Yahoo: Get the memo to Shane: Carwin calls Mir 'a terrible human being'

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
02-24-2010 06:40 PM:
ept_sports_mma_experts-872147845-1267051388.jpg

The UFC battened down the hatches yesterday after Frank Mir's comments on a Pittsburgh radio show.

"I want to break [Lesnar's] neck in the ring. I want him to be the first person that dies due to Octagon-related injuries."

Apparently, everyone didn't get the message or memo to shut the heck up about the situation. Without seeing or hearing the comments, Mir's opponent at UFC 111, Shane Carwin, lost it to a certain extent on Mir.

"I can tell you that ANY athlete wishing death upon a competitor is either a terrible human being or mentally unfit to fight," Carwin told the U.K.'s MMABay. "That type of talk and if it ever happened will take this sport backwards. Frank has been a part of the stone ages of MMA and it makes no sense why he would want or make comments that might damage a lot of the good HE has participated in adding to this sport over the years."

No word yet on whether the Counsel to the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board, Nick Lembo will demand that Mir be put through a battery of tests to determine his mental fitness.

Carwin went on to say think what you want about Lesnar, but he's still a human being.

"Brock is a heel in the ring but at home he is a human, husband, father and friend to many. Wishing death or harm upon him doesn't serve any purpose. I will do my best to make Frank's dream of fighting Brock come true, unfortunately for them it will be a three round fight as I plan on winning both of those belts."

Now to the subject of "die," "kill" and "murder" being part of fighters' vernacular.

Thinking back, we're finding plenty of examples where fighters have employed this kind of language. B.J. Penn on several occasions including screaming "You're dead" at Sean Sherk in the Octagon. Penn also said he would "kill" Georges St. Pierre during the extended Countdown to UFC 94 series. A Penn opponent, Kenny Florian talked about "killing" the master in the Octagon when asking for a UFC lightweight title fight. Then there's Lesnar, who went a step further actually using the word "murder" before UFC 100:

"I'm gonna murder him," Lesnar told Maxim. "I count the days and the nights before I get to do that."

Sounds like this is simply a case of Mir's comments being blown up nationally and Lesnar's staying off the radar. The argument against that would be referencing Dana White's own words when he said Herschel Walker in the UFC would be the first "death" in MMA.

That got plenty of publicity on the front page of Yahoo! But there was no apology in that instance.

Thanks to Watch Kalib Run for the Maxim quotes

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions