written dan test

P

progressivetactics

Do any of you have written dan tests for your students?

This is a largely popular method in current schools, but is really only an Occidental tradition, I am told. Why have we incorporated this, when we try to hold on to tradition so tight for everything else?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our school has a Verbal Q&A that goes along with each rank including BB, but to my knowlage, there is no written test...

OP
G

Galvatron

I had to write a thesis as part of the requirement for 1st Dan.

OP
M

Mr.karate

In my style we have different topics given to us we have to write an essay on for each Dan grade.

OP
P

progressivetactics

Wow.....i'm suprised you have never heard of written tests for gup/kyu or dan levels. I thought it was pretty common. We have oral Q&A at all tests, and written Dan level.
When Approached about transfering time equivalency to Collegete title, I was told I would have to write a thesis, or a Dissertation. That to me seemed harder then all the years spent training, so I never pursued it. Who knew that those titles would have helped in the employement world......They don't care what your degree is in...as long as you have one.

I have had to write book reports, do written tests, Q&A in all my styles and Dan tests.

OP
T

twinkletoes

I had to write a thesis before black belt in Kenpo.

I have had to take written tests for all ranks in Budoshin Ju-jitsu.

I also had nightmares before my kenpo test that I would show up and they would say "before we get started, can you complete this for us? The first section is short answer, and the last 5 pages are essay."

~TT

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
before getting black belt first you have to write a letter tell them why u think ur ready to test then u have to tell them the history of the art and sometimes they make u answer things and have to write 500 words on what focus means and how it is used in the martial arts

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
At my school, you have to do a written portion for the Il Dan test. We're basically asked to write our names, Tae Kwon Do and Ji Do Kwon in Korean. We also have to write the names of our parents (trick is to put a Mr. and Mrs. name in front of them to show proper respect), the student creed, the student oath, and the Hwa Rang Do Kae. We also have to submit to a Q&A portion, where we are quizzed on the symbolism of the Korean flag and Ji Do Kwon, and also the history of Tae Kwon Do. Then family members and fellow student get asked about how well we show respect to others, and if you're a kid, they ask your parents how your grades are, and if you do stuff to help around the house. After we do that portion, the REAL fun begins. :D

OP
P

progressivetactics

that is kind of a neat approach. Both the writing in Korean, and the check up with family idea. Neat.

OP
K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by progressivetactics
Do any of you have written dan tests for your students?
All Shorinji Kempo gradings include both a written and an oral component. For my last grading, I had to write two essays in advance, and other two on the day, plus fill on the blanks on a kyusho chart.
All of which comes before the actual physical grading.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, it is good to see what the student has learned other than technique. Here there are a few written components. There is a book report, and essay on history and a focus on their particular dojo also a student review.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
we require students going for blackbelt to do a research paper since i want them to further study their art and come up with their own conclusions. we also may ask questions during their testing.

OP
K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by stickarts
we require students going for blackbelt to do a research paper since i want them to further study their art and come up with their own conclusions. we also may ask questions during their testing.
But it's not mandatory?

OP
I

IsshinryuKarateGirl

In my dojo, I don't think we have to do much written work, mostly oral. We have to rectie the Isshinryu code about a million times, the same with the dojo rules and the termonology. But as essays go, I don't think we have any.

OP
K

Kimpatsu

Originally posted by IsshinryuKarateGirl
In my dojo, I don't think we have to do much written work, mostly oral. We have to rectie the Isshinryu code about a million times, the same with the dojo rules and the termonology. But as essays go, I don't think we have any.
I've got a great story about oral testing.
The Shorinji Kempo creed is broken into three parts, Seiku, Seigan, and Shinjo.
In London once, Mizuno Sensei turned to a very nervous first-timer and said laconically, "Seiku." The student replied, "Ku." So Mizuno Sensei tried again: "No, Seiku."
Once again, the student replied, "Ku."
It took a third party to explain that Mizuno Sensei was not ordering, "Say, 'ku'."
:lol:

OP
S

Shinzu

we do written tests. it does not count as much as the physical, but at least it lets you know if you can understand in on paper.

Latest Discussions