WTF clubs that credits General Choi as founder and/or developer of TaeKwonDo

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have to say I don't really see that much of a problem with the Sine Wave, as long as it's not too high, (where you would be way too un-rooted at the transitional stage). I kinda liked the way it got you used to being ready to come up from a stance into a high kick easily (as in you were used to coming up from a lower stance).

What does confuse me is that when I first heard Sine Wave in TaijJiJuan classes or White Crane it of course meant a very different thing (from the heels to the spine out to the chest bow etc.).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changing the goal post. The kicks are not the same, although they may appear to be in the eyes of a layman.

Sweetie, you didn't read the post did you? or you didn't understand it. I didn't say the kicks were the same, though they aren't radically different just a little bit.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
the video of the Irish TSD guys seemed to have much less chambering of the sidekick than we practiced, was the 'try to bring your knee as close to the opposite shoulder during chamber as you can' thing something brought in under Choi?

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to say I don't really see that much of a problem with the Sine Wave, as long as it's not too high, (where you would be way too un-rooted at the transitional stage). I kinda liked the way it got you used to being ready to come up from a stance into a high kick easily (as in you were used to coming up from a lower stance).

What does confuse me is that when I first heard Sine Wave in TaijJiJuan classes or White Crane it of course meant a very different thing (from the heels to the spine out to the chest bow etc.).

Was your ITF off-shoot Sine Wave free?

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
as an aside and I don't want to stir anything here, but someone very high in the organisation I was in said they once asked the General to explain something to him (probably a bunkai/explanation of part of a form) and he refused

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
the video of the Irish TSD guys seemed to have much less chambering of the sidekick than we practiced, was the 'try to bring your knee as close to the opposite shoulder during chamber as you can' thing something brought in under Choi?

It's the exact same sidekick chamber as in the Chang Hon form. You can see it executed in slow motion in the pattern Won Hyo.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
It' the exact same sidekick chamber as in the Chang Hon form. You can see it executed in slow motion in the pattern Won Hyo.

oh ok we obviously exaggerated it or something though, it was a very powerful sidekick technique, but obv took a long time to be able to do it both correct AND fast (and I'm not saying I got anywhere near that level).

we would basically almost turn full back on, try to bring the right knee to the left shoulder, while still having the closed fist form of the knifehand guarding block above the knee, then as the kick went out, the guarding block was to go up and behind our heads in the block chamber position, locking out into (hopefully) a T like shape.

actually thinking about it, there is a similar thing in Longfist sidecut kick in that as you come up from the chamber already side on both hands 'open up' with the back hand going out at the same time in the opposite direction of the kick.

Last edited:
OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
oh ok we obviously exaggerated it or something though, it was a very powerful sidekick technique, but obv took a long time to be able to do it both correct AND fast (and I'm not saying I got anywhere near that level).

we would basically almost turn full back on, try to bring the right knee to the left shoulder, while still having the closed fist form of the knifehand guarding block above the knee, then as the kick went out, the guarding block was to go up and behind our heads in the block chamber position, locking out into (hopefully) a T like shape.

What TKD style did you train?

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
What TKD style did you train?

well it was definitely of ITF originally (TAGB) but I think Sabum Sparkes did change it a bit, our patterns were all the ITF ones as in the TAGB book etc. though

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Instructors can also be wrong you know.. I can refute my grandmaster right here and now with an alternative knife hand with the fingers held straight, from a promotional video produced by General Choi.. My instructor is apparently not aware of this, since he claims in every single class that knife hand is always with slighly bent fingers. WRONG

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like that SImon Scher guys videos of his kicks, and I think he is ITF and he does seem to chamber sidekicks similarly to how we did (or tried)

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
Instructors can also be wrong you know.. I can refute my grandmaster right here and now with an alternative knife hand with the fingers held straight, from a promotional video produced by General Choi.. My instructor is apparently not aware of this, since he claims in every single class that knife hand is always with slighly bent fingers. WRONG

slightly bent as in one bent back for Opun Sonkut Tulgi, or just all bent?

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
slightly bent as in one bent back for Opun Sonkut Tulgi, or just all bent?

All fingers bent, always he claims (knife hand strike) . That is one variation of a knife hand in Chang hon TaeKwondo, but not the only one . He also claims that L stance MUST have the rear foot pointing 25 degrees, when the encyklopedia clearly states Preferrably 25 degrees. And I have corrected him on this but he refuses to aknowledge it.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
That's interesting as tbh I was always almost 90 degrees with the rear foot, but at 25 degrees it becomes very similar to a Longfist stance

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not "wrong" - he teaches a different method. He wants people to learn that method, because that's what he can optimize for them.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
yes my TKD Master definitely 'considered' things for a long time before he implemented them I believe

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All fingers bent, always he claims (knife hand strike) . That is one variation of a knife hand in Chang hon TaeKwondo, but not the only one . He also claims that L stance MUST have the rear foot pointing 25 degrees, when the encyklopedia clearly states Preferrably 25 degrees. And I have corrected him on this but he refuses to aknowledge it.
You are correcting your instructor, based upon something in a book? Who is the instructor, again?