WSLVT

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, learnt something new there. It must be quite difficult to choose what technique as it were. With the knee, would that be statistics, or would you favour that move as something that works. Of course within the confines of the law. I mean it become like half a move? Or just something that if you followed through, would than likely be excessive force. Just curious, just how far could you go?

It doesn't actually take a lot of thought. I have little "boxes" in my head and based on what I encounter I open the appropriate box. If the person is only giving me Defensive resistance (basically just trying to pull away to prevent control) the joint lock/control box is the only one opened. If they are engaged in an assault to prevent control I can strike but need to limit targets (unless bigger, high etc) so the striking box gets opened. If they are trying to straight up whoop my butt, I open the box that includes all targets and my baton, I sometimes joke and call that "Kali time."

As for the knee, to avoid headaches and oops moments, I don't move to kick it unless I am justified in hyperextension/breaking the joint.

Last edited:
Reactions: KPM

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
On a side note, yesterday I found myself teaching coworkers the arm structure of a WC punch. I prefer palm strikes but the structure became relevant due to an incident the night before. An officer ended up going to the hospital after fighting with a subject. He had lacerations to his head due to the bad guy but he had injured his hand an wrist punching. He was doing western boxing style punches, some of which can cause injury if you aren't taped up because stuff doesn't naturally line up. The WC punch however lines everything up naturally though. It doesn't 100% prevent injury of course but it does reduce the possibility a fair degree.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Question, did wsl ever mention his thoughts on who taught ym this VT fighting method? Wouldn't the choices be either chan wah shun or this Leung bik person?

Both.

He came to VT and found YM because of stories of CWS and LJ.

He also said YM explained to him that the preference for gaang-sau or jam-sau in the SNT form differed between CWS and his second teacher LB, due to height difference.

WSL of course kept both in.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't actually take a lot of thought. I have little "boxes" in my head and based on what I encounter I open the appropriate box. If the person is only giving me Defensive resistance (basically just trying to pull away to prevent control) the joint lock/control box is the only one opened. If they are engaged in an assault to prevent control I can strike but need to limit targets (unless bigger, high etc) so the striking box gets opened. If they are trying to straight up whoop my butt, I open the box that includes all targets and my baton, I sometimes joke and call that "Kali time."

As for the knee, to avoid headaches and oops moments, I don't move to kick it unless I am justified in hyperextension/breaking the joint.

Very interesting. Thanks for the reply on that. The use of boxes makes a lot of sense, that way I imagine you find it easier to maintain control. Not that I emply anything of course, stick within the box seems to have a relative safety net attached.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorry to disappoint you, but no. No mileage from me today. I just think you should stop being so rude, and be constructive. It's not that hard a thing to do you know.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^ Haven't you heard? David Peterson doesn't do the "real" WSLVT.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
^^^ Haven't you heard? David Peterson doesn't do the "real" WSLVT.
As a community, we're better than this. If Guy B is an actual WSLVT practitioner, I doubt his sifu would approve of such a comment.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why all the judgment?

I guess you haven't read through the whole thread.

"Data" was requested, and therefore provided. See, for example, Post #30 and the end, Post #147.

As I said, it's difficult to avoid causing offense when detailing deficiencies in the learning of a well-known teacher.

However, the truth is the truth, and anyone who claims to be a fighter able to take a punch, should be able to handle non-sugarcoated discussion of the truth. We shouldn't avoid or cover the truth just to spare the feelings of some grown men.

To be honest, I once believed in what DP taught, mostly because he's an articulate speaker who can explain things in a convincing way. When I heard a different perspective, my first reaction was also defensiveness, to rationalize what I thought was decent WC in a world of non-so-decent WC. (I still think it's better than most.)

Once I laid down my bias and observed the evidence as it was shown to me, I had no choice but to accept it.

So, just because some people don't like straight talk, doesn't mean others won't appreciate it or learn from it. I was one of those who did, so I don't mind sharing the data when asked for it.

As a community, we're better than this. If Guy B is an actual WSLVT practitioner, I doubt his sifu would approve of such a comment.

Any sifu should respect their students' right to free speech, especially if it's only discussing objective data in the spirit of sharing for the purpose of learning and growth. I know I appreciated hearing it.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

On these threads it is common to find a picture, a video, or the name of someone teaching VT who appears to do it differently to the WSL VT that I have experienced. This is a common theme and has carried on over meany threads, not just this one. The intent is to show that WSL VT is not different to other wing chun and that it is not true to argue that it is. This is from people who have no experience of WSL VT.

I guess that if you don't think WSL VT is different then you would see no need to argue. I do think that it is different though, and so when something like this is brought up I do feel that I need to clarify what the difference is, and why it exists.

There is an element of trolling going on here: David Peterson is a favourite person for KPM and others to mention and I think that they derive a certain pleasure from seeing me or LFJ criticise other WSL VT. Gary Lam was another favourite but since Gary Lam is quite open in saying that he has added to the system it is easier to explain differences in his case.

Personally I started with a teacher in the UK who, like David Peterson, had quite a large following and was the face of the system in that country. He is mentioned on that list provided by Juany. It took me quite a few years of reading messages on boards like this, or exchanging emails with people doing WSL VT under other teachers to realise that what I was learning was not the same thing, and that a lot was missing or misinterpreted. Ironically a visit from DP to the UK was a bit of a watershed moment in the realisation of a lot of this teacher's students that something wasn't right, but I hadn't been with him long enough at that point to realise and stayed. Later I made the move to another teacher and since then can see huge differences in what is being taught, and the level of understanding of the system between different teachers.

I think that all teachers have something to offer and I am thankful to the one I started with for what he showed me, but he was not teaching WSL VT as I now know it to exist, and I feel slightly cheated that I was led to believe I was learning something that I really was not. I think for many of the teachers who learned a bit from the odd WSL seminar or short visit, it would be better if they just taught under their own names, rather than use the name of WSL under what they must know to be somewhat false pretences.

I don't think anything wrong in putting this kind of information out there as it is the way that I found my way to better WSL VT, even though it took me a lot of wasted time. If all WSL VT was the same then there would be no need to do this, but sadly it isn't.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So on this list we have two frequent posters who have attended PB seminars and watched videos as experts
on WSL's wing chun.. They have stated their belief in PBVT again and again and again.Hpw about moving on to other topics?
One hopes for some fresh air.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So on this list we have two frequent posters who have attended PB seminars and watched videos as experts
on WSL's wing chun.. They have stated their belief in PBVT again and again and again.Hpw about moving on to other topics?

We also have an infrequent poster who (when he does post) generally makes negative comments and contributes virtually nothing. When asked for clarification he generally stops replying.

If you want something to change then suggest you make yourself part of that change. You are only responsible for your own actions after all.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score

Who are you?

If you're not interested, you can stop clicking into these threads.

If you want other topics, you can start one.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We also have an infrequent poster who (when he does post) generally makes negative comments and contributes virtually nothing. When asked for clarification he generally stops replying.

If you want something to change then suggest you make yourself part of that change. You are only responsible for your own actions after all.

So does actually validate anything you say? I'll say good luck with the fanatical belief that VT is being the end game. That's what are saying right, that you part of some Wing Chun master race? Get over yourself man. Jeez louise!

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So does actually validate anything you say? I'll say good luck with the fanatical belief that VT is being the end game. That's what are saying right, that you part of some Wing Chun master race? Get over yourself man. Jeez louise!

?

Latest Discussions