Would you fight a teammate in the finals?

kiai

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've fought a teammate in the final before (the sensei's kid, actually!) and won :)

The way I see it, it is an honour to go head to head with a teammate in the finals.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Certainly my line of thinking. But I don't attach much ego to my fighting either.

Ego shuldn't be there when fighting anyone though should it. I don't think it's a matter of ego, I'd feel cheated if I won through someone deciding to pull out so I could 'win', it would leave me with that 'what if' feeling, I prefer a 50/50 (or less if it's me lol) chance of winning fairly to 100% chance of winning through opponent pulling out for non med reasons.

bjjcompete

White Belt
Reaction score
Personally I would prefer to compete instead of flip a coin. Seems disappointing if you don't finish.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have fought friends and classmates in tournaments, both local and on the national level. Some of my most memorable matches are with friends and classmates. It did nothing but bring us closer together as a group and foster greater respect for one another.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Would you fight a teammate in the finals"?
No, this person would be of no consequence to me until after the match. It may sound harsh but that is the way it is in our dojo sparring. Any sparring, is, training in the way I conduct myself in a real confrontation, and I should approach each with no mind clutter.........

At the end of the match there will be time to celebrate, just not before and during................

mmartist

Green Belt
Reaction score
There was a situation in one tournament that two of my teammates had to fight each other. It wasn't really a fight, it was more like a training..But basically it all depends on what your coach says..