X-kan Home training.

Boondoggleyou

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forums.
I made this thread so all X-kan practitioners could learn from each others training routine or training Ideas. Hopefully to help everyone gain new ideas to help progress there own training if they wish.

Anything from homemade striking targets, to Kyoketsu Shoge techniques, etc. etc.

Any and all ideas for all types of training are acceptable.

If your anything like me you can only strike air so many thousands of times before your neighbors call the police(Literally)

I hope everyone benefits from this thread.

OP
Boondoggleyou

Boondoggleyou

White Belt
Reaction score
I thought I would start this thread off with how to make some decent homemade training targets for various weapons.

FIGURE 1: For training weapons, such as various blades, sticks, and chain weapons I use the following.
----------Get a 8' long 4x6" which will be buried 2' into the ground, then I screw on a 2 foot long 2x4" at shoulder height.
(The entire target should look like a Cross)
From here I use a saw to cut a 45 degree angle at the "head" section, so when you practice any "Men strike" with either a Bokken, Bo, etc. you will not dent your wooden weapon on the hard corners of the wood. (you can do this at the do, and ashi section of the target as well)
(This is the basic design, you can add additional limbs if you wish to practice more complex Kyoketsu shoge, or Kusarigama techniques for "entangling" your opponet).
Now from here I add red (any color will do) duct tape at the Men, Do, and Ashi. This gives you a good target for any strike you wish.

FIGURE 2: Or maybe you wish for a way to practice Shuriken.
First find a good size wall that is somewhere in your "training" area.
(this is the area in your yard that no longer has any growing grass lol)
----------Find a 3x7' plyboard, then nail or attach it to your wall in some manner. From here get a friend and have him stand next to the Plywood and Trace him with Pencil.
Once you modify your design to whatever you wish, retrace the line with a permanent Marker.
(you can draw in addtional features from here, eyes, throat, etc.)

FIGURE 3: Or maybe you wish to practice just dakentaijutsu.
-----------Find a 8 foot long 4x4' bury 2feet into the ground, round off any area you wish to strike with your hands.
From here find some 1' foam padding and duct tape onto the wood. Or you can use quater inch rope, wrap multible times around the desired area, then Duct tape over it to smooth it off.
This is great for any striking you wish to do, and will not damage your hands.

Now I understand these targets may not make your "Tactics" any better, God forbid... , but they will help improve your taijutsu, which is the entire foundation of all Bujinkan technique/Kata, with and without weapons, am I wrong?

Please if anyone else can share any of there ideas, me and I'm sure others would love to hear. (Any type of home training)

Latest Discussions