Wrists seem to get beaten up in Ninjustu

amishman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I visited a Bujinkan Dogo for the 1st time last week to just watch the class in action before my 1st training this coming Friday. While I watched, it sure seems wrists get twisted and abused a bit in Ninjutsu. Many moves seem to be the receiving end getting twisted around with the wrists in awkward angles which I guess is a great way to stop an attacker.

Anyway, from someone just about to start, how has your wrists fared over the years being twisted around all the time. Do you come out of training feeling like your hand is going to fall off.

One of the things I know I need to do is strengthen my wrists as sometimes just leaning on them heavily I can feel a sharp pain. This makes me think that when I get into classes, my wrists are gonna really feel it.

Anyway, just curious of anyone here has gotten wrist injuries from all this twisting around?

tj

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Many moves seem to be the receiving end getting twisted around with the wrists in awkward angles which I guess is a great way to stop an attacker.

When you get to the position where you can apply them, yes. That's easier said than done.

Anyway, from someone just about to start, how has your wrists fared over the years being twisted around all the time. Do you come out of training feeling like your hand is going to fall off.

Sensitivity to all locks and cranks decreases over time.

nathan3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Anyway, just curious of anyone here has gotten wrist injuries from all this twisting around?

I have. My right wrist has been pretty much totally decimated. I strongly advise you to take every single opportunity you can, and strengthen your wrists. I'm now doing what I can to strengthen my left wrist, but my right is a lost cause, I think. Constant pain, it cannot support weight anymore, and my grip strength is gone. Both of the doctors I've visited with this have said that there's nothing medical science can do to rebuild it, but that the wrist will probably improve on its own over the next couple of years.

I don't say these things to scare you. Even after suffering an injury to the wrist that earns the household income, I still attend (and even participate in) class. But if you learn anything from my story, let it be that you should always be aware of your wrists. Focus constantly on protecting them, and never get lazy when a wrist is involved. (Let's face it, we're all subject to “dojo syndrome” occasionally.) And take every opportunity to strengthen your wrists now.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have had some minor wrist injuries through the years but no more so than I have suffered in many other arts. The above advice on strengthening your wrist is good. Also make sure that you stretch them religiously.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi

Brian is right, you need to work regularly to maintain both strength and flexibility in your wrists.

Stretching the wrists in all of the directions they get turned in during wrist locks should be a part of every one of your warmups.

One easy exercise that will help strentgthen the wrists is to sit in a chair with a barbell in your hands, palms down, just beyond your knees. Rest your forearms on your thighs. Curl your wrists upward, so that the backs of your hands move up toward your face. You can put light weight on the bar if you like.

This is also a great exercise to help you get rid of tennis elbow if you ever get it.

Another important thing is to work with training partners who know how to use control when they're applying wrist locks. It's easy for people to take the locks too far, too fast, especially less experienced students. This is where having a good teacher will help you.

Good luck... and as somebody said above, the discomfort will diminish over time.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Stetch and relax, there are alot of Junan Taiso that will help that. We used to do about 6-8 exercises just for the wrist flexability

Haiookami

White Belt
Reaction score
In Total aggreance making the choice to study Ninjustu is a hardy one, thats the point, this is the only art that you get hurt by moving slow, meaning as an uke you do get bruised. Dont rely on your training sessions alone to condition your body. Breathe relaxe recieve and enjoy the bruises

Haiookami

White Belt
Reaction score
Choosing Ninjustu as a life path is a hardy one, its tough on uke's because of the various terrains and applications of ideas, dont rely on your training sessions alone for any conditioning in Ninjustu, always play, if you are hurt tell someone, there will be no shame, that is where the compassion starts. If your not sure what to do ask, or stop by a play ground, go climb a tree explore, break your established boundries and PLAY we train today to survive tomorow WE HAVE BEEN WHERE YOU ARE thats why we often give a smile when we see another person go through a painful moment cause we remember how it felt

antihero.zero

White Belt
Reaction score
After several years at wrist locks I developed pretty severe carpel tunnel at a young age, but I think it might be genetic in my case. I had surgery to correct this and now I'm a bit more careful about what I do with them.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
IMO, anyone in the art for long has this problem. In my case, after 5yrs in jiu jitsu I developed carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists. I was fortunate to see a world class surgeon and had both hands operated on. In the decades since, I've not had any further problems and my practice was never hindered once healing had taken place.

Obi Wan Shinobi

Green Belt
Reaction score
IMO, anyone in the art for long has this problem. In my case, after 5yrs in jiu jitsu I developed carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists. I was fortunate to see a world class surgeon and had both hands operated on. In the decades since, I've not had any further problems and my practice was never hindered once healing had taken place.

The most I've ever experienced was a badly sprained wrists here and there. But I agree with the posts that wrists need to be condition while training in Budo Taijutsu.

Latest Discussions