Yahoo: Serra does some fist-pumping on Trigg's face

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
02-06-2010 11:28 PM:Matt Serra is definitely New York through and through. His video blogs this week were filled with hilarious back and forth banter with his trainer Ray Longo. He even joked that they may be bound for Season 2 of "Jersey Shore." That's perfect.

A jiu-jitsu ace, Serra definitely knows how to use his fists. Frank Trigg chose to duke it out with the diminutiive Serra and paid the price just over two minutes into the fight. Trigg threw a sloppy left hand, left it out there for way too long and got crushed by a Serra right-hand counter. Trigg fell to his back, where Serra bounced his head off the canvas three times before the referee stopped it.

Serra opened the UFC 109 pay-per-view with a win at 2:23 of the first round.

"Frank is such a stud wrester, I really have a lot of respect for him," said Serra. "He does well with jiu-jitsu guys because of his ground-and-pound. I believe in my standup. I'm not the prettiest guy on the pads, but when I land it hurts."

Shortly after the stoppage, Trigg could be seen asking "What happened" and once he got to his feet, he was yelling, "That's [expletive]." But he came to his senses quickly and admitted the stoppage was proper.

Serra wanted to test Trigg's boxing and stand-up defense.

"I think the power comes from being so stocky, you thought I would say short," joked the 5-foot-6 Serra. "I wanted to work a lot on the body and work my way up."

Serra (10-6, 7-6 UFC) was the more aggressive and crisp striker throughout. He also seemed to throw his punches with a lot more conviction. He snapped a two-fight losing streak with the victory. Serra, a former UFC welterweight champ, probably won't get another shot at Georges St. Pierre. His loss at UFC 98 to Matt Hughes was close and he does deserve that rematch. It would certainly be a sellable fight and one that would motivate Hughes. First Hughes has to get by Renzo Gracie at UFC 112 in early April.

This was the second straight quick KO loss for Trigg (19-8, 2-5 UFC) in his second go round with the promotion. At 37 years old, this may have been his last fight in the UFC. He certainly has the name and drawing power to fight for smaller promotions.

Speaking to Cagewriter before this fight, it sounded like Trigg was ready to jump full-time into sports broadcasting if he lost to Serra. Trigg was the color voice for PRIDE before it was purchased by the UFC.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions