Yahoo: Jones flips out: Is he ready for the spotlight?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
03-20-2010 09:55 PM:

Jon Jones has been unflappable to this point in his young UFC career. The kid is only 22 years old and carries himself in and out of the cage like he's had 15 fights with the promotion. There's always a calm about him. That was until today when showed a little too much emotion during the weigh-in for his fight against Brandon Vera. Jones got in Vera's face prompting UFC president Dana White to separate the fighters. Jones was still bouncing off the walls during a quickie interview with UFC analyst Joe Rogan.

Is there reason to worry about Jones? Is the pressure finally getting him? Jones said he's fine, it's just that Vera rubs him the wrong way.

"I'm not overwhelmed. I just really don't like Brandon as a person," Jones told Cagewriter shortly after the weigh-inl. "I just think he's disrespectful. I think he's arrogant. I think he's full of himself."

Jones (9-1, 4-1 UFC) admitted it was a good lesson to learn.

"I guess I let his arrogance get under my skin a little bit. It's just a learning experience. In the future I'll deal with talkers better."

Jones said a lot of the anger stems from the way Vera has spoken during the prefight.

"I'm finding a lot with Brandon, he has a lot to say with Mr. Jones. 'Mr. jones is the second coming of Jesus Christ' or 'he hasn't been kicked by me.'"

Vera (11-4, 7-4 UFC) does have a point. Jones was barely touched by guys like Matt Hamill, Stephan Bonnar and Jake O'Brien. Maybe that's a sign of how good Jones is?

"I'm sure every opponent I've ever fought wanted to hit me. To say that I haven't been yet that's not my problem. All these guys really wanted to hit me and they weren't able to land anything real devastating."

Jones admitted the weigh-in was probably a good test run for some of the emotions he feel tomorrow night just before the bout starts at UFC on Versus 1 in Broomfield, Co.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions