WSL wing chun

OP
kakkattekoi

kakkattekoi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Question for the WSL'ers out there...
Of all the people WSL taught, who among them (in your opinion) were taught the complete WSL curriculum and are representing the WSL method to the best of their ability?
And are any of them teaching in the US?

*I'm asking this because from reading posts/threads/responses over the years, it seems some WSL folks have opinions on instructors / Sifu's inside their own lineage as having been taught via seminars or only via occasional contact with WSL...

Thanks.

so does WSL complete curriculum includes long bridge?

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
so does WSL complete curriculum includes long bridge?

No idea man.

I asked this question because it appears that Phillip Bayer trained a lot with WSL, Gary Lam, etc but was wondering who else. I don't know about the long bridge in WSL...

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of all the people WSL taught, who among them (in your opinion) were taught the complete WSL curriculum and are representing the WSL method to the best of their ability?
And are any of them teaching in the US?

I'll just say this; I've experienced American, Hong Kong, and European flavors of WSLVT, and in my opinion, nowhere in the world is WSLVT more deeply rooted, complete, and at a higher level than in Europe, particularly in Germany where WSL spent a lot of time and was in fact preparing to move prior to his untimely death.

Other Germans besides PB trained with WSL in HK in the 80's and brought him to Germany. All of these guys share the same "thinking" and have clearly received the full system. PB has of course done an amazing job spreading the system around Europe. That's practically all he does, fly around Europe and teach. It is also remarkable that all of his students who have schools in his association throughout Europe are highly skilled and, while they each have their own unique set of strengths and weaknesses, there is really no deviation among them with regards to their "thinking". That's a result of understanding the complete system and having no need for the gap-filling we see elsewhere.

There are some guys on the East and West Coast of the U.S., but I think GL is the only direct student of WSL there. However, he's developed his own curriculum and style, and his Wing Chun functions differently. I suspect he did that to fit the martial arts market in the States, but I would not call what he does WSLVT anymore.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'll just say this; I've experienced American, Hong Kong, and European flavors of WSLVT, and in my opinion, nowhere in the world is WSLVT more deeply rooted, complete, and at a higher level than in Europe, particularly in Germany where WSL spent a lot of time and was in fact preparing to move prior to his untimely death.

Other Germans besides PB trained with WSL in HK in the 80's and brought him to Germany. All of these guys share the same "thinking" and have clearly received the full system. PB has of course done an amazing job spreading the system around Europe. That's practically all he does, fly around Europe and teach. It is also remarkable that all of his students who have schools in his association throughout Europe are highly skilled and, while they each have their own unique set of strengths and weaknesses, there is really no deviation among them with regards to their "thinking". That's a result of understanding the complete system and having no need for the gap-filling we see elsewhere.

There are some guys on the East and West Coast of the U.S., but I think GL is the only direct student of WSL there. However, he's developed his own curriculum and style, and his Wing Chun functions differently. I suspect he did that to fit the martial arts market in the States, but I would not call what he does WSLVT anymore.

Thanks LFJ. Do you know who it is on the east coast?

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I would agree in general, although there are some European teachers without that deep understanding of the system, especially in UK. PB is definitely about the best VT in the world and many of his students are also great which is a good indication that they are doing something right. His style as he gets older has changed a bit though which is worth bearing in mind.

In terms of America I would agree that GL is not teaching basic WSL VT and has changed quite a lot for his own purposes. Interestingly some students of GL appear to be taking more of a back to basics approach and emphasising the WSL method. Some clips I have seen of Dwight Hennings and James Roller look less GL and more WSL, although I don't know either of them. I think both are in Canada. Don't really know about US. There is Ernie Barrios I guess who also appears to have moved a bit from the GL teachings in WSL direction? He is doing quite a lot of his own thing as well though I think, and has in turn influenced some of the PB derived VT in Europe and also some people with half learned VT in other places, e.g. UK.

In world terms there is David Peterson in Australia and also Barry Lee derived stuff there. DP is good with written descriptions and a valuable historian of the system. I don't know anything about BL VT or even if he is still active. Someone who learned from him has posted up a huge amount of stuff on youtube which I am not that keen on, but can't judge without seeing BL himself.

Then there is HK which can be variable. Easy to get fooled and waste time there if you don't understand the culture. Again people like WKL have changed the system quite a bit compared to what WSL originally taught, while others teach a more straight forward version, e.g. NCH. Some are more accessible than others, e.g. Cliff Au Yeung, some less. I agree with LFJ that things are more straight forward with PB derived VT in Europe.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would agree in general, although there are some European teachers without that deep understanding of the system, especially in UK. PB is definitely about the best VT in the world and many of his students are also great which is a good indication that they are doing something right. His style as he gets older has changed a bit though which is worth bearing in mind.

In terms of America I would agree that GL is not teaching basic WSL VT and has changed quite a lot for his own purposes. Interestingly some students of GL appear to be taking more of a back to basics approach and emphasising the WSL method. Some clips I have seen of Dwight Hennings and James Roller look less GL and more WSL, although I don't know either of them. I think both are in Canada. Don't really know about US. There is Ernie Barrios I guess who also appears to have moved a bit from the GL teachings in WSL direction? He is doing quite a lot of his own thing as well though I think, and has in turn influenced some of the PB derived VT in Europe and also some people with half learned VT in other places, e.g. UK.

In world terms there is David Peterson in Australia and also Barry Lee derived stuff there. DP is good with written descriptions and a valuable historian of the system. I don't know anything about BL VT or even if he is still active. Someone who learned from him has posted up a huge amount of stuff on youtube which I am not that keen on, but can't judge without seeing BL himself.

Then there is HK which can be variable. Easy to get fooled and waste time there if you don't understand the culture. Again people like WKL have changed the system quite a bit compared to what WSL originally taught, while others teach a more straight forward version, e.g. NCH. Some are more accessible than others, e.g. Cliff Au Yeung, some less. I agree with LFJ that things are more straight forward with PB derived VT in Europe.

Thanks Guy

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yup. Follows him all over Europe and has him over to the States too.

OP
kakkattekoi

kakkattekoi

Orange Belt
Reaction score

I like how you describe HK which is sad but true ..... IMO its ironic that this asian culture is more rooted or completed in Europe as LFG experienced.

Latest Discussions