WWI-Era Dazzle Camouflage Could Protect Modern Military Vehicles Even Better than Old Ones

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
WWI-Era Dazzle Camouflage Could Protect Modern Military Vehicles Even Better than Old Ones
By Rebecca Boyle Posted 06.02.2011 at 11:45 am Popular Science EXCERPT:

Back in World Wars I and II, warships were painted with odd, cubist-looking geometric designs intended to confuse attacking weapons systems. But other than looking cool, no one was sure if these zebra-esque paint jobs accomplished much. Now a new study says the designs can protect modern military craft even better than they did in the past.
The designs, called “dazzle camouflage,” are supposed to throw off an enemy’s perception of a ship’s size, shape, speed and direction — all key variables when launching a torpedo attack. The study, conducted at the University of Bristol, England, is the first to show that dazzle camouflage can actually work.
High-contrast dazzle camouflage could throw off an attacker’s perception of a target’s speed by a wide enough margin to cause a miss, the researchers said.
“In a typical situation involving an (rocket-propelled grenade) attack on a Land Rover, the reduction in perceived speed would be sufficient to make the grenade miss where it was aimed by about a meter
END EXCERPT
This is just neat. Here is Wikipedia's article on Dazzle camouflage. Some weirdly cool looking stuff. Makes me want to paint my pick up.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
DO EET PAINT EET!!

I saw those camo paint jobs in history books.
I mean, car makers STILL paint their prototypes up funky, it supposedly dis guises it from paparatzi....

but how does it stack up against automated weapon systems?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unless the automated weapon system used optical tracking, Gran, I can't see that it would make much difference. Of course, if the paint reflected in the IR or radio (Radar) range then it might confuse things a bit, tho' that would depend on how the system parsed 'targets'.