Working Out II

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What is the one part of your workout that you do not enjoy doing at all, and you know before you begin that you are going to have to really force yourself to do it?

OP
Laurentkd

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For me, it is heavy bag training. I just do not like it! I know it is important and I know it is something with great benefits. But I just don't like it. I don't really know why. I could kick paddles all day long. I'll spar anytime. As I said in the other thread I love poomsae everyday. But I really have to psych myself up for heavy bag drills.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is the one part of your workout that you do not enjoy doing at all, and you know before you begin that you are going to have to really force yourself to do it?

Weak side training. No comparison. I hate having to work my left side techs. I do them, but I really do it as a matter of pious virtue, like wearing a hair shirt.

Marchfly

White Belt
Reaction score
For me, it's core training. Especially 'The Plank'. my best time is 2:30mins, and i begin to get the shakes around the 1:30 minute mark.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since stating back after my sickness it has to be the left side my kicks are weak and it will take for ever to get back what was lost but maybe one day it will be close again.

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
For me, just starting is the problem. But once I get warmed up, I can't stop, and can go on until I start shaking / collapse.

And I hate hearing my knees click everytime I chamber a leg.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Makiwara practice and precision striking exercises. All very important if you want to be able to hit effectively, but my teacher has a nasty habit of giving me his UNDIVIDED attention during these times.

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score
For me, it is heavy bag training. I just do not like it! I know it is important and I know it is something with great benefits. But I just don't like it. I don't really know why. I could kick paddles all day long. I'll spar anytime. As I said in the other thread I love poomsae everyday. But I really have to psych myself up for heavy bag drills.
You really don't like heavy bag training? I loved it. Often I would come home after class and hit the bag for an hour or so. The body hardening could go either way though. Some time it was great, made me feel super strong, like I could take anything. Other times, after being laid into, I would scream to myself "Oh lord no...why do we do this?"

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love bag work, too. Exhausting, but very satisfying for me.

As for the part of the workout I don't like so much:

"Poles and bricks"

Although I know they are GOOD for me, so I'm glad my instructor makes us do them ... I just wish sometimes it wasn't so OFTEN :)

And what ARE poles and brick, you might ask?

We have four metal poles in our dojang, wrapped in tarps for safety, that form a square.

He will assign each person in class to a position either at a pole or between two of the poles.

While there are variations, a typical pole sessions consists of 20 "pole squats" (a full squat, grasping the pole on the way down to keep an erect spine) and then 10 kicks with each leg. Those between the poles sometimes do a horseriding stance (deep, thighs parallel to the floor) for either all 40 counts, or sometimes due the horse stance during the squats and then kick along with those on the poles.

He starts at a pole and counts. After the 20 squats/20 kicks he will say "rotate" and everybody moves to the next spot to their left. Whoever is at the pole he started on counts.

We then do several full laps around resulting in a total of around 400 squats and kicks.

Sometimes we do 40 squats and no kicks. Sometimes it is pushups in the between positions.

"Bricks" consist of holding six-pound concrete paver brick (larger than a standard house brick) — sometimes one in each hand — and going through a series of hand strikes holding the brick or bricks.

Usually a pyramid: 10 each of backfist, front punch, and ridgehand. Then 20. Then 30. Then 40.

Dropping a brick has dire consequences :) A dropped brick only happens once every decade or so with someone new who doesn't realize that whatever pain you experience by keeping your grip on the brick, it isn't as bad as that we will experience with all the added exercises that happen if you DO drop a brick :p :)

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sparring--it's kinda fun(more fun than getting a tooth pulled, but less fun than watching a Mythbusters marathon on TV), but I REALLY suck at it! I just try to survive it.

Latest Discussions