Would you explain me?

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would you explain me the diferences beetwen Japanese Karate and Okinawan Karate? Where was thre birth place of karate?

Manny

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Would you explain me the diferences beetwen Japanese Karate and Okinawan Karate? Where was thre birth place of karate?

Manny

I am not an expert, but as I understand it, karate began on Okinawa, as an amalgamation between native Okinawan self-defense techniques and those adopted by Okinawans from various Chinese self-defense techniques. The term itself, 'karate' was originally translated as 'China Hand' and was later changed to mean 'Empty Hand'.

Gichin Funikoshi, the originator of Shotokan, brought karate to the Japanese mainland and made some changes to the karate he had learned on Okinawa in order to make it more acceptable to the Japanese.

Since that time, there have been crossovers in style - Japanese karate techniques moving into Okinawan styles and vice-versa.

But karate itself, as karate, comes from Okinawa.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep, agreed with Bill there. From memory, the name change was in the early 1900's (the 20's or 30's, I think....).

In terms of the actual differences between them, well, there are always differences between systems, but in very broad strokes, Okinawan systems tend more towards classic straight-line actions, strong stances, straight kicks, a larger focus on kobudo (old-style weaponry... and for the record, I'm talking about things such as Tekko, Tinbe, Nunti etc, as well as the more well-known Nunchaku, Tonfa, Sai etc), sometimes as a completely different system, and a larger focus on traditional conditioning, such as Hojo Undo.

Japanese systems have dominantly taken sporting aspects on as well as the more "traditional" aspects of kata training and others. There are more kicks, and the kicks are a greater range, including different angles (the somewhat classic Mawashi Geri, or Roundhouse Kick, is not an "original" Karate action. It was introduced by Funokoshi Yoshitake, Funakoshi Gichin's son) such as hooking and spinning kicks. Some systems have taken sporting aspects as a dominant aspect of their training, such as Tani-ha Shito Ryu Shukokai Karate, developed pretty much specifically to win tournaments, or Kyokushinkai Karate, whose methods of conditioning training include full contact competition and sparring. Very tough guys.

Bear in mind that these are, really, still generalisations. Wado Ryu, for instance, is a modern Japanese Karate system, but is less concerned with competition, and has more of a "traditional" feel to it. It was developed from Shindo Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu, and is sometimes considered a branch of that Jujutsu Ryu.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok and thank you, it seems to me then, okinawa is the birth place of Kara Te and was brought to Japan by G.Funakoshi.

Okinawan Kara Te is a straight line action with strong stances and Kobudo.

G.Funakoshi made okinawan karate a little fancier with some more kicks, no kobudo not so linear and made it sporty.

I think in order to spread Kara Te to the masses Funakoshi had to adopt in some way the G. Kano methodology making the karate not so hard and sportier, as long as I know Funakoshi taught in Universities and Schools and made karate a part of education program, in Okinawa the Karate was taught to few people and was something more a family tradition.

WTF Tae Kwon Do is in some way like the Shotokan Karate, is available to the mases and is sports oriented too.

A karateka friend of mine told me yestarday Shotokan it's no karate at all, because it's too sporty and does not teach weapons.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok and thank you, it seems to me then, okinawa is the birth place of Kara Te and was brought to Japan by G.Funakoshi.

Okinawan Kara Te is a straight line action with strong stances and Kobudo.

G.Funakoshi made okinawan karate a little fancier with some more kicks, no kobudo not so linear and made it sporty.

Some Okinawan karate is linear (perhaps some branches of Shorin-ryu if we want to generalize), but not all. Go look at kata and two man drills from Goju-ryu and Uechi-ryu... They are anything but linear.

A karateka friend of mine told me yestarday Shotokan it's no karate at all, because it's too sporty and does not teach weapons.

I think he is displaying some style snobbery. Not all Shotokan is the same.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dancing alone and all the guys, my understanding of karate and the diferent ryus or styles is moderate, so I can't talk of this topic but I like to learn. I can't say Shotokan is not karate like my friend said, he has practiced karate for varius years and his opinion is that "his opinion".

One of my partners in TKD is a second degree black belt in Karate Shotokan, his moves and techs are very good and he swears Shotokan is the best Karate, but again that's his opinion.

