WT on steps?

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Anyone ever been in a scuffle on a set of stairs that you could not easily get off of and were forced to use wing tzun? what things would you to try to utilize, be it both things specific to wing tzun, and just the general scenario itself!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone ever been in a scuffle on a set of stairs that you could not easily get off of and were forced to use wing tzun? what things would you to try to utilize, be it both things specific to wing tzun, and just the general scenario itself!

I haven't , but it is a very good idea to conduct some of your training in different types of environments . When I taught at a branch sometimes we used to train out in the car park in the dark between parked cars , and when I taught in the city I used to take the class outside and train in a alleyway that had uneven ground , steps ,gutters etc.

If you are caught on a stairwell in a confined space you can still apply your Wing Chun , the techniques you use will depend on a few factors such as what is the difference in levels between you and the attacker. For example is he only one or two steps lower than you , can you still reach his head or chest with a hand strike.

Or is he several steps lower than you and out of range of your hands but well within range for a thrust kick to his face or chest . If it turns out that you are the one that is lower then it might be more practical for you to punch him in the groin or bladder and also be wary of any potential kicks launched at your head.

It might be different than fighting on nice flat ground but the principle of being direct and using the closest weapon to the closest target remains the same .

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

you can use the stairs to help you root your self.

dnovice

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I sparred on steps once. My partner insisted on trying different environments. Main thing is everything has to be compact especially your footwork. More pivoting. Be aware of u'r surroundings.

Latest Discussions