Working out outside of the dojo

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The hard part of exercise comes up front, when you form the habit. That's the price of admission. When the habit is formed you will know it because you'll want to wake up and exercise and miss it if you don't.

It's an easy habit to break though, and then you have to start over.

Because the cost comes up front, most people don't, because they avoid pain, commitment, dedication, and they lack perseverance. Get busy living or start digging the hole they'll pitch you in when you croak. Those are your choices.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes but jumping up and down for 3 mins will have the same effect and save you 27 mins a day ( its probably more effective if its intense enough to count as hiit)

Walking is good for you in all sorts of ways, but not really for weight loss, unless you actual start walking some time/ distance , owning a dog and no car I walk every where that not more than 5 miles away, so I get through at least 60 miles a week at a good pace, at that sort of time/ intensity I'm probably burning through at least 5000 cals a week, that keeps me super slim, so much so I've had to up my cal intake to keep my weight up by a thousand cals a day, if he walking a tenth of that then its 500 cals a week or one chocolate bar other wise known as not worth the time and effort

Kempodisciple statement is true
Moving around in the morning increases your metabolism for the rest of the day, which can cause you to burn more calories as the day goes on.

It is a little more complicated than what I am describing, but I think you will get the idea.
Another advance of walking is your body burns carbohydrates and fats at the same rate. The faster you run the more carbohydrates are burn and fewer fats, the body does not have time to break down the fats when high energy levels are needed.
If you burn up a lot of carbohydrates, it will take time for your body to regain the carbohydrates from digestion or you can eat a simple carbohydrates which negates the work you put in to lose weight.

Walking clears the mind and helps you can focus.

If you are over weight high impact work outs are more likely to cause injure setting you back.

IMO As weight is lost and the body becomes used to physical activities, intensity maybe be increased.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not going to lie - while I am a fan of walking, I am not a fan of mornings and I don't think I could ever summon the motivation to immediately go for walk right after waking up. I wonder if there is a window of time for when it is effective. I actually do get about a 15 minute walk in on my way to the office, because I park so far away, although it is a leisurely walk. The only problem with brisk walking is that I'm prone to pain in the side of my lower leg when I walk fast (probably the peroneal tendons). Proper footwear has helped this and I have a stretch that helps, too, but if I walk too long at a brisk pace the pain becomes unbearable. However, at a slow pace I can walk for miles on end (at least on a level grade, anyway).
I get up pretty early every morning. Since it is cold and dark I defer to either a treadmill or elliptical. My normal routine is get up, make coffee, make breakfast (sometimes this is just opening a package of Belvita), eat and review my overnight work emails. This takes an hour. Then I do my cardio. Then back to work. So, like you, I cannot/do not relish the idea of crawling out of bed to immediately start walking down my street. It is all about the habits you develop.

Believe me, there are hills. The area I live in is as flat as a pancake, but once you leave the valley, you are in mountain country. One of my fitness goals is to be able to hike to the top of one of our tallest peaks, which is somewhere over 10,000 feet. The trail is only 6 miles to the top from the nearest trailhead, but it's steep and once you hit about 5,000 feet, it gets much harder to breathe. I remember walking up a tiny hill at Crater Lake and it felt like I had just walked up several flights of stairs.

I actually do enjoy stationary bikes! I can get going at a much higher intensity than walking because I'm not limited by leg pain. Although in the past I've solved this on the treadmill by walking more slowly at a high incline. But I really do hate treadmills. I'll look into the kettlebells - I've heard people talk about them, but I have no idea what you do with them. It may be something I'd like.

I'm not sure if there are steps with a ramp anywhere, although there are stepping machines I think. Of course, there are buildings with 5 or 6 floors that I could walk to the top and take the elevator back down. That sounds miserable, though. At least swimming in enjoyable! The pool is actually less convenient on the weekends, though.

Since stairs are not an option but hills are, you may be able to use the hills in the same fashion. Briskly walking steeper uphill sets for a short distance (50-100 feet) them walking back down and repeating 20 times would be a good cardio exercise that would target the legs. It will work the calves much more than steps but that is not a bad thing.

Yes, I am working out 5 nights per week, but two of those nights are on the light side. After a night at the dojo, I come home soaked in sweat. The college class, on the other hand, barely makes me perspire, but it depends on what we're doing. I don't have a regular 9 - 5 job at the moment. I'm in graduate school and a lot of my time is spent at the computer and it's actually quite flexible since I've finished almost all of my coursework. So it wouldn't be hard to fit in some extra workouts, but naturally I don't have time to add in hours upon hours of exercise. But it's working fine for me right now, although I have had some sore days and I have taken a day off when I needed it. Oh, and I am indeed very overweight. If I lost half of my body weight, I would still be considered overweight on a BMI chart (although only by a few pounds and the BMI can go pound sand anyway).

I wouldn't say I want to do 15 minutes of moderate activity without feeling it, but I get what you're saying. I'm actually having trouble visualizing something brutal. Running comes to mind, but I know I can't do that for 5 minutes. Maybe a fast front crawl in the pool? I've read that interval training is also good for improving fitness. 5 minutes of intense activity followed by a longer period of lighter activity and so on. It might be helpful to apply that here.

It sounds like you are in an ideal scenario as far available exercise environment and available equipment. Are there "trainers" available at your school that can help you make a weight room workout program? Sounds like a pool is very much a convenience so take advantage of it.

I suggest finding something you can do on weekends to pull you away from the couch. Remember, you are only talking a couple hours out of the day. Engraining the good habits are vital. Not always easy but vital to your success. Is it possible to augment your "light" workouts at school with some of the cardio elements from your other classes? Consolidation of efforts is a huge timesaver.
Keep in touch.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No we recently put a 50 plus guy through this and got him in his first fight.
I'm 55. I have seen good improvement in the last year but am definitely not ready to get back in the ring. I did ok in a 2 minute match last September but it was pretty much a snoozer match.
It is motivating to hear stories like this. Older people with fewer injuries have no reason to stay healthier. It is just harder but that is a crappy excuse.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kempodisciple statement is true
Moving around in the morning increases your metabolism for the rest of the day, which can cause you to burn more calories as the day goes on.

It is a little more complicated than what I am describing, but I think you will get the idea.
Another advance of walking is your body burns carbohydrates and fats at the same rate. The faster you run the more carbohydrates are burn and fewer fats, the body does not have time to break down the fats when high energy levels are needed.
If you burn up a lot of carbohydrates, it will take time for your body to regain the carbohydrates from digestion or you can eat a simple carbohydrates which negates the work you put in to lose weight.

Walking clears the mind and helps you can focus.

If you are over weight high impact work outs are more likely to cause injure setting you back.

IMO As weight is lost and the body becomes used to physical activities, intensity maybe be increased.
I didn't say it wasn't true, just over simplistic, walking does indeed burn fat, just not very much of it, which I elaborated on in one of my posts, nor is it a simple carbs or fat cut of point, the " fat burning zone" is about 70% of max heart rate and is then dependent on how long you maintain that output, half an hour is no where near as good as two hours, so even if you manage to get your heart up to 70% walking, half an hour is of neglable benifit in cals consumed.

A pound if fat equals a thousand cals, power walking will burn at most 300 cals per hour a fair% of which will be carbs,, so you need to wip along at /5 miles per hour for 3 hours to shift 1000 cals, any slower and the amount burn drops dramiticaly a half hour leisurely stroll wont get your heart up enough and youl burn about 20 cals over rest. Have you ever tried walking at 5 miles an hour? For even half an hour.. It's a lot easier to run

It's one of lifes unfairness that only very fit people can exercise long a d hard enough to burn enough cals to make any dent in there fat store, which is why fat unfit people need to diet or they will never lose weight

AND the benefits of hiit for fat burning long after you've stop exercising are well documented, GOOGLE AND burning carbs stops more weight acumulating so it helps no end if you are dieting

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The research I've seen suggests that being more sore makes the path to fitness longer, especially if it includes injury from starting up too hard, too fast.

Which research is that?

Why is he injuring himself?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't say it wasn't true, just over simplistic, walking does indeed burn fat, just not very much of it, which I elaborated on in one of my posts, nor is it a simple carbs or fat cut of point, the " fat burning zone" is about 70% of max heart rate and is then dependent on how long you maintain that output, half an hour is no where near as good as two hours, so even if you manage to get your heart up to 70% walking, half an hour is of neglable benifit in cals consumed.

A pound if fat equals a thousand cals, power walking will burn at most 300 cals per hour a fair% of which will be carbs,, so you need to wip along at /5 miles per hour for 3 hours to shift 1000 cals, any slower and the amount burn drops dramiticaly a half hour leisurely stroll wont get your heart up enough and youl burn about 20 cals over rest. Have you ever tried walking at 5 miles an hour? For even half an hour.. It's a lot easier to run

It's one of lifes unfairness that only very fit people can exercise long a d hard enough to burn enough cals to make any dent in there fat store, which is why fat unfit people need to diet or they will never lose weight

AND the benefits of hiit for fat burning long after you've stop exercising are well documented, GOOGLE AND burning carbs stops more weight acumulating so it helps no end if you are dieting

And any sort of plyometric work will help those kicks.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The trick is not treating it like a job. Do what you want to do. You want to go running then go running if you don't then don't. Training isn't a job it's a hobby and it has to be something you like if not you'll hate it then you'll stop.

OP
Orion Nebula

Orion Nebula

Green Belt
Reaction score
Last night, I had a really interesting class. The school is small and some of the students are pretty inconsistent with coming in. It's also the time of year for sickness. So I was the only student last night. It was great! I've never had one on one training before like that.

One of the conclusions we came to was that part of the reason I get tired fast is that I don't breathe right. For example, there was a long combo that I was struggling with and I was so fixated on trying to do it right and so tense that I was holding my breath through the whole set of moves. So in addition to improving fitness, I need to relax and little and breathe!

I also read somewhere years ago that you burn roughly the same calories walking as you do running if you only consider distance. So if I were to run 3 miles in 20 minutes or walk it in 60, I would end up burning similar calories, one just takes longer. So from a weight loss POV, walking is just as good as running, although this could all be hogwash since I don't even remember where I read it. Plus as you describe it as being more complicated in terms of where the calories are coming from.

It sounds like you are in an ideal scenario as far available exercise environment and available equipment. Are there "trainers" available at your school that can help you make a weight room workout program? Sounds like a pool is very much a convenience so take advantage of it.

I suggest finding something you can do on weekends to pull you away from the couch. Remember, you are only talking a couple hours out of the day. Engraining the good habits are vital. Not always easy but vital to your success. Is it possible to augment your "light" workouts at school with some of the cardio elements from your other classes? Consolidation of efforts is a huge timesaver.
Keep in touch.

We do have trainers available. I've looked into it before and they charge a pretty low fee for their services. The only downside is that the weight rooms are always packed and a lot of people complain that they spend more time waiting for a machine than actually working out. I'm sure this is dependent on time of day, though. The pool, on the other hand, has low use exactly when I like to go there during the week. They also have kickboards and other things to allow work on just the legs or arms.

I'll find something for the weekend. Plus, the heart of the rainy season is almost over. The rain cuts back in March and I'll be able to enjoy the outdoors more. As for intensifying the light college classes, I'm not sure. In some activities, yes, but in some, no. I have so far been placed with beginners with the expectation that I can help them out. For example, one day I was asked to lead the group through kata and observe and correct students doing moves incorrectly. So I spent more time slowly modeling blocks and strikes than getting a workout, which is valuable but not exactly helping me improve my fitness level. But another day was spent mostly sparring and I did get a good workout.

The trick is not treating it like a job. Do what you want to do. You want to go running then go running if you don't then don't. Training isn't a job it's a hobby and it has to be something you like if not you'll hate it then you'll stop.

Always good advice! I actually would like to try running, but I think it would be wise to slim down first. Trail running really appeals to me. But for now, the two physical activities that I really enjoy are karate (of course) and swimming. I also like cycling (on a real bicycle), but I have a wrist and hand problem when riding too long. I bought special gloves to keep my hands from going numb, but my wrists get very sore from the weight on them. Part of this is probably my bike setup - I might trying raising my handlebars.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One of the conclusions we came to was that part of the reason I get tired fast is that I don't breathe right. For example, there was a long combo that I was struggling with and I was so fixated on trying to do it right and so tense that I was holding my breath through the whole set of moves. So in addition to improving fitness, I need to relax and little and breathe!

This is actually easier said than done for a lot of people. We tend to hold our breath as it gives us a feeling that we are able to move more securely and greater power however it rather inefficient to move this way as you have no doubt found out. There are several things you can do to assist with breathing and relaxation when moving. The first thing you can do is to release a little air every time you complete a movement/strike/block. The best example I can think of is when a boxer lets out air every time he hits a bag. The second thing you can do is relax your shoulders. I suspect they are pretty tense as you are moving and holding your breath. Consciously relaxing the shoulders will help you relax your entire body. Stay relaxed in between each movement and only tense at the moment of impact (ie: punch/kick or block). Good luck.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ah yep, I can definitely relate to this. I've found that at home if I train I used to be fine, could power through everything, but when it came to training in class, I would get so much more exhausted, much quicker. It's been quite a process learning to train with less tension (still learning!), but yes you'll find that training with excess tension and shallow breaths will fatigue you alot quicker.

What @Yokazuna514 said was great, especially the shoulders, so just be more mindful that you're exhaling with the techniques, and very importantly breathing deep down into your lower stomach as opposed to chest breathing.

It's only natural to be a bit tense when learning new things, as you're trying to get it perfect, but as you learn it and become more comfortable, you can work on consciously relaxing more :)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last night, I had a really interesting class. The school is small and some of the students are pretty inconsistent with coming in. It's also the time of year for sickness. So I was the only student last night. It was great! I've never had one on one training before like that.

I also read somewhere years ago that you burn roughly the same calories walking as you do running if you only consider distance. So if I were to run 3 miles in 20 minutes or walk it in 60, I would end up burning similar calories, one just takes longer. So from a weight loss POV, walking is just as good as running, although this could all be hogwash since I don't even remember where I read it. Plus as you describe it as being more complicated in terms of where the calories are coming from.

We do have trainers available. I've looked into it before and they charge a pretty low fee for their services. The only downside is that the weight rooms are always packed and a lot of people complain that they spend more time waiting for a machine than actually working out. I'm sure this is dependent on time of day, though. The pool, on the other hand, has low use exactly when I like to go there during the week. They also have kickboards and other things to allow work on just the legs or arms.

I'll find something for the weekend. Plus, the heart of the rainy season is almost over. The rain cuts back in March and I'll be able to enjoy the outdoors more. As for intensifying the light college classes, I'm not sure. In some activities, yes, but in some, no. I have so far been placed with beginners with the expectation that I can help them out. For example, one day I was asked to lead the group through kata and observe and correct students doing moves incorrectly. So I spent more time slowly modeling blocks and strikes than getting a workout, which is valuable but not exactly helping me improve my fitness level. But another day was spent mostly sparring and I did get a good workout.

Always good advice! I actually would like to try running, but I think it would be wise to slim down first. Trail running really appeals to me. But for now, the two physical activities that I really enjoy are karate (of course) and swimming. I also like cycling (on a real bicycle), but I have a wrist and hand problem when riding too long. I bought special gloves to keep my hands from going numb, but my wrists get very sore from the weight on them. Part of this is probably my bike setup - I might trying raising my handlebars.
no weight loss through exercise is tried heavily to heart rate, walking three miles in an hour is a leisurelstroller, a moderately fit person shouldn't even have an elevated heart rate at all at that pac, now go walking up a fell or a small mountain and your talking. theres people jogging that arnt burning more that a moderate walk, but actually running, long stride,both feet off the ground at once is a different proposition

it's clear that your finding reasons not to do it, being over weight is not a reason to not go running, buy running shoes, pick a riut that about a mile and walk / run it, as long as the time drops on each repeat then your making good progress, you can do the same on your bike, but make it 5 miles.

you don't need a gym, there's a million body weight exercise that are just as good, even if you do them at the gym, if the machines are busy at the gym, use the free weights theres never a queue for the 50lbs dumbells, a kettle bell are a couple of square meters of space and your good

Last edited:

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
no weight loss through exercise is tried heavily to heart rate, walking three miles in an hour is a leisurelstroller, a moderately fit person shouldn't even have an elevated heart rate at all at that pac, now go walking up a fell or a small mountain and your talking. theres people jogging that arnt burning more that a moderate walk, but actually running, long stride,both feet off the ground at once is a different proposition

it's clear that your finding reasons not to do it, being over weight is not a reason to not go running, buy running shoes, pick a riut that about a mile and walk / run it, as long as the time drops on each repeat then your making good progress, you can do the same on your bike, but make it 5 miles.

you don't need a gym, there's a million body weight exercise that are just as good, even if you do them at the gym, if the machines are busy at the gym, use the free weights theres never a queue for the 50lbs dumbells, a kettle bell are a couple of square meters of space and your good

I love running, I enjoy the high. The problem is running is very hard on the body. I can only run on a rubber track with excellent shoes without serious pain., because I push myself too hard when I was young. Being over weight will only add to the possible injure of running. If you want to be able to run in your 60's be careful while you are young. Running in a swimming pool is good, because you are not pounding the ground.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love running, I enjoy the high. The problem is running is very hard on the body. I can only run on a rubber track with excellent shoes without serious pain., because I push myself too hard when I was young. Being over weight will only add to the possible injure of running. If you want to be able to run in your 60's be careful while you are young. Running in a swimming pool is good, because you are not pounding the ground.
that's another one of those myths, running is no harder on your body than walking, theres greater contact with the ground but less frequently for any given distance, so they more or less equal out and keeping the distance short and the intensity high restricts the number of contacts you make, and run on grass if you want to restrict it even more.

if you got pre existing injuries that lead to pain, then no dont run, get a bike instead

Last edited:

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
that's another one of those myths, running is no harder on your body than walking, theres greater contact with the ground but less of it for any given distance, so they more or less equal out and keeping the distance short and the intensity high restricts the number of contacts you make, and run on grass if you want to restrict it even more.

if you got pre existing injuries that lead to pain, then no dont run, get a bike instead
Running is no harder on your body than walking if you learn the proper technique. Most people are heel strikers and that is much harder on your body especially if you run on hard surfaces. Wearing proper running shoes can mitigate some of the issues but not all of them. Learning to toe strike when you run will alleviate a lot of the pounding but it requires a different type of stride:

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
that's another one of those myths, running is no harder on your body than walking, theres greater contact with the ground but less frequently for any given distance, so they more or less equal out and keeping the distance short and the intensity high restricts the number of contacts you make, and run on grass if you want to restrict it even more.

You seem to enjoy learning about athletics and coaching. If your A levels are high enough why not go to college and get a degree in
Physical Education. Do some coaching, it may improve your prospective on training.
Coaching change my prospective on training a lot.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You seem to enjoy learning about athletics and coaching. If your A levels are high enough why not go to college and get a degree in
Physical Education. Do some coaching, it may improve your prospective on training.
Coaching change my prospective on training a lot.
I'm retired , my days are spent walking my dog, training and messing about on the interweb, I've no intention of going back into academia, nor any chance of getting gainful employment with my qualification if I did.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Running is no harder on your body than walking if you learn the proper technique. Most people are heel strikers and that is much harder on your body especially if you run on hard surfaces. Wearing proper running shoes can mitigate some of the issues but not all of them. Learning to toe strike when you run will alleviate a lot of the pounding but it requires a different type of stride:
yes, that's very true, but then most people dont walk properly either, so it still sort of evens out

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score

Running correctly helps you when running.I modified the way I run by not fully straightening the leg because it hyper extents my knee.
Running whether correct or not still puts more stress on your ankles, knees and hips than walking.
I walk 6 miles on concrete no joint pain or run 6 miles on rubber track no pain.
I run 6 miles on concrete a lot of knee and sometimes hip pain.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm retired , my days are spent walking my dog, training and messing about on the interweb, I've no intention of going back into academia, nor any chance of getting gainful employment with my qualification if I did.
I am retired too. I have 6 dogs to walk, so I do a lot of walking. What kind of dog do you have?