Would Martial Arts created by women fundamentally be better than those created by men?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The only martial art I know of that originated from a woman is Wing Chun, according to a documentary by the History Channel I watched a while ago.
But I have been thinking during my hiatus from posting here. Would martial arts founded by women be more efficient for their intended purpose due to women not being able to rely on physical strength as much as men can?
By this, I mean that, biologically, men have sturdier frames and bigger physical prowess. Therefore, in order to be able to overcome this in a fight, logically (as shown by almost every martial style out there) technique steps in. But when you dissect the theory behind Wing Chun, the technique and knowledge and science present within it far outweighs that of any other styles that I am aware of. What are your thoughts on this?
Can you think of any martial arts that are more technical than Wing Chun?

Of course, I know many people call Wing Chun into question as it might not be applicable - but is this an inherent problem in the wushu style itself, or the in way in which it is taught?

In the West, the physical differences between male and female populations is more pronounced than it is in the Orient. Following your train of logic, any Oriental art designed (or evolved) to fight against Occidentals should be superior to anything the Westerners could come up with, as they would be more inclined to utilize brute force. Ergo, there should be very few world champions who are not Oriental. How's that working out in real life?

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In the West, the physical differences between male and female populations is more pronounced than it is in the Orient. Following your train of logic, any Oriental art designed (or evolved) to fight against Occidentals should be superior to anything the Westerners could come up with, as they would be more inclined to utilize brute force. Ergo, there should be very few world champions who are not Oriental. How's that working out in real life?

No, homo sapiens are still homo sapiens outside of North America.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there's a big QC issue with Wing Chun, in that a lot of schools don't teach how to deliver the techniques with any amount of power.

I don't think it's possible to make most martial arts more fundamentally sound than they already are.
Unless that martial art has gotten away from its own actual fundamentals. I used see that a lot in TKD schools, lots of flash and pizzazz but very little actual martial skill. Flip-flops, cartwheels and front walk-overs are neat looking but it's way hard to actually incorporate such into effective technique I think... but I'd see those kinds of things in open tournaments all the time.

And then I'd take them out in the sparring with simple evasion footwork and straightforward combinations... it was amazing to me how many of them thought that the first attack/strike was going to be "it." Hit 'em with a simple 3-punch combo and they could go all to pieces.

There's exceptions of course.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flip-flops

Flip flops? as in
havaianas.jpg

or as the Aussies so nicely call them 'thongs'.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flip flops? as in
havaianas.jpg

or as the Aussies so nicely call them 'thongs'.
LOL! I forgot that language difference. Flip-flops in American parlance refer to simpl, floppy sandals more often than the gymnastics move, which is also and properly clled a back handspring. So, to be clear, I should have used back handsprings, cartwheels etc. I first found about that thing, had it really pointed out, by Aussie comedian Carl Barron. Funny guy.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
LOL! I forgot that language difference. Flip-flops in American parlance refer to simpl, floppy sandals more often than the gymnastics move, which is also and properly clled a back handspring. So, to be clear, I should have used back handsprings, cartwheels etc. I first found about that thing, had it really pointed out, by Aussie comedian Carl Barron. Funny guy.
We called those thongs in Texas in the 70s. Only heard flip flops after we moved to Washington state.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thong is a technical tailoring and leatherworking term.

Any thin strip of clothing or similar material is a thong. Technically, the bathing suit use of thong is slang for that type of suit.

These are thongs

Brown-leather-whip-thong.jpg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thong is a technical tailoring and leatherworking term.

Any thin strip of clothing or similar material is a thong. Technically, the bathing suit use of thong is slang for that type of suit.

These are thongs

View attachment 28415
All I know is, wearing my thong swim suit to the beach goes a lot better now that I know there's a front and a back.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow this thread is old.

Wing Chun wasn't created by a woman. Honestly, I don't know if any styles were. Or wars.

Hopefully the Wing Chun Mafia won't show up and cause trouble about this (scholarly historical research) stuff again, but the actual history of Wing Chun is a sausage fest, not only is the Shaolin nun elder a myth, the lineages contain almost no females until the modern age when Bruce Lee made it popular.

Like most references to the Five Elders, it's historically equivalent to Greek myth, just newer. Something inspired the story, sure, but there's no there there.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know if any styles were.
A female master and style founder? Popular legend has it that in the late 1600's, Shaolin Monk Fist master Fang Zhonggong moved south to Fuzhou and raised and taught his daughter, Qiniang. After her father was killed, she developed the White Crane style. From her > Zeng Chisu > Wang Faodang > Lin Shixian > Pan Yuba > Ryuru Ko, who was one of Higashionna Kanryo's teachers, who, in turn taught Goju's founder, Miyagi Chojun.

Note - Pan Yuba or Ryuru Ko put their own touch on White Crane and thereafter taught "Whooping" Crane. Regardless, modern karate owes much of its origins to the style.

Did Fang Qinang actually exist and become the founder of White Crane? There seems to be historical record of those who carried on her early lineage. True, there is always historical fog, but I see no reason not to go with this story in absence of contradicting evidence and in the name of MA gender diversity.

Last edited: