Would Would Win between Ip Man and Bruce?

OP
DavyKOTWF

DavyKOTWF

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Too much compassion? How do you know any of this? Through popular books that claim to be accurate biographies? I've known people that knew Yip Man. While always respectful, they've told me things that reveal him to have been ...a complicated person.

A little Oriental girl was suffering from a rare and serious blood disease. Her only chance of recovery appeared to be a blood transfusion from her five-year-old boy classmate who had miraculously survived the same disease and had developed the antibodies needed to combat the illness. The English doctor explained the situation to the interpreter, and she in turn asked the boy if he would be willing to give his blood to his classmate. He hesitated for only a moment before taking a deep breath and nodding his head in agreement.

As the transfusion progressed, the boy lay in bed next to the girl and got very quiet; and after a while started to sniffle, tears streaming down his face. Then his face grew pale and he started sobbing. The interpreter was alarmed and asked the boy what was wrong. He spoke and then the interpreter spoke in calming words, stroking the boys hair, in a reassuring manner. The boy looked up at her and said something. She nodded. He stopped crying and soon looked over at his friend, who was smiling back at him. They both lived to ripe old ages, bonded by their friendship and blood.

Being young, the boy had misunderstood the doctor and interpreter; he thought he was going to have to give her all his blood and his life to save his friend. But he was prepared to do it.

Such is the way of many or most Orientals. They have and demonstrate compassion every day.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A little Oriental girl was suffering from a rare and serious blood disease. Her only chance of recovery appeared to be a blood transfusion from her five-year-old boy classmate who had miraculously survived the same disease and had developed the antibodies needed to combat the illness. The English doctor explained the situation to the interpreter, and she in turn asked the boy if he would be willing to give his blood to his classmate. He hesitated for only a moment before taking a deep breath and nodding his head in agreement.

As the transfusion progressed, the boy lay in bed next to the girl and got very quiet; and after a while started to sniffle, tears streaming down his face. Then his face grew pale and he started sobbing. The interpreter was alarmed and asked the boy what was wrong. He spoke and then the interpreter spoke in calming words, stroking the boys hair, in a reassuring manner. The boy looked up at her and said something. She nodded. He stopped crying and soon looked over at his friend, who was smiling back at him. They both lived to ripe old ages, bonded by their friendship and blood.

Being young, the boy had misunderstood the doctor and interpreter; he thought he was going to have to give her all his blood and his life to save his friend. But he was prepared to do it.

Such is the way of many or most Orientals. They have and demonstrate compassion every day.
Orientals? Like the rugs? Can you tell me who these orientals were? I’d like to read more about this remarkable story, so if you can give me their names I will google them.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Notice I said Real fight...those you mentioned are sport arena competition and competition is not actual reality, not real scenerios....I stand by my original statement.
Still have the Diaz brothers.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nobody's surmised a guess to the original question...so here's mine. Bruce Lee would win. He had that killer instinct and more experience IN actually street fights. Ip Man perhaps had much compassion and kindness, which of course is a good thing and true to the Wing Chun way, so it would have gone several minutes, maybe 30, then Bruce would have won.
No ones answered because no one really cares about the answer. Also how on earth do you know if he had "killer instinct" as has been said before he never fought for real apart from some street fights as a kid...there's no videos of him sparring or fighting only doing demos of party tricks and stunts to promote his school and movies. Seriously you seem like one of those who confuses Bruce lee the person and Bruce lee the character.

Also 30 minutes? You're kidding no fight goes that long....heck Mma matches are 25 minutes at most and I'm guessing you're not talking about a ring fight. No fight outside the movies or the ring goes that long. Seriously man I think you should put down the books turn off the Bruce lee and ip Man movies and focus on training to get a true better understanding of them as /real/ people not characters. How do you how many street fights ip Man how do you know about his compassion? Because of donnie Yen?. Movies are completely fictional and a lot of these books about them are probably a small step up

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seriously, though, I think Bruce lee wins . they punch each other a few times to little effect, fall down and roll around for a while. I think bruce had better cardio, because ip man was a smoker, and so lee comes out on top.

A draw Carl vs Stan style.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hqdefault.jpg

D

Deleted member 34973

I still stand by my statement. Really, none of the b.s. excuses, are going to change the fact that ALL sport competition, provides a safety net and a safe emviroment.

It is what it is, only sporters deny the difference and that is just asinine.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Please tell me that you know this story is completely fabricated...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I still stand by my statement. Really, none of the b.s. excuses, are going to change the fact that ALL sport competition, provides a safety net and a safe emviroment.

sporters? That's a new one.

I'm really excited to hear from you what you do without a safety net. Tell us more .

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

I see this a lot from people that don't actually do martial arts. If you had stepped into a ring ever, you would realize that not only are punches and kicks, elbows and knees not safe, but they hurt a heck of a lot more from a trained, prepared fighter than they do from johnny haymaker in the street.

The average street fight goes less than 30 seconds and is usually broken up by bystanders. 'street' fighting is massively over rated.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Agreed. There's nothing wrong with sport fighting at all and of course it teaches a lot of things that are useful for self defence. But ring fighting and street fighting is very different. The main thing is the mindset. A ring fight the fighter has about 12 weeks to train. He knows his opponent in advance he can study his opponent and know his style his strength his weakness you get yourself in the best shape possible for the fight. But a street you have about 5 seconds warning if that you don't know who you're fighting if they've got training of they've got friends backing them up, if they have a weapon, if they're on drugs etc. also you may not be in the best condition if you've been out as well and had a few drinks. You also know there's no referee to save you so it's a totally different mindset. As I've said there's nothing wrong with ring fighting and it's absolutely better than nothing but no way in hell would I ever fight the same way in the street as I have in the ring and vice versa I wouldn't fight the same way in the ring as I would in the street

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course he knows . He made it up .

I doubt that he personally made it up, since I've heard it (with trivial variations) from other people many times and first heard it probably 20+ years ago. And there are an awful lot of nonsense stories like this one that are told as gospel truth and an awful lot of people who believe them. It's sad, but true.

I see this a lot from people that don't actually do martial arts. If you had stepped into a ring ever, you would realize that not only are punches and kicks, elbows and knees not safe, but they hurt a heck of a lot more from a trained, prepared fighter than they do from johnny haymaker in the street.

The average street fight goes less than 30 seconds and is usually broken up by bystanders. 'street' fighting is massively over rated.

It's also undeniably true that as long as it is a sporting event, the rules WILL provide, as was said, a safety net and an environment that makes the matches reasonably safe. That is THE reason for rules, you know. So I'm not sure why you're disagreeing with him.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's also undeniably true that as long as it is a sporting event, the rules WILL provide, as was said, a safety net and an environment that makes the matches reasonably safe. That is THE reason for rules, you know. So I'm not sure why you're disagreeing with him.

Well, that's one reason for rules. Another is so there is criteria to judge a winner in the event one fighter isn't made to submit from pain or beaten unconscious. The odds of the latter two things happening are statisticly greater in the ring than on the street.

I just think a LOT of people that do martial arts put a lot of undue and unjustified weight on the 'there are no rules in the street' argument. It generally seems to be an excuse for why their art of choice fails in a sport environment.

D

Deleted member 34973

Sorry boys and girls, I don't consider competition artist as real martial artist.

Nothing will change that.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry boys and girls, I don't consider competition artist as real martial artist.

Everyone has an opinion. There is no law against being wrong. I could continue to explain to you why you are wrong, but you haven't addressed any posts to that effect so far, nor offered any reasoning of your own why you believe that.

How about you start by telling us exactly what qualifies someone as a 'real martial artist'?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Sorry but I agree about the difference between a ring fight and a street fight but that statement is frankly arrogant. Competition fighters train and work hard, dedicate themselves to learning new things, dedicate themselves to making weight and making numerous sacrifices...tell me how that's any different to how karate people or taekwondo people etc train. It's all martial arts and frankly it's better to train anything than nothing. Yes we all have our opinions about what's better but I would never be that insulting to say someone who does things different to me isn't a martial artist

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

So Joe Schmo who is 50 lbs overweight but trains at the TKD school in the local strip mall is a "real" martial artist, but someone like Connor McGregor isn't? :rolleyes:

Latest Discussions