Would You Folks Be Receptive To This Idea?

chungdokwan123

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I recently expressed my interest, in another post, in the MRSA (Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus) phenomenon. I'm sure most folks have heard things about it......some of it likely over-dramatized by the media.......perhaps some have had personal encounters with it.

What I'm tempted to do is to share some information with you guys, including a graphic pic or two of my hand, simply because I would like for my experience with it to have some meaning........to possibly allow my unfortunate brush with this terrible stuff to help someone else.......to prevent unnecessary suffering and the possible health complications such an infection can be responsible for.

.......and to even prevent the deaths associated with it, insofar as this would even be possible.

The reason I ask for opinions on how this would be received beforehand is that, if it might be thought that I would be fishing for sympathy or if it might be perceived that I'm on some knee-jerk campaign......then I wouldn't bother. I just somehow feel motivated to try to make something good out of my experience.........and you folks seem a top-notch group that just might benefit from it.......due to the nature of the close-quarter training we do.

I'm just here to help.......and I'm not from the government.

Maybe the Holiday Season is just making me try to be nice......for a change.

Thoughts?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know that many pro football players deal with this also. I know that Greg Loydd, former Pittsburgh Steeler almost died from this and it cut his career short.

If you deal with cuts and scrapes on a mat that is not cleaned daily then you run a big risk.

Share what you will. It can only help others.

FLTKD

White Belt
Reaction score
Make sure you post the pictures after dinner time! Please.......

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it would be well recieved for a couple of reasons.

From a martial artists standpoint, I think being able to recognize infections like this is important. Ignoring it and hoping/thinking it will just go away, only leads to more infection in a case of MRSA.

From a school owners standpoint, I think it hits home the importance of routine equipment cleaning, ESPECIALLY mats. I teach Moo Duk Kwan TKD, so we do not do much ground fighting. However, we still have mats for take-downs and learning falls and tumbling. If these are not cleaned regularly, they can be a breeding ground for MRSA and other bacteria and fungi.

I say share the pics!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're concerned about any pictures or other material offending sensibilities or being too graphic, you can post them with a warning label, something like "Graphic material" or "NSFW -Not safe for work" as appropriate. It's best to place it in the title and the post both.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, you can always link the picture with the according warning. Not to mention, not everybody's gross is the same thing.

yet, what are we talking about, nasty infection not responding to antibiotics?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is some thing to be very concerned about as I know a farmer around here who contracted it and his hand is no longer fully function-able.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The seriousness of the danger posed by MRSI's is underrated, I think, and should you share your personal experience (including photographs), it may influence others to take this danger as seriously as it truly needs to be.

While I don't want to pressure you, I think it would be an educational opportunity for everyone else. And if anyone gives you crap for it, I know the mods will handle the situation with aplomb.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i have even heard of bacteria that are so intense that the literaly eat the person alive. People wake up screaming with hands bleeding like stigmata wounds and it's the bacteria devouring them-don't get much nastier than that. I have heard of several incidents that have had something to do with sports locker rooms and exhausted athletes that ended up dead.
I guess one should try to keep hygenic and monitor wounds and scrapes for infections. If there are wounds in the nose, one can get a spray that can disinfect, or simply snort some lemon juice.

j

Latest Discussions