Yahoo: Injured Johnson guarantees he will fight Howard down the road

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
02-18-2010 04:17 PM:

It may be a while before Anthony Johnson returns from a knee injury that forced the cancellation of his much-anticipated war against John Howard on Mar. 21. Johnson and Howard were talking a lot of trash before "Rumble" had to bail with a torn meniscus in his left knee. As much as he dislikes Howard, Johnnson had to think with his head not his heart.
"I ain't dumb enough to fight this guy. After so much trash talking between me and him," said Johnson. "That would be dumb to go in there."

Johnson injured the knee in practice but it's been problematic for his last five fights. He was going to visit a doctor today and hopes to get the knee surgically repaired in the next few weeks.

Johnson wanted to make it clear this wasn't a way to avoid Howard.

"I promise you we're gonna fight no matter what. We will fight. Can I say when? No. When my knee is fixed and 100 percent. Oh hell yeah."

If you think the nastiness is phony, Johnson said that's ridiculous. The fighters don't like each other and he confirmed Howard's story that they almost got into it outside the UFC office at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas before UFC 109.

"When I was walking out. He was sitting there staring at me. Was it there, that one of us could've snapped at any second, and just punched one another? Oh yeah. it could've happened any second. Just one word, I knew it would've happened [but] we're professionals and we know when to do it." Johnson has taken a beating on the Internet. Some fans thought he was making excuses after his loss to Koscheck and others have sided with Howard in their war of words.

"I don't care. I know what's going on with me. People can say what they want to say. They're always going to talk. The media's going to blow stuff up. If you're dumb enough to believe the media then go ahead that's your choice."

Well there! Ignore this whole story or file it away because when these actually step into the cage, it's going to be a nasty fight. Hopefully Howard gets by Daniel Roberts at UFC on Versus 1.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions