Would you date a person who's parent is a martial arts instructor?

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok I was sitting around at lunch thinking about something.

Would I think it would be cool to go out with a woman who's dad/mom was a martial arts instructor?... Ok follow my logic

Most of the time, you don't know how a dad will act when you meet them from the first time or after you get to know them. Is he gonna kick my *** or just yell a lot or be totally ok with whatever. There are just way too many factors. But...

If the dad/mom was a martial arts instructor:

1) You know you better respect his kid or your gonna get your *** kicked...you know it...they know it.

2) Anyone that will stick to a martial art long enough to teach it is driven. So expect a lot of goal oriented talk and such. <--Big plus to me

3) You can actually get a read on them because usually a martial arts instructor will be really up front so I would make the assumtion that would be amplified in this situation.

Obviously this is just a continuation of a lunchtime discussion but I thought it would be at least somewhat interesting, so here it is.

What other ones can you guys think of? I mean am I really off base or what?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had no problems dating a young lady whose father was and still is an avid hunter with lots of big game on his walls.

I walked up to the house to pick her up. She mentioned her parents were home and wanted to meet me. I smiled and went in.

I shock his hand, then sat down and asked him about this or that on the wall. He as the strong quiet type. He talked not much, but it was good. The young lady came back to the living romm with her Mom and then we left for dinner.

No problems no issues.

I do have a 18 year old niece now. Some of her boyfriends I would scare. They would go to shake my hand and give a limp reaction, so I would just do a nice finger/thumb lock and stnad them on their toes. I would smile and tell them that if hy would shake like a young man I would treat him Young Man. My niece would laugh, and say I told you so to the guy. I guess she would warn them.

This was not an issue of trying to scare the boys, but to show them some social skills. :)

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're definitely thinking only from the male point of view.

Every single martial arts instructor I've met have taught their kids at least the basics of their art, and how not to get killed, at the very least.

I'd personally feel a little safer. If something happened, it'd be nice to know that I probably wouldnt have to "save" someone's ***, that they're perfectly capable of doing it themself.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd have no problem with dating someone who's parent is an instructor.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a post I posted on another thread I think you will know my feelings on the subject (but in reverse) they go along the same lines as Rich's.

Rick Wade said:
icon10.gif
Re: I'm going to be a
Take it from a man that has 4 girls and a boy and two of the girls are dating age. You will need a lot of Beer. Here are a few words of advise:

1. double up on your training/teaching, practice, practice, practice.

2. Get your daughter/s involved in Martial Arts weather they want to
or not.

3. Get their boyfriends involved in karate, show them some basic self-defense. That away you get to know them and they know exactly what will happen when they disrespect your daughter.

4. Last but not least love them with all of your heart because they will always be Daddy’s little girls.

Congratulations and have fun time passes to quick.

V/R

Rick

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:
You're definitely thinking only from the male point of view.

Every single martial arts instructor I've met have taught their kids at least the basics of their art, and how not to get killed, at the very least.

I'd personally feel a little safer. If something happened, it'd be nice to know that I probably wouldnt have to "save" someone's ***, that they're perfectly capable of doing it themself.

Yes, My niece, I mentioned had he butt grabbed in school so she turned and drove her fist into the guys solar plexus. He went down with one strike and lost his breath. The instructor who saw it just laughed and asked her if she wanted to press sexual assault charges against the boy. She said no I think he has learned his lesson. She had no problems after that. :)

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
to answere the original question

NO my wife would lill me or worse

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA :lol: :rofl: Sweet!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I date men, not their parents, and I have never considered a man's parents' jobs as a dating criteria... in fact, I don't know that I ever knew what some of my date's parents did, especially if they lived in another stated.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What difference does it make?

Consider it a plus, she probably got brought up with fitness as part of her lifestyle.

oh wait... martial arts instructors.... fitnes... ok, scratch that :D

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back in high school, I dated my Shorin Ryu instructors daughter. Even met her at the Dojo.

Jeff

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Back in high school, I dated my Shorin Ryu instructors daughter. Even met her at the Dojo.

Jeff

Now that's a completely different question... dating YOUR instructor's child...

sounds like suicide...

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:
Now that's a completely different question... dating YOUR instructor's child...

sounds like suicide...

Yeah... one minute horse stance for every minute you where late bringing her back :)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Yeah... one minute horse stance for every minute you where late bringing her back :)

Horse Stance? With him it was more like Sanchin-Dachi!

Jeff

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It couldn't be any worse than dating a cop's daughter...

OP
beau_safken

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Horse Stance? With him it was more like Sanchin-Dachi!

Jeff

I was thinking more along the lines of the test subject for new and exotic forms of body manipulation :whip:

Latest Discussions