Would you train under a fat and out of shape JKD guy

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
Knowledge and teaching ability would be the most important to me. But I suppose the first questions that would cross my mind would be: can he prove his lineage, and does he know how to throw his weight into his punch? :)

monk64

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Might make a difference if you're talking about a "Once Fit & now older & overweight" ... or "Never Fit."

Anyone remember TV's Kunf-Fu Series? ... Master Po was a bit Fat, Old, and BLIND! Yet none of that negated the wisdom he had to share..

Ha! That's a funny observation, though of course it's fiction. But your first comment is spot on.

Can a 50% body fat, out-of-shape guy really do JKD well? I doubt it. I think being obese prevents you from really being a good martial artist. I suppose sumo wrestling is the counter-example but for most MA, you need a reasonable level of fitness.

I can think of a number of great masters who are alive and in their 70s or 80s. One I know just had a hip replacement. I don't think he can do all of the moves in his art any more - but he still has the eye, wisdom, and experience to teach. And of course, at one time he certainly could, which is the real key.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's not JKD, but have you seen Jeff Speakman lately? Far from his "Perfect Weapon" physique, much closer to the 'old fat guy' build today, would you refuse to train with him? If I lived in Las Vegas I'd have no problem learning from him.

OP
James Kovacich

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im thinking you mistook someone else for Jeff. He trains hard and his weight gain is normal which comes with age.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's not JKD, but have you seen Jeff Speakman lately? Far from his "Perfect Weapon" physique, much closer to the 'old fat guy' build today, would you refuse to train with him? If I lived in Las Vegas I'd have no problem learning from him.
While I like the sentiment, I've seen pictures of him and while he's not in the same shape he was (who is?) he doesn't look particularly old or fat, especially considering that he's 54. Recent pictures I've seen of him indicate that he is no fatter than Liam Neeson was at the same age. I haven't seen any shirtless shots, so couldn't tell you if he's maintained a fairly ripped physique, but he certainly didn't look fat or out of shape to me.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Maybe he's lost weight in the last few years, but the videos I saw of him from around 2005-2007 did not show him in great shape, even for being close to 50 - neither am I, I certainly can't say "look at me, everyone should be in this shape" (which is more round than ripped these days).

Last edited by a moderator:

StreetReady

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think it all really depends. Isn't JKD just a concept and not an actual style? If he's teaching concepts, go for it. He might be fat, but maybe he knows fighting techniques that work for a fat guy and can execute like a pro.

Then again, I'm not a JKD expert, so please excuse me if I'm wrong.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe he's lost weight in the last few years, but the videos I saw of him from around 2005-2007 did not show him in great shape, even for being close to 50 - neither am I, I certainly can't say "look at me, everyone should be in this shape" (which is more round than ripped these days).

He definitely looks a bit more portly than pictures that I have seen, but given his age and credentials, it wouldn't put me off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions