Workouts to improve upper body strength?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I weigh 119 lbs you are saying I should be deadlifting 400lb?

two, three even four times body weight is quite achievable for a fit strong healthy person .so yes you probably could if you worked up to it

I would go as far as saying if you cant lift two times body weight in your case 240 lbs, you don't count as reasonably strong, if you cant lift you body weight x one, then you are officially weak

nb knock a bit off coz your a girl, call it 100 and 200 respectively

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
two, three even four times body weight is quite achievable for a fit strong healthy person .so yes you probably could if you worked up to it

I would go as far as saying if you cant lift two times body weight in your case 240 lbs, you don't count as reasonably strong,
I have no idea what I can deadlift. I don't think I've ever incorporated deadlifts in my workout. I can guarantee my knees would complain mightily if I got anywhere near doubly my bodyweight (that would be about 350 lbs.). Am I strong enough to lift it? Dunno. Functionally, I'm stronger than most people around me. I'm strong enough to do things I try to do, though certainly not as strong as I was 17 years ago (probably my fittest and strongest time).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nb knock a bit off coz your a girl,

This 63 year old thanks you. I can still throw a straw bale into the back of the Landrover, I can still carry kids across a field when they've been hurt, I can still do a lot of functional things I have always done. I have never deadlifted and I don't intend to start now.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We do those with a bigger angle at the start (think Downward Facing Dog), and don't reverse them (like the "easier" way he shows) - "Dive Bomber" pushups.

In judo, we do them each way separately, not in one go as this guy does. So the easy way in each direction. I hate them so much, but they're effective.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In judo, we do them each way separately, not in one go as this guy does. So the easy way in each direction. I hate them so much, but they're effective.
They are among my favorites, mostly because of the moaning from my students when I announce them.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have no idea what I can deadlift. I don't think I've ever incorporated deadlifts in my workout. I can guarantee my knees would complain mightily if I got anywhere near doubly my bodyweight (that would be about 350 lbs.). Am I strong enough to lift it? Dunno. Functionally, I'm stronger than most people around me. I'm strong enough to do things I try to do, though certainly not as strong as I was 17 years ago (probably my fittest and strongest time).
there of course many ways of looking at the issue of strengh fitness and how much you need.

I was once of the same view as you, as long as i have enough for what I do, that's fine. But that was quite limiting', as a 55yo i didn't actual do that much, so then I thought, what I need is the fitness I had 15 years ago, coz then I can actually do a lot more things, so that was the target. Then a few unfortunate things happen in quick succession to change my focus.

for instance, an akitta (Japanese bear killing dog) was ripping the throat out of my little dog and i was barely strong enough to get it off. Then my mother collapsed and I had to carry her some way home and it nearly killed me. And a few other unpleasant things

so I decided that being strong enough for the things I do or even the things I wish I could do wasn't good enough, I needed to be ad strong,as I could be to deal with the horrible unexpected things that might happen , where my life or a loved ones or even a stranger might be dependent on that extra bit of strengh .or being able to run a little bit faster

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I would go as far as saying if you cant lift two times body weight in your case 240 lbs, you don't count as reasonably strong, if you cant lift you body weight x one, then you are officially weak

nb knock a bit off coz your a girl, call it 100 and 200 respectively
So where does age and/or limitations due to injury fit into your definition?

What if someone is weak by your deadlift standards, yet can do other things like a dozen single arm pull-ups? Or bench press 2x their body weight? Or carry a person heavier than them up and down a ladder?

Your view is quite narrow.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there of course many ways of looking at the issue of strengh fitness and how much you need.

I was once of the same view as you, as long as i have enough for what I do, that's fine. But that was quite limiting', as a 55yo i didn't actual do that much, so then I thought, what I need is the fitness I had 15 years ago, coz then I can actually do a lot more things, so that was the target. Then a few unfortunate things happen in quick succession to change my focus.

for instance, an akitta (Japanese bear killing dog) was ripping the throat out of my little dog and i was barely strong enough to get it off. Then my mother collapsed and I had to carry her some way home and it nearly killed me. And a few other unpleasant things

so I decided that being strong enough for the things I do or even the things I wish I could do wasn't good enough, I needed to be ad strong,as I could be to deal with the horrible unexpected things that might happen , where my life or a loved ones or even a stranger might be dependent on that extra bit of strengh .or being able to run a little bit faster
My priorities don't really leave that kind of time. I build functional strength for what I need, and accept that.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My priorities don't really leave that kind of time. I build functional strength for what I need, and accept that.
how long does it take to dead lift, ?10mins for three sets once a week, its hardly a big commitment

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So where does age and/or limitations due to injury fit into your definition?

What if someone is weak by your deadlift standards, yet can do other things like a dozen single arm pull-ups? Or bench press 2x their body weight? Or carry a person heavier than them up and down a ladder?

Your view is quite narrow.
if you are limited by injury, then fixing the injury so your not limited seems a good idea, if it can't be fixed then you are stuck with being weak unfortunately

if you simplify the whole thing, you have pulling things, pushing things, and picking things up.

if you want functional strength, ie real world strengh to actually do things, you need to develop all three .

your not going to be able to carry a fat girl down a ladder with a,weak lower back and under developed quads, ie the very things that dead lifting sorts out. Or if you can firemans lift a 300lb woman, you will have no trouble dead lifting the same weight
its just easier to practise as you can't always find a fat bird that will let you carry her up and down a ladder

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
if you are limited by injury, then fixing the injury so your not limited seems a good idea, if it can't be fixed then you are stuck with being weak unfortunately

if you simplify the whole thing, you have pulling things, pushing things, and picking things up.

if you want functional strength, ie real world strengh to actually do things, you need to develop all three .

your not going to be able to carry a fat girl down a ladder with a,weak lower back and under developed quads, ie the very things that dead lifting sorts out. Or if you can firemans lift a 300lb woman, you will have no trouble dead lifting the same weight
its just easier to practise as you can't always find a fat bird that will let you carry her up and down a ladder

You have quite an eloquent way with words. I'm sure the ladies absolutely adore you. But I digress...

Eccentric strength is required for a lot of things, yet your understated rambling doesn't address putting things down, especially the heavy things you so tastefully speak of.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You have quite an eloquent way with words. I'm sure the ladies absolutely adore you. But I digress...

Eccentric strength is required for a lot of things, yet your understated rambling doesn't address putting things down, especially the heavy things you so tastefully speak of.
well it sort of goes with out needing to be said, unless you are going to carry the fat girl round forever

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well it sort of goes with out needing to be said, unless you are going to carry the fat girl round forever
What part doesn't need to be said? That the ladies love your smooth command of the English language?

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Jobo might not be selling it well but deadlifts (as well as back squats) are one of the best functional strength exercises you can do for your body. You work almost every major muscle group. With proper form, you will strengthen and not inflame any back injuries you might have as well as any knee issues. Like most people in the modern world, I have issues with APT (anterior pelvic tilt) and have had recurring back issues due to poor posture. Lifting has helped correct both issues. Everybody is built differently so it's difficult to set goals of 1.5x body weight for one exercise or 2x for another until you've actually assessed where you're at and then can make realistic expectations of where you want to get.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jobo might not be selling it well but deadlifts (as well as back squats) are one of the best functional strength exercises you can do for your body. You work almost every major muscle group. With proper form, you will strengthen and not inflame any back injuries you might have as well as any knee issues. Like most people in the modern world, I have issues with APT (anterior pelvic tilt) and have had recurring back issues due to poor posture. Lifting has helped correct both issues. Everybody is built differently so it's difficult to set goals of 1.5x body weight for one exercise or 2x for another until you've actually assessed where you're at and then can make realistic expectations of where you want to get.
I don't think anyone discounted the efficacy of deadlifts. It's his demeanor and his matter of factness that needs to be checked, along with his absolute claims, kind of like if you don't/can't deadlift at least 2x your body weight, you're weak. Nonsense.

And his take a single line someone says, coming to some delusional conclusion about what you said, and proving you wrong (in his own world) about it.

Deadlifts are a fantastic exercise. They're not the be all, end all measure of strength our friend makes them out to be. IMO the snatch and clean and jerk are far better assessor of strength.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how long does it take to dead lift, ?10mins for three sets once a week, its hardly a big commitment
Deadlift alone is not a full workout, and I've already pointed out that my knees limit the weight to less than my maximum.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
jr 37 is just the forum bully, it doesn't matter what i say, he follows me from thread to thread not discussing what i say, but rather making personal attacks.

Latest Discussions