Would you label this a spinning back kick or side kick or hybrid?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Acceleration is what creates power and there is fantastic acceleration on my leg.
no it isnt, velocity creates kinetic energy

power is work done, divided by time, so that doesnt include acceleration either

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

A kick or punch travelling at a high but consistent speed rate will be less powerful than a slower kick or punch that accelerated substantially but had slower overall speed

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A kick or punch travelling at a high but consistent speed rate will be less powerful than a slower kick or punch that accelerated substantially but had slower overall speed
you can say that, but its not what science says

they didnt just make these formulars up you know, they checked them and then used them to build the whole world

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wrong. Force = Mass x Velocity. If your hand/foot is still accelerating at the point of impact, it will not have reached it's maximum force yet.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wrong. Force = Mass x Velocity. If your hand/foot is still accelerating at the point of impact, it will not have reached it's maximum force yet.

I never said it would accelerate at the point of impact

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is all academic anyway because for all intents and purposes, all objects that exhibit speed also exhibit acceleration. You can't have one without the other.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is all academic anyway because for all intents and purposes, all objects that exhibit speed also exhibit acceleration. You can't have one without the other.
what about the earth, that has speed with out acceleration

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
because longer acceleration time aveaged of a set distance,does not necessary mean a greater speed, between point a and point b,

it can, but it may not, its just wrong to assume it does, unless you can demonstaite its so

in the context of HIS kick o doubt it does, in fact i doubt that he was accelerating for cthe duration of the turn, and as its his kick i was discussing, not back kicks in general, thats a valid point, i feel
If you have greater average acceleration and a longer time to accelerate, I can't think of a situation where that wouldn't result in higher velocity (speed).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The scientific term power isn't the same definition as is commonly used when discussing a punch's power.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That statement doesn't make sense to me. The velocity (both the magnitude and direction) at the moment of contact are what's important in the transfer of momentum and force of impact. How fast it was going a moment beforehand is immaterial. If you can get the same speed in two punches at the moment of impact, backed by the same amount of mass, it's unlikely to matter whether one accelerated gradually over the entire punch and the other put most of the acceleration at the end.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily at the time of impact. The acceleration could come much earlier, leaving the object at a nominally constant speed.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you have greater average acceleration and a longer time to accelerate, I can't think of a situation where that wouldn't result in higher velocity (speed).
lets simply the numbers by way of explination

in doing a kick, the distance your foot travels is three feett up and three feet out, in say half a second, in doing a spining kick, the distance your foot travels is 6foot round, 3 foot up and three feett out, in say a second, so thats twice the distance in twice the time, so thats exactly the same speed, the extra acceleration time has given you no increase in speed, so no increase in kenetic energy, but it has taken twice as long leaving you more vulrable to a coubter attack

it may have given you more momentum, but its acceleration we are discusing

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

in doing a kick, the distance your foot travels is three feett up and three feet out, in say half a second, in doing a spining kick, the distance your foot travels is 6foot round, 3 foot up and three feett out, in say a second, so thats twice the distance in twice the time, so thats exactly the same speed, the extra acceleration time has given you no increase in speed, so no increase in kenetic energy, but it has taken twice as long leaving you more vulrable to a coubter attack

You're talking about available time for acceleration, not more time under acceleration. Under that circumstance, you are correct.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're talking about available time for acceleration, not more time under acceleration. Under that circumstance, you are correct.
there the same, if he accelerates, through the available time, thats more time under acxeleration, it still isnt any faster coz not only has the time ibcreased so has the distance it has to travel

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

But I told you that it does accelerate more from the push off and using my back to donkey kick it out

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
He did not state ITF specifically and if he were to be completely open, he would say the ITF Taekwondo encyclopedia
Well, maybe it's just me, but since it is an ITF GM doing the talking, and it says ITF on his leg, chest and belt along with the ITF crest on the belt, and since the tape specifies TK-D, and all his tapes use the technical specifications from the encyclopedia, I don't see the need for him to say "the ITF Taekwondo encyclopedia[/" (But of course GM Nardizzi would specify "Taekwon-Do". )

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again, Jamseau does not accept the ITF as authority being that he is KKW affiliated so why write that?
Not really relevant what he accepts as "Authority" only that he accept in the context specified who the authority is just as I would accept KKW authority in KKW context.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not really relevant what he accepts as "Authority" only that he accept in the context specified who the authority is just as I would accept KKW authority in KKW context.

Well the hole point he made was that it's irrelevant what the specifications are since the context is not relevant for those in the KKW, and people who are learning Taekwondo and open this video will not know that the encyclopedia is ITF specific only, so the GM should make that clear by adding "ITF encyclopedia" . Otherwise he is purposely misleading the viewer to think that the encyclopedia parameters are universal to all of TKD.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well the hole point he made was that it's irrelevant what the specifications are since the context is not relevant for those in the KKW, and people who are learning Taekwondo and open this video will not know that the encyclopedia is ITF specific only, so the GM should make that clear by adding "ITF encyclopedia" . Otherwise he is purposely misleading the viewer to think that the encyclopedia parameters are universal to all of TKD.
This is his disclaimer in his little blurb underneath the video "I recognise Grand Master General Choi Hong Hi as the true authority on Taekwon-Do. The information in my tutorial is based on my interpretation of Taekwon-Do as taught to me by the Founder General Choi Hong Hi and as referred to in his book ‘TAEKWON-DO’ (5th Edition 1999) Published by ITF and printed in Canada. Other Taekwon-Do Masters and Grand Masters may have a different interpretation of Taekwon-Do theory and practice, so if you are a Taekwon-Do student, it is important to check with your instructor if you are not sure about which interpretation you should be following."

It says right in there that it's ITF specific. He could I guess say it in the front of his video, but I can see how that would get annoying for him when he's made at least 47 other videos.

Latest Discussions