Wu Ji Style

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hmm. Look at the feet of the gentleman in the video of the first seven postures. Do they seem to be stable, well-connected to the ground?

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just watched it. In a decent amount of it, they don't to me, but since I've never practiced tai chi, I can't be sure whether or not what I'm seeing is intentional or not.

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Looks like some kind of contemporary taiji derivative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You don't have to know taijiquan: if you've done martial arts, you should be able to tell that he can easily be pushed over. (Watch it full screen on a laptop to look at details.) Anyway, this isn't very good, in my opinion at least.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't have to know taijiquan: if you've done martial arts, you should be able to tell that he can easily be pushed over. (Watch it full screen on a laptop to look at details.) Anyway, this isn't very good, in my opinion at least.
I realized that, but was not sure if there was some reason for this that I was not aware of. That's why I said I didn't know if it was intentional. Similarly there are ways that a wing chun practitioner punches that I would otherwise think of as a really bad idea, but make sense in the context of WC

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I realized that, but was not sure if there was some reason for this that I was not aware of. That's why I said I didn't know if it was intentional.
Nope. Your instincts were correct (trust your feelings!). Regardless of style, taijiquan requires a good root. I don't see that here. In other words, in taijiquan, there's no reason to choose to be unstable when both feet are planted.

edit: Basically, the root is required so that practitioners can express or redirect forces (applied to them by an opponent) by using the ground as a base. Good foot contact also allows them to adjust their contact with the ground to suit changing forces applied to them: better contact is the "percentage play." Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope. Your instincts were correct (trust your feelings!). Regardless of style, taijiquan requires a good root. I don't see that here. In other words, in taijiquan, there's no reason to choose to be unstable when both feet are planted.

Thanks, I'll make sure to keep that in mind when I'm looking at videos of practitioners.

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Pete could you tell us more about wuji . Which branch of taiji line it came from? Who created it? When?

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Interesting, in 1940 Chen wasn't that widespread like in later years. Where did CJS learn Chen style prior 1940?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The style was created in the 1940s by Chen Ji Sheng, professor at Nanjing University, by modifying Chen style to incorporate a serious amount of Bagua and a subtle dose of Xingyi (tai chi body, bagua feet, xingyi hands) ...
That clip has strong Yang Taiji flavor, don't see much Chen Taiji, Xingyi, and Bagua flavors a all.

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
I will repeat my question: where founder of wuji style learned his Chen?

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We practice the whole art, meaning you will learn the principles and how to apply them, solo form, QiGong, Push Hands, Self Defense applications, and weapons. You will also have the opportunity to learn baguazhang.

Pete (the guy in the video)

Did the push hands practice and self defense come from your teacher?

Pittsburgh Arnis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone here had experience with Wu Ji style tai chi? I am considering trying tai chi, and this place appears to be the closest/most compatible with my schedule, so considering checking it out soon.

Silk Wind Studio - Silk Wind Studio Yoga Tai Chi Martial Arts 1 Schwab Road(in the Clock Tower Plaza)Melville / South HuntingtonLong Island NY 11747 NEWS: SPECIALOFFERExtended through 12/31 NEW STUDENTS5 Classes for $39click here for more info

If you want to see some videos on Wu style, look up Wang Pei Sheng on YouTube. He developed a 37 posture Wu style form. His student is in Pittsburgh (www.ycgf.org)

Latest Discussions