Yahoo: Te Huna, Dolloway and Lytle early winners at UFC 110

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
02-20-2010 09:33 PM:James Te Huna stopped Igor Pokrajac at 3:26 of the opening round to the delight of the raucous sellout crowd, taking him down and pounding him out on the ground. Referee Steve Percival jumped in after giving Pokrajac a chance to fight back.

Pokrajac gave a thumbs up to the referee just before it was stopped, but Te Huna had mount and was raining down blows.

Pokrajac managed to hurt Te Huna at the end of the second round, blasting him with an elbow and then dropping with him a right.

Te Huna, though, recovered quickly and dominated the third. The New Zealander fighting relatively close to home in in Sydney, Australia is now 12-4 with wins in six straight. Pokrajac (21-7, 0-2 UFC), a former protege of Mirko Filipovic, has lost both of his UFC fights.

DOLLOWAY UPSETS RELJIC VIA SPLIT DECISION

While he was laid up with injuries, there was a lot of hype surrounding Croatian kickboxer Goran Rejlic. C.B. Dolloway ignored all of it, A one-time wrestler at Arizona State, Dollaway did his best work on his feet, landing some hard shots.
But he had a difficult time with Reljic, who had several very good submission attempts. All three judges scored it 29-28 for Dollaway. Yahoo! Sports had it 29-28 for Reljic.

"I was real happy, because I wasn't sharp at my last fight," Dollaway said. "Certain circumstances allowed me not to (be sharp), but I came back and showed the real C.B. Dollaway."

After an upset loss at UFC 100 versus Tom Lawlor, this makes two straight wins for Dolloway (10-2, 4-2 UFC). The runnerup on season eight of "The Ultimate Fighter" also cashed as a plus-150 underdog. The 6-foot-4 Reljic, who dropped from light heavyweight, is now 1-1 in the UFC. This was his first fight in nearly 21 months.

WELTERWEIGHT GATEKEEPER LYTLE STOPS FOSTER

The underappreciated Chris Lytle did it again. Lytle, in his 16th UFC fight, scored a first-round finish of rising prospect Brian Foster. Lytle (27-17, 7-9 UFC), a fireman by trade, scored a kneebar at 1:41 of the first round.

Foster had taken Lytle down and appeared to have gotten Lytle's back. Lytle quickly went for the knee and forced Foster to quickly tap.

"What a lot of people don't know, I've been a ground guy a lot longer than I've been doing standup," Lytle said. "I try to keep it a secret and make them think I'm a standup guy. I have a pretty good ground game."

He said as soon as Foster took his back, he began thinking submission.

"That's an old school move and a lot of the time, they don't see it coming," Lytle said. If a guy takes my back, I immediately go for that knee."

Lytle's last submission victory came in 2007 against Matt Brown.

Kevin Iole contributed to this report

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.