Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wyoming?

Why do they not get the publicity?

They had their primary before New Hampshire.

The two states have the same number of "Votes" to be won for the parties. I am confused why their opinion does not seem to matter.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wyoming?

Why do they not get the publicity?

They had their primary before New Hampshire.

The two states have the same number of "Votes" to be won for the parties. I am confused why their opinion does not seem to matter.
It may be because Wyoming is sparsely populated. From what I could tell when I lived in Cheyenne, it seems to be fairly conservative.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Partially because it was only a Republican Primary, the Democratic primary is next month.

edit (didn't address the question)

I suspect the Republican party is pretty disappointed with the results of moving their primary earlier than before, I suspect they wanted more attention than they got. But we never get much attention, so why should it change? Sure helped Mitt in the standings though.

Lamont

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For such a huge state, they have a tiny population and thus, few electoral votes.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am confused why their opinion does not seem to matter

can't wait to see the look on your face when you realize yours doesn't either...

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why is their, Wyoming's so few less in importance than the same number in New Hampshire.

I could see if it was an issue of only one party then it could seem to be biased. But I am still confused with 14 being less important than 14.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Why is their, Wyoming's so few less in importance than the same number in New Hampshire.

I could see if it was an issue of only one party then it could seem to be biased. But I am still confused with 14 being less important than 14.

In absolute terms it is equally important, in campaign logistics it is completely different. To give you some perspective, my county (Sweetwater) is a bit larger than the state of New Hampshire, it's population is 38,000.

It makes alot more sense to run some radio ads, do some mailers, and call it good. The media doesn't really enjoy covering other media's radio ads or mailers so they stay in NH where the candidates are. Even if a candidate did come to Wyoming they wouldn't get the press coverage that a small east coast state would, it just isn't going to happen, we don't have the media outlets to influence the rest of the state. A good sound bite in Wyoming will show up on the single somewhat well distributed news broadcast in the state. If you do that in NH, every major 5:00 news spot will lead with it.

Lamont

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In absolute terms it is equally important, in campaign logistics it is completely different. To give you some perspective, my county (Sweetwater) is a bit larger than the state of New Hampshire, it's population is 38,000.

It makes alot more sense to run some radio ads, do some mailers, and call it good. The media doesn't really enjoy covering other media's radio ads or mailers so they stay in NH where the candidates are. Even if a candidate did come to Wyoming they wouldn't get the press coverage that a small east coast state would, it just isn't going to happen, we don't have the media outlets to influence the rest of the state. A good sound bite in Wyoming will show up on the single somewhat well distributed news broadcast in the state. If you do that in NH, every major 5:00 news spot will lead with it.

Lamont

So in a day and age when people are saying that the population vote is good as we have the technology to cover it in a timely manner, this is an issue of not being able to meet in front of enough people to make it count.

I find it very sad that this is the case. In my opinion until this state and every state can be given equal time and consideration there is a problem.

I understand the bang for your buck mentality but I find it hard to swallow.

Thank you for the insight.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I understand the bang for your buck mentality but I find it hard to swallow.

I just think it makes it necessary for me to work harder to understand a candidates positions. I really don't think that a candidate showing up at the local church is going to sway me anyway.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Lamont, you had a caucus, correct? Not a primary?

Participants had to publically stand up for whom they support, like in Iowa?

Rich Parsons, the Wyoming Republican Party organized this early caucus without the participation of, and I assume against the wishes of, the Republican National Committee. The RNC, as a disciplinary measure, are withholding one-half of the State's delegates.

Michigan is facing a similar situation with the Democratic Party.

I'm certain when the National Conventions roll around, there will be a couple of back-room meetings in which the State delegations are scolded, and everybody comes out 'ready to make nice'.

At some point, however, the insanity of the current system has to break down. As much fun as it is here in New Hampshire, it does create a bit of a poisoned system. Too much 'horse race', not enough 'position papers'

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lamont, you had a caucus, correct? Not a primary?

Participants had to publically stand up for whom they support, like in Iowa?

Rich Parsons, the Wyoming Republican Party organized this early caucus without the participation of, and I assume against the wishes of, the Republican National Committee. The RNC, as a disciplinary measure, are withholding one-half of the State's delegates.

Michigan is facing a similar situation with the Democratic Party.

I'm certain when the National Conventions roll around, there will be a couple of back-room meetings in which the State delegations are scolded, and everybody comes out 'ready to make nice'.

At some point, however, the insanity of the current system has to break down. As much fun as it is here in New Hampshire, it does create a bit of a poisoned system. Too much 'horse race', not enough 'position papers'

So because some wanted to also get their opinions out early are now being punished.

I know that all the three "front running" were to pull from the Michigan Democratic Primary, but one did not. I also thought that in the case of Michigan the ND party was going to not allow any of the Michigan votes to count at all.

So while this is true, or even if half, but a lot have pulled from the Michigan Democratic primary so there is no really choose to vote on their. I could concentrate on the Republican party only, but my questions have been about process and about candidates in general.

I was only trying to contribute in a positive manner.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have thought that this is rather curious as well Rich. During the New Hampshire primary while watching the talking heads on MSNBC they briefly mentioned it as if it was nothing. :erg: Go figure it has to mean something because someone won it. Even if it was just a Republican Primary that was held, someone won it so they should be accredited with the win? :shrug: