X-Men 3 trailer

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was sad to see that gambit didnt make it in,apperantly the producer thought that his character resembled logans too much.....what part im not sure....them damn producer ruin everything....look at hulk...oh my green dogs?!?!have you guys seen the new superman trailer?wow.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Navarre said:
As for Rogue, the first movie showed her powers manifest for the first time. Therefore, this is all before Rogue absorbed Ms. Marvel's powers (including flight). Of course, they've also changed Rogue's connection to Mystique, the composition of The Brotherhood, Rogue's relationship with Iceman, and so on.

That's all well and good, but they still totally screwed up Rogue's character. In the comics, she was adopted by Mystique and became a villain. She stole Ms. Marvel's powers - and memory - and totally kicked the X-Men around the first time she met them. She only turned good because she was desperately trying to deal with Ms. Marvel's memories, and turned to Professor X for help. And of course all the other X-Men didn't trust Rogue at first.

I heard that the X-Men movie producers didn't want to deal with the special effects involved with making someone fly, which is why Anne Paquin's Rogue is earthbound. Personally, I think that's a stupid reason - especially when you had Neo flying around in the Matrix movies.

Can you tell that Rogue is my favorite X-Men character?

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
Can you tell that Rogue is my favorite X-Men character?

Rogue is very near the top of my favorite character list. She is an outstanding character.

They could have her fly easily, you're right. They could also have given her an accurate history. However to do so would have meant a completely different movie as her entry into the X-Men would have been a major plotline for the entire film.

I think the movies have done her a tremendous disservice. However, I don't think it's as much her lack of flight or skewed history as it is failing to capture the heart of this character.

Rogue is one of the most tragic characters in comics. She is a young woman of incredible passion forced to endure torturous isolation because of her power. To bear witness to what the most average person may share with another but be so unable to know the touch of passion or hug of affection is very sad.

They vaguely make such statements in the film but dilute it by involving her with Bobby Drake. Even though it's shown that they can't express all we can, I don't think they do nearly enough to exhibit the emotional pain Rogue endures.

They have been content to make Wolverine the star (as does Marvel in most things). They are not utilizing Rogue's character to its fullest.

Comic book movies would do well to draw more female viewers. They need characters that females can care about. Releasing crap like Electra and Catwoman makes the situation worse.

If they would show Rogue for all she is and use her correctly, they would have a much more "human" element. This is what makes people care.

It is why movies like Serenity can be appreciated by even those who don't like sci-fi. Rogue could be the reason comic book movies get the same regard.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Navarre said:
They have been content to make Wolverine the star (as does Marvel in most things). They are not utilizing Rogue's character to its fullest.

Comic book movies would do well to draw more female viewers. They need characters that females can care about. Releasing crap like Electra and Catwoman makes the situation worse.

If they would show Rogue for all she is and use her correctly, they would have a much more "human" element. This is what makes people care.

The problem is with the x-men movie is everyone has thier own fav character,the writers and producer will always end up annoying some fans with the way they portray certain characters since they cant make everyone centre stage.(or get their story right!)

The beef i have with marvel is I find their writers bloody annoying,they create origins for charaters and then two months later when they're bored of that one they create a completely different one and use the 'implanted memory' line.

Beast was an orignal X-man when he was in human form yet he's not in the first film.why!?!

and vinnie jones as juggernaught?!!? vinnie better get his butt in the gym!

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If they ever made a movie exploring all of the subplots that run through a typical X-men comic, it would be around 8 hours long. I think they've done a decent job bringing the characters to the screen. They even tried to throw in a few things that only "insiders" would get, like Toad's line in the first movie, "Don't you people ever die?!"

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My question is why are they bringing Callisto in? Are they bringing the rest of the Moorlocks as well? But I gotta say... their Callisto looks much better than the comic Callisto.

Also... why Omega Red? Is he just a flash memory from somebody? Wolvie has a history with him. Is OR gonna be a flashback now?

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree that it isn't realistic to give proper attention to every character. In that regard, however, they should limit the number of characters in the film and focus on them more.

Their approach is one of marketing though. It's more interesting for the fans to see the new character brought in for each film.

