Yahoo: Mir adds bulk, Tuchscherer doesn't think it'll work against Lesnar

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
01-22-2010 03:10 PM:

Brock Lesnar is back and guys like Chris Tuchscherer and Cole Konrad are feeling the effects of the big guy being out of action for three months. The heavyweight prospects are training partners of the UFC's heavyweight champ. So more than anyone they can tell you what it's like to be in the monster's clutches. Combating Lesnar's freakish strength is something every UFC heavyweight contender has to deal with. It was such an eye opener for the 243-pound Frank Mir at UFC 100, that he embarked on a weight gain mission to make sure he isn't physically overpowered by the 280-pound Lesnar if he gets another shot.

As Tuchscherer looks forward to his second fight in the UFC, he spoke with ESPNRadio1100 about Mir's efforts to bulk up.

"Frank Mir can put on all the weight he wants but when you're not someone who is used to having all that weight on you, you still have to know how to use that muscle weight."

It may not make any difference for Mir, who is hoping to eventually cut down from 280 pounds to the 265 limit.

"It's not like if he puts on 30 pounds of muscle that he's just going to all of a sudden be this monster of a guy. Learning how to control someone on the ground that's what Brock does the best."

Tuchscherer is hungry to make up for what was a frustrating debut at UFC 102 against Gabriel Gonzaga. He got drilled by a kick to the groin and laid on the ground for nearly five minutes. When he got up, he was out of it and Gonzaga pounced on him like wounded prey. Tuchscherer knew he wasn't ready to fight but it was an unclear mess in the Octagon.

"I'm asking them, 'if I quit is it a no contest or is it a loss on my record?' All they could tell me was 'can you continue?' They couldn't give me a straight answer. That told me they didn't know what the hell to do. I was just mad at the whole situation and said 'let's just go.'"

Tuchscherer (17-2, 0-1 UFC) admitted in hindsight that was probably a bad move. He gets a second lease on life in three weeks against Tim Hague at UFC 109.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.