Yahoo: Date change for UFC 113? UFC watching Mayweather news closely

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
01-18-2010 06:19 PM:
ept_sports_mma_experts-669347747-1263853613.jpg

The wheels are turning today in boxing and it could have a significant effect on what the April or May schedule looks like in MMA. Rumors began swirling over the weekend that Floyd Mayweather may be targeting Shane Mosley for a fight on May 1 in Las Vegas. Why is that date significant? It's the same day the UFC was tentatively scheduled for UFC 113 in Montreal and the highly anticipated Shogun Rua-Lyoto Machida rematch. Adding some more spice to the Mayweather-Mosley rumor is the fact that Fightnews.com is reporting that Andre Berto just pulled out of the Jan. 30 fight against Mosley. Berto, a Haitian said he couldn't prepared mentally for the fight with the recent earthquake:

Berto said, "Since the 7.0 earthquake struck Haiti on Tuesday evening, I have been focusing on my family and the Haitian people who are facing an inconceivable battle for survival while still trying to continue to prepare for an opportunity I have dreamt of since childhood. I lost several family members to the earthquake and after two days without word, was relieved to learn that my sister, Naomi and her daughter, Jessica survived, but were left homeless. I have seen the pain in my parents&rsquo; eyes as they attempt to understand what has happened to our homeland and recognize a place they once called home.

As a result of this disaster, I am mentally and physically exhausted and therefore I have no choice but to withdraw from my bout on January 30.

Throughout the past six days, I have received an incredible outpouring of support, and I sincerely appreciate everyone&rsquo;s prayers for the people of Haiti. I hope that everyone will continue to keep the Haitian people in their thoughts and prayers as we work to rebuild this proud nation. The rebuilding of Haiti is not something that will happen overnight, but I am fully dedicated to helping the Haitian people recover from this catastrophic event."

Sources with the UFC have indicated every date in May at the Bell Centre was reserved by the promotion just in case Manny Pacquiao-Mayweather landed on May 1. Mosley and Mayweather isn't quite as big but it is a mega-fight and would certainly put a dent in the UFC pay-per-views hopes if the cards went head-to-head. May 8 or 15 would the logical choices with the UFC slated to his Las Vegas at the end of the month with UFC 114.

Meanwhile, Josh Koscheck confirmed via twitter the much-rumored fight against Paul Daley at UFC 113.

ept_sports_mma_experts-504153396-1263853764.jpg

As far as the May 1 date change, it's purely speculation. The Mosley-Mayweather could easily be held anywhere from late March to early May. A head-to-head Mosley-Mayweather PPV battle against Pacquiao-Joshua Clottey on Mar. 13 is still a possibility. So are April dates, the 10th and 17th, which might screw up any Strikeforce plans to hit Las Vegas at the Thomas & Mack.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions