Yahoo: Controversy at UFC 110: Head butt gives Soszynski the win

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
02-20-2010 10:59 PM:Krzysztof Soszynski escaped a tough one with a shaky blow that ripped open a huge gash on Stephan Bonnar's head. The Canadian was awarded a TKO victory at 1:04 of the third round in the final undercard fight at UFC 110. Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Iole reported that it did not appear to be the result of a clean Soszynski strike.

Bonnar took another loss on his record, but this one was perhaps undeserved. He was cut wide open on the top middle of his forehead by a head butt in the third round as he and Krzysztof Soszynski were each throwing a punch.

Soszynski had been in control of the fight and got the win when referee John Sharp ruled the cut was caused by a punch.

"I was feeling strong in the third round and I was excited to keep going," Bonnar said. "Sorry guys: I wanted to give you a few more minutes of entertainment."

But Soszynski (19-9, 4-1 UFC) was very impressive and was frequently beating Bonnar to the punch. Bonnar has lost three straight and 5-of-7. Under normal circumstances, he may in jeopardy of being dumped from the UFC roster. The circumstances of this decision keeps him in a safe position. Bonnar (11-7, 5-6 UFC) also has a special place in Dana White's heart. The UFC president often points to the Bonnar-Forrest Griffin fight at the season one "Ultimate Fighter Finale" on Spike as the fight that saved the promotion.

Kevin Iole contributed to this report

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.