World black Belt Bureau

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm starting to think this whole thing is nothing more than click bait for his Youtube channel. I ain't clicking.

Would you click to see a poor quality video of me freehand sharpening a broken drill bit with an angle grinder though?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you click to see a poor quality video of me freehand sharpening a broken drill bit with an angle grinder though?

Oooo I love it when you talk dirty! :D

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’d say we’ve all given this thread far more attention than it deserves.

Can I see your certificate that shows you're authorised to think that thought and say that statement?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so a question.

How do I look up a WBBB member?

Looking at the online active member listing (additional 19$ for an entry, no other way to verify membership as an outsider) there are 127 listed members. Of those, 114 are in the US.

So the point of the business is to keep records of your rank in case your original school vanishes, but you have to pay extra to be listed publicly so that you could actually access that record if necessary? Okay ...o_O

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one says that i know of that anyone in any other school has to honor a black belt from WBBB. In fact I also train in Haidong Gumdo... as a white belt!
My point wasn't about anyone having to honor a BB. My point was that record-keeping for BB from an independent school seems meaningless to me (as someone who runs an independent school). It matters in an association, because other schools in the association typically expect to be able to honor it (and may even be expected to), so they want to be able to verify it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a backup system, it has a (slight, debatable) purpose.

But I could set up a secure and robust backup storage solution for you, for about £300/year, for unlimited records. Of course it would mean nothing to anyone else, but your current records don't either.

If it was that sort of thing, fine - it could help in cases such as if a 'federation' or 'association' disbanded and some senior people wanted to reform it.

Something else it could do (if it was certified and authorised by the various systems) is act as a central point of reference. To do that, it would have to get all it's details through official channels (not a random applicant).

But, I can't see that's actually what it is - it has no authority or credibility as it stands to verify or certificate rankings.
I think we could get that down to pretty much $0. A record of promotions is just a list. Store it in a reasonably secure (I don't think we need to worry about international hackers stealing it) cloud space. Put a copy in another. Email a copy to a senior student occasionally.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok now is the question who are you and what have you done that is worth it? Because here is Master Kangs..
  • Instructor of Elvis Presley & Bill "Superfoot" Wallace
  • Frontier of American karate with Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris
  • BA in Business Administration from Yon Sae University, Seoul, Korea 1960
  • Established and served as captain of Yon Sae University Martial Arts Team
  • Head instructor for the Korean military intelligence (special forces) group officers 1958 to 60
  • Fifth Dan, Korean TaeKwonDo Assn., Seoul, Korea 1962
  • Trained in Kong Soo Do, Chang Mu Kwan, Kwon Bup, Kang Duk Won and Han Kuk Hap Ki Do 1953 to 1965
    Established PaSaRyu Mu Do Assn. in Memphis, TN 1966
  • Seventh Dan Kuk Ki Won (World TKD Headquarters) 1975
  • Producer of Annual Charity fund raiser for St. Jude Children's Hospital, Memphis, TN 1970 to present
  • City of Memphis Mayor - Certificates of Appreciation for various community services 1982 and 1989
  • Member of President's Advisory Council on Democratic and Peaceful Unification of Republic of Korea since 1991
And what has any of that to do with the way the WBBB gives out certificates?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
So the point of the business is to keep records of your rank in case your original school vanishes, but you have to pay extra to be listed publicly so that you could actually access that record if necessary? Okay ...o_O

Well, that's what has been put forward, but...

I just noticed something.

Guess what you get as a 'certified instructor'

wbbb site said:
LETTER of Recommendation and Congratulations Granting the Instructor Authority to Register and Promote Students as well as Other Martial Artists of Other Styles/Schools

Read into that what you will...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if there are 2 schools across the street from one another. One has a WBBB instructor teaching TKD he can preform all the kicks and has students that are ranked number one in the state using TKD and the other school has another teacher that can not do the kicks only tell you how its done. Yet has some rank from oh i dont know the Kukkiwon.
What school are you going to train at? For me Im going with the WBBB school.
I'm going to go with the one with the better instructor. The WBBB is at best a non-issue. If they stress it, it becomes an issue.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In fact I think everyone here that is questioning any type of legitimacy about any martial arts organization. Should show video prof of themselves doing martial arts and Im not talking about a grainy video of kid from 40 years ago claiming its you. Otherwise you all could be really bad at martial arts and just looking to vent your anger towards others like WBBB.
WBBB isn't a MA organization. It's a database company that hands out certificates in exchange for a fee.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just found this on there site (bold added by me):

World Black Belt Bureau - Services

WBBB Certified Instructors Receive:

1. Opportunity for FREE DAN TESTING and AUTOMATIC DAN PROMOTION and Opportunity to become a WBBB AMBASSADOR
  2. LETTER of Recommendation and Congratulations Granting the Instructor Authority to Register and Promote Students as well as Other Martial Artists of Other Styles/Schools
  3. WBBB CERTIFIED
    1. INSTRUCTOR Certificate
    2. INSTRUCTOR Identification Card
    3. INSTRUCTOR Patch
    4. Three Leadership Stripe INSTRUCTOR Red Arm Band
  4. PROFIT from
    1. Registrations of Students
    2. Promotions of Students
    3. Merchandise Sales
That might be another reason for joining and having your students join...

Latest Discussions