WSLVT

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think you confuse fighting ability that is something can be taught. It is intrinsic IMHO. Hone skills through drills and training, but you are either a fighter or not. Do you truely appreciate what it is, to harm to another human being?
Do you really believe someone is born able to fight or not, and cannot change that?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I agree. And I'm not a fighter by temperament. Although there are a few times when I did want to harm people ...the moments quickly passed. Anyway I sense that you do have the "fighter" in you, which is one reason I value your posts.

Not so sure about some of the other know-it-all keyboard warriors posting here. ;)
I think there are some people who would have a VERY hard time developing their fight-ability, and others for whom fighting comes easily. However, I think nearly anyone CAN fight, under the right circumstances, and some of the mental obstacles can be overcome through progressive work (same as dealing with phobias).

Reactions: KPM
OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think there are some people who would have a VERY hard time developing their fight-ability, and others for whom fighting comes easily. However, I think nearly anyone CAN fight, under the right circumstances, and some of the mental obstacles can be overcome through progressive work (same as dealing with phobias).

I remember years ago Paul Vunak had a program out on "how to develop killer instinct."

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It is a criticism of the opinion that PB is good:

"you act like PB has the best fighting system but all the videos of him are chi sao which is nothing like fighting"

He's saying that we shouldn't be of the opinion that PB is good until we have videos of PB fighting which show that he is good at fighting. Videos of chi sau don't cut it.

Well I would agree, but there are obviously other ways to find out about PB if anyone is interested in doing so

I would meet PB if he was in the area. I honestly think if i gloved up and sparred him and was not giving him feeder punches he would not look that impressive.

Reactions: KPM

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I suggest if interested that you make contact.

BlueBoy11

White Belt
Reaction score
That's reasonable. What of the time DP spent traveling with WSL, translating and spending time with him. Do you suppose that time included discussion and perhaps training? I would imagine if I were traveling with an instructor, we'd spend a good bit of time talking about our practices, philosophies, and the way we express the principles in the art.
hi guy from melbourne Australia i am loving this thread i am not the only one who questions mr peterson firstly mr peternon At no time lived in hong kong for any length of time he was a school teacher and had to be back at the start of term he went three weeks only when i vistedf his school he was aways back late jan thats fact llook at the way he teaches footwork compaired to the great barry lee huge difference the same with the great philip bayer its good to see some in our clan waking up cheers

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hi guy from melbourne Australia i am loving this thread i am not the only one who questions mr peterson firstly mr peternon At no time lived in hong kong for any length of time he was a school teacher and had to be back at the start of term he went three weeks only when i vistedf his school he was aways back late jan thats fact llook at the way he teaches footwork compaired to the great barry lee huge difference the same with the great philip bayer its good to see some in our clan waking up cheers
That doesn't seem relevant to the question I asked in the post you replied to. I was curious about the time he spent traveling with WSL, translating for him - not the time he visited/lived in Hong Kong.

(PS - Please add some punctuation, as it makes your posts much easier to read.)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...(PS - Please add some punctuation, as it makes your posts much easier to read.)

I did not know that Sifu Peterson was a school teacher. Cool. BTW, perhaps BlueBoy would have benefitted if he had a little more respect for that profession! :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you really believe someone is born able to fight or not, and cannot change that?

Thinking about this yes I do. Some people IMHO have the born skills with which to fight. Only have to hone technique. Others have to learn technique to fight. Those that are born with the ability to fight, have it easier, over those that have to make do with a blank canvas if you will. I do believe that genetics have a big sway over those who know how to punch out of the womb, over those who have to learn how to punch. Yes I had to learn how to effectively kick, in my limited capacity, but never had to learn how to punch.

Just semantics of course, but I never had to learn how to fight, I just did it. I put that down to my Aberdonian hard as nails Grandad who was a RSM, and fought as a youngster in WW1. Maybe sheer folly, and have no real world substance, but having predominantly English genes, with a smattering of Irish and Scottish blood, that is how I see it. Of course though, I ain't quite right in the head, but my Grandad Mac is a hero to me, so I effectiontly blame him

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah! That's different than the way I read your original post. You're not saying it's not changeable - just that some people are naturally predisposed to be able to fight. I agree with that, entirely. I'm not sure if I was in that group or not. I wouldn't have thought of myself as a natural fighter, but I was never one to back down, so maybe that's just the story I had in my head.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah! That's different than the way I read your original post. You're not saying it's not changeable - just that some people are naturally predisposed to be able to fight. I agree with that, entirely. I'm not sure if I was in that group or not. I wouldn't have thought of myself as a natural fighter, but I was never one to back down, so maybe that's just the story I had in my head.

Difficult to define I guess. I was able to always counter a threat, probably rather on the dirty side, but still still.

Latest Discussions