KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone recognize that Wing Chun?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh my that was horrible. Sparring really says a lot about one's training. Wing Chun guy better find a better skilled opponent before he tackles the MMA guy.

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ugh...

The Flores guy is a teacher of a certain Vietnamese Wing Chun branch, which seems to have strayed very far from the original principles. The Vietnamese lineages all seem to be very different even compared to each other and sometimes even awkward-looking to the standard YM WC practicioner.

(Flores' lineage: Yuan Chai Wan -> Ho Hai Long -> Nam Anh -> Flores)

I think Flores is an egoistic ******* with lots of balls and little skill. Here's a video of him getting his face slapped by an Hanoi lineage guy. I think it tells everything:

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good stuff! Thanks Sean! And I noted that this clip looked a bit different than your previous clip. No high covers. No ducking and weaving. More "pure" WSLVT, if there is such a thing. ;)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That was a good clip! If there's an interest in promoting WSL-VT, that's the way to do it, not by spouting off like an arrogant a$$ (as some folks tend to do) :D. In response to KPM's comment about it being more like "pure" VT/WC, I see his point, but I'd also point out the good use of sprawling (not really traditional VT/WC) when the other, non-VT fighter shoots in. FWIW I like that. Functionality is, after all, the bottom line --right?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ugh...

The Flores guy is a teacher of a certain Vietnamese Wing Chun branch, which seems to have strayed very far from the original principles. The Vietnamese lineages all seem to be very different even compared to each other and sometimes even awkward-looking to the standard YM WC practicioner.

(Flores' lineage: Yuan Chai Wan -> Ho Hai Long -> Nam Anh -> Flores)

I think Flores is an egoistic ******* with lots of balls and little skill. Here's a video of him getting his face slapped by an Hanoi lineage guy. I think it tells everything:
Nice lol. people really should train to fight before challenging others. Maybe then they will see no need to challenge.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
is the guy in Lobo66 video a WSLVT guy? I saw him do some things that are not consistent with what I've read from LFJ. I don't know if this guy trains with PB or MK?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is an old clip of one of my students sparring against two guys from the local MMA school.
His two opponents participate regularly in pancrase competitions and one (the guy with no shirt) was even national champion in his weight class.

This type of training really brings something. The OP video is just a joke.

Much better than the OP video of Wing Chun. There was none of the fancy "fake me out" movements. Very practical with every motion serving a purpose. I know it's an old video, but on the last shoot, when the Wing Chun guy didn't escape, It may have been possible for him to not have been on his back if he just putt all of his weight on the his opponents back by leaning forward onto his opponent once his opponent had his legs. It looks like he tried an under hook, but it got caught under his own leg. It was too late at that point. Either way. that was a good representation of Wing Chun (by representation I mean someone actually use it)

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
...I'd also point out the good use of sprawling (not really traditional VT/WC) when the other, non-VT fighter shoots in. FWIW I like that. Functionality is, after all, the bottom line --right?

if someone is attacking under my arm, I would most likely respond with a jum sau and possibly a pivot or step to push myself away from them to maintain my space.
Using a sprawl is much the same thing, only our whole body is jum sau as we push ourselves away

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
is the guy in Lobo66 video a WSLVT guy? I saw him do some things that are not consistent with what I've read from LFJ. I don't know if this guy trains with PB or MK?

Sean stated that the guy in the video is his student. So yes, WSLVT. But I don't know whether Sean studied with PB or MK.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sean stated that the guy in the video is his student. So yes, WSLVT. But I don't know whether Sean studied with PB or MK.

I'd be interested to learn if that student came to Sean from another style of WC/VT...

Lobo66

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,
No, that student didn't come to me from another style of WC. His only other experience in martial arts comes from judo (historically very popular here in France) and the workshops in grappling and ground fighting that we've organized with Tim Cartmell.

I myself studied (study) Ving Tsun with Michael Kurth.

Reactions: KPM

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did a seminar with Tim Cartmell many many years ago. Good guy! A friend of mine has studied Ba Gua and Hsing I with him as well as BJJ.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey guys,
No, that student didn't come to me from another style of WC. His only other experience in martial arts comes from judo (historically very popular here in France) and the workshops in grappling and ground fighting that we've organized with Tim Cartmell.

I myself studied (study) Ving Tsun with Michael Kurth.

Ok. Cool. Thx for the info.
The reason I am asking is that, from what I've read on forums about WSLVT/PB etc ... you guys are taught to just punch and that the punch arm functions as two limbs with offense and defense contained within it. One beat.
I've also read / learned that you use things like pak and jut and bong to 'clear the way'. I.E... one of your punches gets jammed up somehow, you then cycle the Wu forward to pak/jut/bong the obstruction out of the way so you can return to the main weapon ie punching.
LFJ has said that to pak first, then immediately follow it with the punch is putting the cart before the horse.
In the first 30 seconds or so...the VT guy does a pak then punch's through the cleared line.
Would that be considered a mistake on his part?
Thanks in advance for any feedback...

Lobo66

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
@KPM
Tim is simply awesome. The only person I've met who has really used his xing yi, ba gua and tai ji in full contact mma competitions....and won! His grappling and BJJ is also out of this world. If any of you guys are out near Huntington Beach, go check him out for sure!

@wckf92
He's using pak/da to counter the punch. This we do not consider a mistake. It's one of many options. Initiating a pak from the rear hand against a static opponent would be a mistake (If I'm in wu/man sau with my left arm forward and I have contact with the outside of my opponent's left arm, initiating a pak sau with my right hand would be considered a mistake).

Reactions: KPM