WTF new rules?

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If the olympic TKD is going to start to allow punching to the head, I just might convert!

I am curious as to how that will play out. You have a full contact competition where a certain amount of power is needed to score a point, then you have this one target area that will require a lot of control/minimum contact. Plus the fact that punching to the head with light contact will be easy when compared to landing a solid kick hard enough to score electronically.

The head punching rule seems like it will dramatically change the game. Not that it is a bad thing.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
TX_BB said:
The key to your statement is your target. If the ref knows your going after the leg they penalize you if he can construe that it was in the exchange of techniques and the intended target was the lower ab or back no call (9 out of 10 times).

Right-can't intentionally kick below the hogu. But you can kick to the back (except for the spinal column) and score-that's why the newer hogu is more of a "wrap-around" design.

As far as punching to the face, I guess I'll believe it when I see it. I think if you allow punching to the face, it will change the game and make it less distinct from other martial combat sports.

BTW, the new USAT competition rules are available online effective earlier this week.

Miles

Latest Discussions