I can't say Shotokan is not Karate or Goju is better than Uechy or the best is Kyokushin because I don't know them very well to say an opinion.

My friends cousing aproached me and asked me, from that point derived this post.

Forgive me if I bother some karatekas here, it was not my intention.

One thing I want to ad is I would like to learn some Karate too, to gaing knowledge in other MA and because I really love Martial Arts.

Thank you very much again for inform me about the diferences, BTW the only karate dojos in my city are Shotokan and Okinawa Karate Do Franchaise dojos (Shito-Ryu).

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dancing alone and all the guys, my understanding of karate and the diferent ryus or styles is moderate, so I can't talk of this topic but I like to learn. I can't say Shotokan is not karate like my friend said, he has practiced karate for varius years and his opinion is that "his opinion".

One of my partners in TKD is a second degree black belt in Karate Shotokan, his moves and techs are very good and he swears Shotokan is the best Karate, but again that's his opinion.

I can't say Shotokan is not Karate or Goju is better than Uechy or the best is Kyokushin because I don't know them very well to say an opinion.

There is no universal 'best'. Some styles might resonate better with a particular individual due to body type and personal affinity for the techniques, but that only makes the style best for them only, not for everyone else too.

If your friend doesn't think Shotokan is karate, he likely doesn't have a great opinion about Kyokushin or even taekwondo either. <shrugs>

I guess I just wanted to say don't get hung up with labels. Styles are only useful as a starting place descriptor; they aren't the end all, be all. It is very possible to find Shotokan dojo that don't compete in tournaments at all, that have more of a focus on self-defense and body fitness.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is no universal 'best'. Some styles might resonate better with a particular individual due to body type and personal affinity for the techniques, but that only makes the style best for them only, not for everyone else too.

If your friend doesn't think Shotokan is karate, he likely doesn't have a great opinion about Kyokushin or even taekwondo either. <shrugs>

I guess I just wanted to say don't get hung up with labels. Styles are only useful as a starting place descriptor; they aren't the end all, be all. It is very possible to find Shotokan dojo that don't compete in tournaments at all, that have more of a focus on self-defense and body fitness.

I also think a lot is down to the instructor and the practitioner. I've seen some truly talented and dangerous individuals who were expert in a different style. I've also seen some youtube crap from people who appeared to think they were experts in their style (mine and others). I would frankly not want to mess with a person who was a true master of their art, regardless of TKD, TSD, Okinawan-style karate, etc, etc. There are some very tough people out there, and these styles work when properly applied by people who have put their time into it.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The extremely low, deep stances often associated with karate are a Japanese artifact (through Shotokan); stances is Okinawan karate tend to be a bit more upright and natural.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are many differences in traditional Okinawan Karate to the more modern Japanese style karate. I will mention some again that have already been mentioned but hope I can add to the list also. True karate born on Okinawa named Toudi originally menaing "China hand". Di is the same as te only in Uchinaguchi. The kanji for Tou or To "&#21776;" refers to the tang dynasty. Te or Di "&#25163;" refers to the hand. The japanese were not particularly fond of anything of chinese origin which was why the name for karate was changed from Toudi to what we know today as Karate "&#31354;&#25163;".

Some of the differences:
1. Okinawa karate is more circular even in the Shuri te styles than that of mainland japan

2. The punching is done differently than Shotokan and similar styles and not just what you can see but the mechanics of the technique.

3. The kicks and blocks are different also. The okinawan's actually used their big toe as the striking surface rather than the ball of the foot. The original side kick of okinawan karate was different also.

4. Stances in Okinawan karate tend to be much more upright also even in Goju Ryu which as more lower stances then most Okinawan styles they use a lot of upright rooted stances.

5. Okinawan karate is a bit more in your face approach, more up close and personal than the more modern styles.

6. Also when I was in Okinawa I noticed they were less concerned with style then the mainland mindset and much more concerned on karate as a whole.

Just a my .02 worth!!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Karate and Kobudo are two different things.

Sojobo

Yet they can be the same, ever tried doing a Pinan kata with weapons?
There are plenty of karate dojos where weapons are part of the curriculum.

