Would Martial Arts created by women fundamentally be better than those created by men?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the girls biggest issue is that they do not have enough competition to develop as quickly as the boys. We've tried to give them equal opportunities but they just do not come out in the same numbers.
I have been trying to find a way to increase the participation rate of girls playing basketball. Heck I would be interested in hearing how to increase the interest of teenage girls playing ANY sport period.

it's not just basketball, we have the same problem with women's MMA, which is odd considering we do have a lot of females in martial arts, very good Olympic standard ones too. Finding opponents for female fighters was a nightmare to start with, it is getting better but it is slow.

Here in the UK Sport England is making a big effort to get into sports, as you say, any sports. there are a number of issues why girls either don't do sport or stop when teenagers, they aren't always that obvious reasons either.

Perhaps something on here could help if you wanted to push a campaign or inspire schools to?

This Girl Can | Sport England

Gender | Sport England

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The flip side of that coin means that women can compete equally with men in areas that they realistically can't.

I didn't say there weren't differences, I said that they weren't as huge as people in the past and some now think they are. For example women were perceived as not being able to participate in sport because it would affect their fertility, men's fertility wasn't considered in danger ( though one wonders with pro cycling). Women can lift weights without ending up looking like the Hulk when once women using weights was discouraged even forbidden because people thought women would end up with bulging muscles. There's plenty of other examples which have all been proved to be wrong so yes the differences between men and women aren't as big as people thought.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
it's not just basketball, we have the same problem with women's MMA, which is odd considering we do have a lot of females in martial arts, very good Olympic standard ones too. Finding opponents for female fighters was a nightmare to start with, it is getting better but it is slow.

Here in the UK Sport England is making a big effort to get into sports, as you say, any sports. there are a number of issues why girls either don't do sport or stop when teenagers, they aren't always that obvious reasons either.

Perhaps something on here could help if you wanted to push a campaign or inspire schools to?

This Girl Can | Sport England

Gender | Sport England
No unfortunately it is not just in basketball, it is in almost every sport my daughters have been involved in. I've also found the same issues in MA here in NA. I coach a top athlete in Knockdown and she's had to travel to around the world to get competition as there is no one here in her category that wants to or can compete with her. Her sparring partners are basically men of which we are very selective to ensure that she is properly pushed in training but not needlessly injured.

Canada is not known for supporting their athletes on a National level so we do what we can at the regional and local level. I teach a special class on Sunday morning to help her raise money for travelling to compete.

Don't get me started with the schools. We have laws in in Canada that limit the marketing to minors so even not for profit sports organizations are not allowed to promote their sports in schools. Many of the coaches in our high school system are teachers which may not necessarily have the knowledge to teach the game they are coaching. I actually coached my daughter's high school basketball team so that these girls would have someone to help them improve their skills in the game but it is like fingers in a dam. Too many holes and not enough fingers........

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To be fair that's not very long lol, there's been a lot of female warriors throughout history.

But to reiterate, the quote I posted was very specifically for one person because it pertains to him and his inabilty to allow woman can be strong, not necessarily as strong as men he just doesn't think women can be strong.

I should think American men were a driving force in the American military, us Brits certainly weren't :D. However women as soldiers wasn't unknown.
Women of The Civil War: Wives and Sisters Who Went Onto the Battlefield Dressed As Men

Wartime cross-dressers - Wikipedia

Female warriors weren't unknown throughout history, necessity being the most pressing reason.

Female P Coy pass
the most obvious question here is how the hell the horses know when to pull the cord on their parachutes.......

The thing is though I'm not arguing that women are the same as men or as strong, I'm pointing out the absurdity of one poster's assertion that women cannot be strong...ever.

Agree and found the links very informative.
It there some kind of pressure or elevation switch on the horses?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree and found the links very informative.
It there some kind of pressure or elevation switch on the horses?

Makes you wonder doesn't it? They used to be based down the road from me, didn't see horses falling from the sky though. The King's Troops RHA is part of that regiment, there's 154 soldiers in the troop more than half are women doing exactly the same job as the men. The Royal Artillery has more women in overall than other regiments anyway. The Queen reviews The King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery in Hyde Park

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Tez3 The average man is stronger than the average woman. The strongest men are stronger than the strongest women. The world records for most athletic displays show this, in that the women's categories are almost always slower or of lower weight or reps than mens. The only categories in which women have higher records are when women are competing against women (for example, I read an article about a woman who had more gold medals in world championships than men in a similar event...but she wasn't competing against men to get those medals). There's a big reason why most athletics are divided between men and women, and it has nothing to do with sexism. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Without that division, women's athletics basically wouldn't exist

Actually I never said women were stronger than men. I said the differences in men and women aren't as huge as our ancestors thought they were. People also don't pass out at going more than 20 miles per hour as was once thought, women aren't made infertile by running. women can lift weights without turning into the Hulk etc etc. This is my point, that what we know is different these days except that some still think it's true.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually I never said women were stronger than men. I said the differences in men and women aren't as huge as our ancestors thought they were. People also don't pass out at going more than 20 miles per hour as was once thought, women aren't made infertile by running. women can lift weights without turning into the Hulk etc etc. This is my point, that what we know is different these days except that some still think it's true.
One might wonder who this straw man you are kicking was erected to represent. It doesn't seem to represent what anyone here has said.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One might wonder who this straw man you are kicking was erected to represent. It doesn't seem to represent what anyone here has said.

Dear boy, you have a very short memory. 'Kicking a straw man' how banal.

D

Deleted member 39746

Its a swarm effect, people want to go with their sort of demographic. Plus if you run a combat sport gym, you need training partners in your weight class, if none exist or people arent in your aprox height it gets a little ehhh, as you wont be fighting agaisnt somone 3 weight classes above you or below you in a tradtional sporting context. Thats just sport and life.

And before anyone says its unfair to short people, say that when they are groin height and you arent allowed to hammerfist them, shots to the groin vs glancing (and potetionally) dangerous punches to the top of their head. I jsut thought about uppercuts, they might work pending rules and if you know how to do it. Personal rant as its equally unfair to both parties usually and doesnt lead to a very fun sports match unless its a "freak show" type one.

Addendum: Some males have issues getting into yoga and other things because its female dominated and they might be the only male there, it happens to everyone.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I wasn't responding to you, though.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dear boy, you have a very short memory. 'Kicking a straw man' how banal.
Oh. So nobody then? Because after a quick look through the thread, it's fairly evident whoever you are talking to ain't here.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suppose we live in different realities.
you may need to explain, how two people of different genders doing the exact same exercise or work routeen end up with significantly different strengh levels ?

if the male starts off stronger ( and thats a big if), that gap will close significantly over time, as the male gets weaker and the female gets stronger, as clearly if the exercise is exactly the same the male is not using anything like their full potential

even more so how you have concluded that a grossly inactive male will be stronger that a reasonably active female. whilst that may actually have legs in the late teen and early twenties as the anabolic stage of male development drys up in the 30/40 then strengh is heavily exercise dependent as you cant just rely on the fact that god gave you bigger muscles as those muscle quick deplete through in activety

or there are lots and lots of 40 year old males who cant pull the skin of a rice pudding and would likely be out strenghed by a 15 yo girl who plays net ball, never mind someone who is involved in heavy exercise

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
you may need to explain, how two people of different genders doing the exact same exercise or work routeen end up with significantly different strengh levels ?

if the male starts off stronger ( and thats a big if), that gap will close significantly over time, as the male gets weaker and the female gets stronger, as clearly if the exercise is exactly the same the male is not using anything like their full potential

even more so how you have concluded that a grossly inactive male will be stronger that a reasonably active female. whilst that may actually have legs in the late teen and early twenties as the anabolic stage of male development drys up in the 30/40 then strengh is heavily exercise dependent as you cant just rely on the fact that god gave you bigger muscles as those muscle quick deplete through in activety

or there are lots and lots of 40 year old males who cant pull the skin of a rice pudding and would likely be out strenghed by a 15 yo girl who plays net ball, never mind someone who is involved in heavy exercise
You are pretty much arguing for flat Earth dude. What you are saying is on that same level.

Not even Tez goes that far off the edge.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are pretty much arguing for flat Earth dude. What you are saying is on that same level.

Not even Tez goes that far off the edge.
so youve no thought explination for your claim/? it just is coz you say it is !

give me some science to back it up

D

Deleted member 39746

or there are lots and lots of 40 year old males who cant pull the skin of a rice pudding and would likely be out strenghed by a 15 yo girl never mind someone who is involved in heavy exercise

Unless said 40 year old male is as unfit as hell, i would signfiicantly doubt that, and i do mean that they cant even move without significant exersion and cant pick anything up etc.

But anyway, i am so confused if you agree or disagree with him. As i skimmed up and i cannot work out which it is, i had a whole argument lined up for the diffrences in males and females and averages etc. But i cannot work out if you agree or disagree with the quoted message.

i think one of the points in that, would be taken to extreme pedanticism, as exercises are meant to be scaling with your ability to get anything out of, so you will be doing near enough the exact same exercise, just with diffrent inensities. (i stated near enough as down to anatomy you may have to alter some of it to fit your body)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
so youve no thought explination for your claim/? it just is coz you say it is !
Yes. You know, you are right. You convinced me. Biological differences between sexes are a myth, and Big Athletics™ have been working to convince us they are real for years through the use of staged athletic competitions resulting in fake records to falsely convince us that men are actually stronger than women. Damn that patriarchy.

Thank you for opening my eyes to this. I don't know why I didn't see it sooner.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. You know, you are right. You convinced me. Biological differences between sexes are a myth, and Big Athletics™ have been working to convince us they are real for years through the use of staged athletic competitions resulting in fake records to falsely convince us that men are actually stronger than women. Damn that patriarchy.

Thank you for opening my eyes to this. I don't know why I didn't see it sooner.
now who is using a straw man ?

the power of anabolics is indeed science thats why big athletes take them if they can get away with it.

the males natral anabolics stop in their late twenties, there muscles built on anbolics decay through lack of exercise. a 40yo inactive may may well have lost 15lbs of muscle since their mid twenties peak

if your saying an athletic male has more strengh an athlectic females its hrd to argue, but thats not what we are discussing,

which as it seems to have slipped you memary is a heavy traing female against an inactive male

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
an athlectic females is hrd to argue, but thats not what we are discussing,

which as it seems to have slipped you memary is a heavy traing female against an inactive male

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
now who is using a straw man ?

the power of anabolics is indeed science thats why big athletes take them if they can get away with it.

the males natral anabolics stop in their late twenties, there muscles built on anbolics decay through lack of exercise. a 40yo inactive may may well have lost 15lbs of muscle since their mid twenties peak
No, I get it. I mean, look at this totally fake list of world records, and the huge differences between the records between men and women in the exact same weight categories. Did they really think they could fool us with this?
List of world records in Olympic weightlifting - Wikipedia

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, I get it. I mean, look at this totally fake list of world records, and the huge differences between the records between men and women in the exact same weight categories. Did they really think they could fool us with this?
List of world records in Olympic weightlifting - Wikipedia
strawman again, try anf focus your attention on the point at issue. heavy working female v inactive male

have you any science data for that

Latest Discussions