Would anyone like to talk judo

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd like to listen in if anybody does :)

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
Would anyone like to talk judo

Yeah, I would. Is it just me or does it appear that there isn't anyone teaching Judo in Flagstaff, AZ? I took a few Judo classes (prior to work getting way out of control) and I loved it. Then I moved to Flagstaff and planned on taking Judo again but haven't had any luck finding anyone here. If you have a friend of a friend of a friend that knows of someone then please let me know.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I would love to read about it, I have always liked Judo but never had any time to take it up.

Also I did a post a while ago on the fact that a lot of Judo schools in my area seemed to have vanished.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Heck yeah! Check this out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I used to wrestle, and I've been playing Judo for the past 2 1/2 years. It's great exercise and I meet a lot of quality people.

However, I don't think it is such great self-defense. I think MMA is the best self defense, and that is essentially Muay Thai with grappling. What do you think about judo's efficacy? And what can be changed to make it more effective? Or does it need to change at all?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Judo is one of those arts that has taken a big nose dive for many years now in the popularity area. It is a shame because it is a great sport and a useful self defense

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I used to wrestle, and I've been playing Judo for the past 2 1/2 years. It's great exercise and I meet a lot of quality people.

However, I don't think it is such great self-defense. I think MMA is the best self defense, and that is essentially Muay Thai with grappling. What do you think about judo's efficacy? And what can be changed to make it more effective? Or does it need to change at all?

Self Defense/Self Protection training is best for self defense, MMA has some relevence, but they train for a strait up, face to face fight, burning inmuscle memory with in a framework of rules, great for a bar fight, but not a mugging or armed assult.

Now Judo and MMA artist who address self defense in their training have a better chance, ends up looking alot like Combat Jujutsu. Their attributes gained through Judo and MMA are built upon and improved.

I've seen so many MMA fight where one guy is grabing the other from behind, and a million things fromJudo and Jujutsu are right there, but not used, A judoka will get you off his back in an instant, the worse thing to do with a Judoka is to grab him from behind, you just took out the hardest part of a throw, entry and set up, you justy set yourself up.

Muggers grab people from behind a good deal, Judo throws are sweet for this.

I am not saying MMA is not good, that would be stupid and dishonest,I use some of their training methodology in my own training.
To many peole watch a pro MMA fighter and feel that's the best MA to take for SD, but if your not as athletic as those guys, looking into something more to the point, and dirty is better for most,IMO.

Bubba Buck

White Belt
Reaction score
After Bujinkan Ninjutsu, and a MT, BJJ, Kali mix for self defence I feel like I am getting more out of Judo then any of them. By nature I prefer striking but the aliveness of the Judo training seems to help me with confidence more than anything else. I have to admit that the time we spend training per week and the low price of dues helps.:ultracool

I am addicted to Judo!

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not degrading judo, it happens to be the best part of my life!

If your slant is toward SD, I could see judo being of great value. But my slant is to stay in shape now that I am not wrestling, and I think judo serves that purpose well too.

And MMA is not the gold standard of self-defense, that much is obvious. Still, it gives you a lot of different attributes that makes you stronger than the average untrained guy.

Independent_TKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At heart I am a Taekwondo practitioner. However, some time ago I started training in Judo to fill in the gaps of TKD. I really like judo and feel people can learn fast because of the realism of randori. Judo does have its limitations in terms of self defense. The sproting rules do not allow judoka to practice "dirty" moves. However, with a little modification of typical judo techniques, a skilled judo player is very dangerous.

As for judo's popularity, I think it has a lot to do with the growth of MMA and the UFC. I've seen this from local brazilian jujitsu players come to the judo school to "learn a few throws". Because BJJ and MMA tend to be VERY informal, many wouldbe students are turned off by the formality of judo.

Judo and jujitsu come from the same core. However, the BJJ and MMA schools I have seen allow things that would never be allowed in a judo school. Things like heavy metal music during training, mix-and-match gi combinations, overly negative/aggressive attitudes, a focus on cage fighting, and overly informal relationship with sensei. I think judo also has suffered because the media, particularly Spike TV and the UFC have portrayed randori style competition as a thug's game, with little respect and no honor.

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think you touched on a lot of key issues: The formality of judo being a turn-off to fighters who are used to an informal relationship with the teacher and fellow students, as well as the notion that judo is just throws and nothing else, when the matwork of judo is quite sophisticated. You're a smart dude!

Abbax8

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Judo is a fine art for a lifetime of study. What you experience when you join a judo club will depend on what the club emphasizes. If the club does alot of tournaments you will do lots of randori with a concentration on standup but you should also study groundwork. Randori, what is called alive training today, is the basis of most competition clubs.

The split between standup/groundwork will be anywhere between 60/40 to 80/20 or so.

What many people fail to realize, a good competiton throw like O-Soto-Gari, Seoi-Nage, Ashi-Barai or Tai-Otoshi are also excellent self defense throws. Throw in a choke and a arm bar and you have a good basis for the beginning of self defense training. Applied against a resisting opponent in randori furthers your preparation.

Peace

Dennis

Abbax8

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I have it. It is a good addition to a judo library collection.

Peace

Dennis

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think Canon of Judo by Mifune is excellent. But in my opinion, Best Judo by Inokuma and Sato is the best for competition-oriented players.

And Abax, I happen to be lucky in that I have a japanese sensei (the japanese love their newaza) and we do closer to 60/40 standup/matwork or even 50/50 on some days. I have a great sensei.

Me, I'm nuts about newaza. I wish there was more newaza in competition judo, but then it would be kosen judo, and that is not as well-known as BJJ, which is huge in popularity, and focuses on submission techniques and positional control.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also have the Canon of Judo by Mifune. I'd also recommend Kodokan Throwing Techniques by Toshiro Daigo.

Vabeachjudoka

White Belt
Reaction score
I think the popularity of Judo has pretty much stayed the same throughout the years. it in my opinion has been one of those hidde gem martial arts. I also feel that with the rise of mma and ufc the mentality has switched from one of martial artists to just fighters.A lot of new practioners just want to learn to fight, get in a beer brawl and put someone in an armbar. I pride myself of living the life of a Judoka. I can feel the history and honor when i win or lose in a shiai and everytime i step onto the mat.
as far as SD i think Judo is one of the better MA to choose. if anyone questions the effectivness imagine getting thrown with seoi nage or yamarashi or even koshi guruma on the concrete. very brutal. if you get rid of the restraints of Judo which a real life situation would make you do i feel it is the best for SD.Not to discredit or down play the effectiveness of any other fighting style or martial arts.