Yahoo: WEC 46: Semerzier ready for Taurosevicius

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
01-07-2010 04:41 PM:
ept_sports_mma_experts-878637358-1262896605.jpg
Mackens Semerzier burst onto the MMA scene with his debut fight at WEC 43, a major upset of jiu-jitsu ace Wagnney Fabiano. This Sunday at WEC 46, he will look to show that his triangle choke of Fabiano was no fluke.

He says that when he walked into the cage with Fabiano, he had no doubt that he was going to win.

"I didn't know which direction I was going to take the fight, but I knew I was going to win," Semerzier told Cagewriter. "It's hard to see losing when you haven't lost in that particular sport. I've lost in wrestling, I've lost in boxing, jiu-jitsu, so I know the pain and the aggravation of losing, but not having tasted a real defeat in MMA makes me more confident in that I always have the ability to win."

Still, the win hasn't changed Semerzier's life much. He was put on Sunday's main card in a featherweight bout against Deividas Taurosevicius, but aside from that, his life is essentially the same.

"I'm kind of popular amongst the hardcore MMA fans, but I don't think the casual fan really knows me. Everything has stayed pretty much the same. I still train with the same guys, live in the same place, drive the same car, work the same job."

Semerzier has continued working to support his wife, two daughters and a son.

"Fighting still doesn't pay all the bills, and being a father and a husband, I think it would be irresponsible to put my dreams before my family's well-being."

A Marine Corps veteran, Semerzier now works for Linxx Academy, providing martials arts training to the military. He said he draws inspiration not just from the military members who he works with, but from everywhere in his hometown of Virginia Beach.

"Having been on the other side of that, from when I was in the military, I always draw energy from those guys. I draw it from everywhere. Driving down the street and seeing a homeless person and give him a couple bucks, that gives me inspiration. Watching the construction worker working in 25-degree Virginia weather when I'm in my car with the heat on and still freezing, that gives me inspiration. That all makes me train harder and makes me want to do my best."

He has a tough draw against Taurosevicius, a seasoned veteran who has been fighting since 2002. Taurosevicius has three losses while Semerzier has none, but Semerzier isn't taking Taurosevicius lightly.

"I look at is a tough fight. The only time I really look at a fight as a loss is if someone gets stopped; if they get knocked out or submitted. If you lose on the scorecards, there was no ending. In the sport sense it was, but in the fight sense, you didn't really lose, you just ran out of time. He has a lots of fights and he's fought well. I know it's going to be a great fight."

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions