Yahoo: WEC 46 interview: Brown was mentally shot before Aldo fight

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
01-05-2010 10:15 AM:

Many fight fans were shocked to see Mike Brown lose so easily against Jose Aldo Jr. at WEC 44. Brown, who had crept into the top 10 pound-for-pound for some, was blasted out in just over six minutes by the young Brazilian. Brown's training partner Thiago Alves told Cagewriter at UFC 107 that he knew his buddy was in trouble before fight. The former WEC featherweight champ admitted such saying that he wanted to be anywhere but in that cage the night he lost the title. The reason? Just six days before the fight, Brown suffered a nasty cut from an Alves' knee in training. It required 18 stitches over his right eye.

""I knew it was going to come open. I was like mentally, 'what the hell am I doing?'" said Brown. "My mind wasn't perfect for the fight and with Aldo you gotta be on."

Brown said it was hard to muster up the moxie to fight.

"The whole experience, I didn't truly want to be there. I was just kind of punching in the clock. It wasn't my night."

Brown (22-5, 4-1 WEC) said if he gets another shot at Aldo Jr. he's going to be a lot more aggressive and may alter his body type. Brown pointed out that he just noticed a change over the last year with regard to his power.

"Training for five round fights, I was doing a lot of boxing and a lot of running. I think I got a little smaller and little less explosive. And I lost some of my power."

Brown, 34, is going to be integral part of the WEC's plan at 145 pounds in 2010. He told MMAMania he just signed a new five-fight deal. It starts this Saturday at WEC 46 in Sacramento against Anthony Morrison (12-6, 0-0 WEC).

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions