Workouts to improve upper body strength?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess I'm on Deebo's level
IMG_3082.GIF
jr 37 is just the forum bully, it doesn't matter what i say, he follows me from thread to thread not discussing what i say, but rather making personal attacks.
Actually, I admittedly attack your asinine posts 99% of the time. If you want to take that other 1% of the time personally and call me a bully for it, that's your business.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess I'm on Deebo's level
View attachment 20855
Actually, I admittedly attack your asinine posts 99% of the time. If you want to take that other 1% of the time personally and call me a bully for it, that's your business.
I dont,actually care that much, I've met plenty of bullies like you in my life and the one's 2000 miles away aren't that much of a threat. If I was in the same town as you, I admit i would find your at stalking and aggresion. A bit of a worry

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again, you're making a baseless assumption and asserting it as a fact about what I do. I do work them. But this is like the previous incidence where you dogmatically insist there's a one-size-fits-all solution. Exercises like deadlifts won't have nearly as much effect on the rest of my body, because my knees limit what I can reasonably bear. So I use different exercises. You know, I adjust to strengthen what needs strengthening, without letting it unnecessarily limit other areas of development.

As for the "little discomfort", that's another assumption. Some days, it means Aleve is just enough to let me walk without a limp...if I use a cane.
here some info on how,exercises helps
How Exercise Helps Knee Arthritis
Exercising an arthritic knee may seem counterintuitive, but regular exercise can actually lessen — and even relieve — arthritis pain and other symptoms, such as stiffness and swelling.
There are several reasons to exercise with knee arthritis. For example:
Exercise maintains the joint’s full range of motion.
Exercise strengthens the muscles that support the joint.
Strong muscles help the joint absorb shock.
Exercise doesn’t have to be hard to be beneficial. In fact, gentle, low-impact exercises are best for knee arthritis. They minimize stress on the joint even as they increase its flexibility and strength

id just draw your attention to the part that says how important,strong muscles are

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here some info on how,exercises helps
How Exercise Helps Knee Arthritis
Exercising an arthritic knee may seem counterintuitive, but regular exercise can actually lessen — and even relieve — arthritis pain and other symptoms, such as stiffness and swelling.
There are several reasons to exercise with knee arthritis. For example:
Exercise maintains the joint’s full range of motion.
Exercise strengthens the muscles that support the joint.
Strong muscles help the joint absorb shock.
Exercise doesn’t have to be hard to be beneficial. In fact, gentle, low-impact exercises are best for knee arthritis. They minimize stress on the joint even as they increase its flexibility and strength

id just draw your attention to the part that says how important,strong muscles are
Once again, you're assuming I don't exercise. I'm not sure why you keep forgetting that, except that doing so serves your apparent purpose here.

If you need to win this by whatever means necessary, go ahead.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Once again, you're assuming I don't exercise. I'm not sure why you keep forgetting that, except that doing so serves your apparent purpose here.

If you need to win this by whatever means necessary, go ahead.
I had(past tense)the same issue, constant pain, inflammation, couldnt walk down stairs properly , my issue has more of less gone, I have full range of motion and only mild discomfort. The reason, i strenghend the tissue around the knee and the associated muscles, by doing , you guessed it dead lifts, though I started with lunges and worked my way to dead lifts.
to do this I worked through the pain and the inflammation, as its a serious benefit, and what's the alternative, life long incapacity'. If the exercise's you are doing are not giving you thr same results, then its fair to assume they are not the right exercises or you are not pushing yourself enough.

I find your whole attitude hard to understand, I make a simple post about dead lifts and their benefits. And you contradict me and continue to contradict me for twenty or more posts, then when it turns out I was correct all along, you get all huffy and start with this "win at all costs" nonsenses, can't you put me back on ignore and save us both the heartache'

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had(past tense)the same issue, constant pain, inflammation, couldnt walk down stairs properly , my issue has more of less gone, I have full range of motion and only mild discomfort. The reason, i strenghend the tissue around the knee and the associated muscles, by doing , you guessed it dead lifts, though I started with lunges and worked my way to dead lifts.
to do this I worked through the pain and the inflammation, as its a serious benefit, and what's the alternative, life long incapacity'. If the exercise's you are doing are not giving you thr same results, then its fair to assume they are not the right exercises or you are not pushing yourself enough.

I find your whole attitude hard to understand, I make a simple post about dead lifts and their benefits. And you contradict me and continue to contradict me for twenty or more posts, then when it turns out I was correct all along, you get all huffy and start with this "win at all costs" nonsenses, can't you put me back on ignore and save us both the heartache'
You, then, by some posts of mine on a forum, are better able to diagnose this than my doctor, and have better advice than he and my PT? Interesting super power you have there.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You, then, by some posts of mine on a forum, are better able to diagnose this than my doctor, and have better advice than he and my PT? Interesting super power you have there.
I haven't diagnosed it, you told me what it is/??????

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't diagnosed it, you told me what it is/??????
No, I told you a couple of the symptoms. You've decided this one exercise must be part of my regimen, or I'm neglecting my knee. I'd much rather take the advice of the professionals - which includes NOT doing certain exercises if they cause pain deep in the knee.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, I told you a couple of the symptoms. You've decided this one exercise must be part of my regimen, or I'm neglecting my knee. I'd much rather take the advice of the professionals - which includes NOT doing certain exercises if they cause pain deep in the knee.
no you definitely said it was arthritis, that's sound like a diagnosis to me

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no you definitely said it was arthritis, that's sound like a diagnosis to me
Okay, I did provide that term. That's a non-specific diagnosis, though - only slightly better than saying "it's cancer" ("cancer" covers a pretty wide range). There are different kinds of arthritis. Some are accute, some are chronic. Not all are treated the same way, and some are related to an injury (in my case, probably part of the issue) and some are either structural or genetic (definitely part of my problem). "Arthritis" simply refers to inflammation, not the cause, nor the specific problem - in my case, arthritis is one of the symptoms, and part of the diagnosis.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, I did provide that term. That's a non-specific diagnosis, though - only slightly better than saying "it's cancer" ("cancer" covers a pretty wide range). There are different kinds of arthritis. Some are accute, some are chronic. Not all are treated the same way, and some are related to an injury (in my case, probably part of the issue) and some are either structural or genetic (definitely part of my problem). "Arthritis" simply refers to inflammation, not the cause, nor the specific problem - in my case, arthritis is one of the symptoms, and part of the diagnosis.
so you were wrong, I didn't try and diagnose you condition from a couple of symptom

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so you were wrong, I didn't try and diagnose you condition from a couple of symptom
Actually, you still did. Arthritis is a partial diagnosis - you decided the remainder of the diagnosis with minimal information. And decided that your one point of reference must override all other information I had (without even asking what that information might be - rather dogmatic of you).

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, you still did. Arthritis is a partial diagnosis - you decided the remainder of the diagnosis with minimal information. And decided that your one point of reference must override all other information I had (without even asking what that information might be - rather dogmatic of you).
no arthritis is the diagnosis, and more to the point the one you gave.

after that the therapy for treatment / alleviation's is the same.
you seem to have accepted that you fate ad a not so slow decline in to being a semi invalid. That I suppose is a personality issue. Other would fight through the pain to maintain/ improve their quality of life. No one can say your passive behavior is wrong, it is after all the quality of your life we are talking about.
its a terrible disease, that is as much about muscle wastage as it is about bones.
the more it hurts, the less you do, the less range of movement you use, the less you work your muscles, the more it hurts.

you are clearly not looking for a constructive discussion of exercise, just trying to justify your victim status.

so best leave it there

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Arthritis" simply refers to inflammation, not the cause, nor the specific problem - in my case, arthritis is one of the symptoms, and part of the diagnosis.

According to Arthritis Research UK, you are completely correct.

Conditions | Arthritis Research UK

"There are about 200 different musculoskeletal conditions. Arthritis is a term used by doctors to describe inflammation within a joint,"

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
no arthritis is the diagnosis, and more to the point the one you gave.

after that the therapy for treatment / alleviation's is the same.
you seem to have accepted that you fate ad a not so slow decline in to being a semi invalid. That I suppose is a personality issue. Other would fight through the pain to maintain/ improve their quality of life. No one can say your passive behavior is wrong, it is after all the quality of your life we are talking about.
its a terrible disease, that is as much about muscle wastage as it is about bones.
the more it hurts, the less you do, the less range of movement you use, the less you work your muscles, the more it hurts.

you are clearly not looking for a constructive discussion of exercise, just trying to justify your victim status.

so best leave it there

You're big on proving everything says wrong, so prove me wrong...

When and where did Gerry (@gpseymour) say he's given up, accepted his fate, and will waste away while doing nothing to help himself and his condition? Has he retired from MA training and teaching? Has he said he doesn't exercise? Has he said he doesn't do any exercises for his knee? Has he said he doesn't do any treatment whatsoever for his knee?

He has however discounted your expertise (in your own mind) and said that doesn't work for him, so don't bother quoting him saying he avoids your golden standard deadlifts because it bothers his knee(s).

Rather than interpret and/or assume; quotes, please, or it never happened.

I'm pretty sure this will bring about another delusional post by you, but what the hell; I'm bored and can use the mindless entertainment.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel your pain Gerry.

My right knee no longer allows deep squats or lunges.....unless I want to hobble around for a week in pain.

I'm trying to hold out a few more years before having surgery.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain Gerry.

My right knee no longer allows deep squats or lunges.....unless I want to hobble around for a week in pain.

I'm trying to hold out a few more years before having surgery.
My doc thinks we might be able to put it off a long time. Yoga and some changes to my MA practice and exercise regimen seem to be helping. One of them looks like a probable candidate for replacement down the line if it continues the way it has.

Latest Discussions