That makes it even more impossible to accurately recreate the comic's history though. Beast is only now being brought in for the same reason Angel is. Original X-Men or not, it didn't fit the story they wanted to tell.

No one will ever be completely pleased by the films, you're right. I think they've done a great job overall.

My suggestion is that they should invlove us a little more in some of the current characters, especially Rogue (for reasons stated earlier). They do centralize the movies around Wolverine too much.

The plot of the second movie was driven by his character. If they are doing a version of The Dark Phoenix Saga in X3 then Logan will again be prominent due to his connection to Jean.

There is also serious talks of a stand-alone Wolverine movie. I think they need to focus on some other characters.

I can't pick up a Marvel comic without seeing Wolverine and/or Spider-Man in it somewhere. I could do without the movies being the same way.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree that Rogue had the possibility of being a break-out character. They have banked on Wolverine and his claws.

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I agree that Rogue had the possibility of being a break-out character. They have banked on Wolverine and his claws.

And history has shown that Wolverine sells the product. That's fine because I like Logan too.

Rogue has a higher sympathy factor than Logan. That, mixed with her passion, wit, powers, potential, and gender would all make her a very marketable character as well.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A Wolverine-only movie would be a big commercial success. But a Rogue-only movie could do what Elektra should have done, if it hadn't been such a horribly bad film--bring out the non-action side of comics a bit more.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rogue without Ms Marvel powers will tank in a stand alone movie. Also no inclusion of Remy LeBeau with sink it further. Remy actually needed to be included in this movie. That character with Wolverine would seriously throw the movie over the top.

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Rogue without Ms Marvel powers will tank in a stand alone movie. Also no inclusion of Remy LeBeau with sink it further. Remy actually needed to be included in this movie. That character with Wolverine would seriously throw the movie over the top.

No, no! I don't think Rogue should have a stand-alone movie!

You're right, it would likely bomb. I just think they should focus on her more in the current franchise.

As for Gambit, they've almost nullified his existance by having Rogue be involved with Bobby. There has been talk of adding him but so far it doesn't seem likely.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think from the logo alone it should be obvious that X3 will feature Wolverine prominently. As I understand it, a major theme will be Logan stepping up as a leader after the "loss" of Jean.

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It doesn't seem that Scott (Cyclops) has ever been presented in a very good light, either in the comics or movies. My wife can't stand "the whiney boyscout" and wishes Jean were with Logan.

This seems like the concensus from most everyone I talk to. I wonder if we were even ever supposed to like Scott or if he is a clever foil to the Jean/Logan romance.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Especially in the movies, Cyclops has been a wasted character. He's these mostly to give Logan someone to snap at, it seems.

The Beast was always a favorite of mine...but, I can't picture Kelsey Grammar in that role. I hope it isn't pure comedic relief (even though that was always one of the Beast's functions).

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the wit of Kelsey Grammer as Frasier and the wit of Henry McCoy is very similar. I don't think they will use the Beast as a joker tpye but with the sardonic wit that befits him.

So far they've remained essentially true to each character's personality; they just haven't shown us enough of most of them.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I think from the logo alone it should be obvious that X3 will feature Wolverine prominently. As I understand it, a major theme will be Logan stepping up as a leader after the "loss" of Jean.

Yeah...but weren't Storm and Cyclops the X-Men's leaders in the comics? Though they both have been mishandled in the movies.

Don't get me wrong, I like Logan too, but all Wolverine all the time gets really boring after a while.

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
I like Logan too, but all Wolverine all the time gets really boring after a while.

Amen, Swordlady. That's my point too.

And yes, Storm and Cyclops were team leaders. This was largely true at the time when The X-Men series began (as opposed to The Uncanny X-Men).

I don't think they will have Wolverine be "the leader" but it won't matter. He wasn't the field leader in the last two films.

This still didn't stop the entire plot of X2 and most of X-Men from revolving around him while Cyclops got the snot kicked out of him in 10 seconds by Deathstrike (who Wolverine later defeated in a magnificent battle, of course).

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I cant help but thinking why on gods green earth juggernaught is in the film played by Vinnie jones.....vinnie jones has the face but old jug's in the size of a bloody house!what would you try to put him in the film??

Iv seen beast he looks remarkably good,well done to the make-up team on that one.