would you do this??

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
lonekimono10 said:
just to clear something up here it was me who said "what a momaluke " not the other guy i see that he has a ouote with that saying, but it was me saying it to him about that lady with the tape.

Whoops, that is correct, but the question still stands, I don't understand your reference, what does a "momaluke" mean?

Thanks,

Lamont

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dunno guys, it was just some tape.

I mean, I'm not saying that was an okay thing to do, but I certainly don't think it's cause to go to jail or something.

As for a 4-6 year old not being able to pull tape off.... You have to be kidding. Unless she put like 3 pieces vertically and 3 horizontally, there's no reason they couldnt pull it off. Sure, it might sting a little, but if they couldnt breathe they would do it.

A 4 year old doesnt have the cordination or strength a 6 or 10 year old would, but they arnet completely helpless.

It was totally wrong, but this seems blown out of proportion to me.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sam said:
As for a 4-6 year old not being able to pull tape off.... You have to be kidding. Unless she put like 3 pieces vertically and 3 horizontally, there's no reason they couldnt pull it off. Sure, it might sting a little, but if they couldnt breathe they would do it.

My eldest daughter is 1 month from five. And I own duct tape. I'm pretty sure she couldn't get it off. But I think trying it out would be pretty sick.

Don't defend this person, Sam. There's no good in it.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If the kids where so unruly that they where spiting at others and could not be controlled they do not belong in a martial arts class.
What do you think they do with their training, not hurt others.
The instructor was wrong, the parents should be ashamed of their kids, the parents should disiplaine their kids ( th old fashion way) IMHO

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being a school teacher in addition to a TKD instructor, I find her behavior unacceptable. If the students could not manage the basic discipline of class (and not spitting at people is pretty basic), especially after multiple acceptable methods of discipline were tried (e.g. verbal reminders, pushups, time outs, etc), then they should not have been allowed to stay in the class. That's it.

While I understand the impulse (I've had the impulse a few times myself, teaching middle school) to tape a child's mouth, I would never do so. I know too much about the risks that accompany restricting breathing, especially in children that age, who can easily become hysterical - once they start crying, mucous would fill their noses and breathing would become difficult, if not impossible - thus, it is a health hazard, and a potentially serious one.

I am, I think, most concerned by Young's statement "I don't feel as though I did anything wrong" - potential physical complications aside, this woman chose a means of discipline that, at its root, is humiliation. This is a horrible way to teach discipline; it teaches children that humiliating someone is an acceptable response to improper behavior. That is not a lesson I would want to teach, nor do I think it would be effective in the long run.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know it's not easy to teach (especially) that age group, but you should be able to keep a good command on the class. Obviously, she had no decent controll on them, and I don't think she should teach again. If the kids still don't behave after warnings and the usual form of disciplines, send them home.

Cujo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No way! If you can't control the kid's in the class, call the parents and relate the problem. If that doesn't solve the problem, suspend them from class for a period of time or bar them if the behavior is bad enough.

Pax
Cujo

Latest Discussions