and guess what I found?

A COLLECTOR'S SET OF KNIVES given to me by a friend a few years ago - each one represents a different branch of the military. It was a KEWL gift and ... and ... and I found KNIVES!!! :boing1::boing2::boing1:

Latest Discussions