Xingyi - Pa kwa practioners... A question.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone, and thanks for enduring my endless questions and prattle. However, not to be deterred... I have a new one.

Are the Robert W. Smith Books on "Hsing-i" and "Pa-kwa" good investments?

Thanks...

Dan

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard of the them but never have looked into them.

If you're after written materials, I'd look for Sun lu-tang's Xingyi Quan Xue. The book is top shelf material. I'd assume his bagua is too, but I've never read it.

Also anything by Jiang Rong-qiao as well.

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sigung86 said:
Hi everyone, and thanks for enduring my endless questions and prattle. However, not to be deterred... I have a new one.

Are the Robert W. Smith Books on "Hsing-i" and "Pa-kwa" good investments?

Thanks...

Dan
They might be good reminders for external form (I have the Hsing-i book, but it's in a box I haven't looked through in years, so I can't say for sure) , but getting anything else from a Xingyi book is largely a waste of time, since the postures give very little clue as to what's going on.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
eyebeams said:
They might be good reminders for external form (I have the Hsing-i book, but it's in a box I haven't looked through in years, so I can't say for sure) , but getting anything else from a Xingyi book is largely a waste of time, since the postures give very little clue as to what's going on.
Ain't that the truth!

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Here is an interesting list of why Master Mancuso likes Ba Gua. Interesting Stuff!

http://www.plumpub.com/info/knotebook/inb10.htm

they have lots of instructional material, including Smith's books and others that may be more appropriate for you, and he has a comprehensive course on two vhs cassettes. i don't own them but they are on my wish list!

J

j_m

TaiChiTJ said:
Here is an interesting list of why Master Mancuso likes Ba Gua. Interesting Stuff!

http://www.plumpub.com/info/knotebook/inb10.htm

they have lots of instructional material, including Smith's books and others that may be more appropriate for you, and he has a comprehensive course on two vhs cassettes. i don't own them but they are on my wish list!

I own the two vhs tapes mentioned. They are first class. FWIW. :ultracool

I've heard that Smith's books are quite outdated and there are numerous books available with more detailed and better inforamtion. I've looked through Smith's books and they are interesting... but I wouldn't put them at the top of my book wish list. There is probably much better resources available today that would be better money spent.

jm

Latest Discussions