It could be argued karate and ju jutsu are two different things too but we wadokas would know better.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If weapons are tacked onto an empty hand kata...does it qualify as 'kobudo'?
Not really, IMO. You just get karate done with kobudo tools. The actual kobudo takes use of the weapons' own qualities. The karate kata were designed to be done empty-handed and more often than not, from a very short distance.
I have done kobudo, which really was just karate with weapons and I am doing real kobudo. In my opinion, there's no comparison.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on how you define kobudo. Many just use the term meaning training in (Okinawan) weapons. I guess strictly speaking that is both an oversimplification and incorrect.

Anyway weapons are not taught where I study karate. I just have some very limited training in Nihon Kobudo and Kali, and noticed a lot of similar movements in the karate Kata. I figure guys like Matsumura could have put some of that in there too or it could just be similar principles at work. Just an obserbvation, not a theory.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyway weapons are not taught where I study karate. I just have some very limited training in Nihon Kobudo and Kali, and noticed a lot of similar movements in the karate Kata. I figure guys like Matsumura could have put some of that in there too or it could just be similar principles at work. Just an obserbvation, not a theory.

I don't pretend to know Matsumora's thoughts, but I will note that there are obvious differences in stances between empty hand karate and kobudo. Generally, it has to do with the length of the weapon to obtain proper distancing for usage along with maintaining a stable platform from which to attack or defend. So for example, you might hold a longer stance with a bo.

You can train empty hand forms with weapons added, and I often do, but it is correct that a fuller experience can be had by practicing an actual kobudo kata since obviously it is designed expressively for kobudo practice.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I figure guys like Matsumura could have put some of that in there too or it could just be similar principles at work. Just an obserbvation, not a theory.
The way I see it and actually the way it's been explained to me is that the reasons why you can use weapons with karate kata is mainly physiological: there are, after all, only so many ways which you can move your hands and feet, so there are bound to be some similarities.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Would you explain me the diferences beetwen Japanese Karate and Okinawan Karate?
Nice co-incidence, I have lately been arguing about this very subject on a different forum :)
To me, the main difference is that in okinawan karate kata is the centerpiece of everything. The basics stem from it, as do the (formal) drills you do with a partner, e.g. ippon kumite. Then from these you progress to more free sparring, still using the tools you've learned in kata. That is why I've learned to talk only about one K, kata, as opposed to the three K's: kihon, kata, kumite.
In many japanese karate, though not all, the connection between the kihon, kata and kumite has been broken. By this I mean that the karateka from these systems just do the kata without knowing what they're doing, i.e. they don't know the contents of the kata. Then their partner drills might not have any connection to the kata or if there is, it isn't explained.
Just by looking at karateka doing their training you might not see it if they are doing okinawan or japanese karate, but in my opinion, the okinawan karateka should be able to tell you that from which kata their drills are from.
This is, of course, only a generalization and there are exceptions on both "sides". In some japanese styles the karateka know fully well what they're doing when they're doing kata and from what I've been told, there are probably some okinawan styles in which the people haven't got the faintest idea what they are doing in kata (in which case it's just an ugly dance ;))

Sojobo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yet they can be the same, ever tried doing a Pinan kata with weapons?
There are plenty of karate dojos where weapons are part of the curriculum.

It could be argued karate and ju jutsu are two different things too but we wadokas would know better.

Hello,

My knowledge of (Okinawan) Kobudo and Okinawan Karate is limited to what I have read and researched.

As I understand it however, it is generally accepted that Okinawan Kobudo Kata are much younger than Okinawan Karate kata.

There may be parallels that can be drawn (and indeed may be of benefit in terms of training), but their origins are different as I understand it. They did not evolve together as one.

Trying to blend Kobudo with Karate's Pinan Kata?, well...I struggle to grasp that if I am being honest. Although there may maybe a commonality, in terms of movement shape - there are bigger things to consider - not least of which "Ma-ai", or the altered fighting distance with weapons. [edit] Pinan Kata exist for the reason they were created (and utilised by the various schools that have them) imo - and that was to start (at least) to engender the best technique and movement for weaponless, or at least close quarter combat/self defense.

Sojobo

ps - the connection between Wado-ryu Karate and Japanese Jujutsu is a complicated one to understand.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions