Work at home

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on a good, reliable way to make money from home. I am a stay-at-home Mommy by choice but would love to find something to do in my spare time to earn a little extra cash- something like proof-reading stuff or typing or the like- even stuffing envelopes or something....I have seen a lot of ads but I am afraid of scams......anyone have any experience with a reliable source to share?

Thanks-
:asian: :karate:

R

rmcrobertson

Depends, I think, on your available skills and credentials...if you've got an MA in one thing or another, you might try on-line teaching. The proof-reading/editing thing is good, but I suspect you're going to need to have some personal connections to get you the decent work. Same thing with writing cheesy novels...

Other than that--and you've probably already thought of this--you might consider figuring out some sort of unique service that you could offer at home, either via the Net or in your community. It's my impression that a lot of the mailing services that were possible a few years back have gone away...

Be careful, of course, of ads...they're predicated on the idea that THEY get money, and you don't...

Have you considered going back to school, and getting loans/grants for that?

OP
Shodan

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. I do have a degree- a B.A. in Child Development and minors in psychology and family relations. I might consider going back to school in the future after the kids are grown....but for now, I enjoy being at home every day with my son (he's 22 months old) and am thinking of homeschooling him........so it'll be awhile before I am actually back out in the workforce or possibly furthering my education by going somewhere. Just looking for something part-time and fairly easy to bring in a little extra $.

Thanks again!

:asian: :karate:

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As a suggestion, my older sister is a stay at home mom and she started learning how to do Medical Transcription at home. It's a course she's taking through the mail and she sends in her tests. A lot like Homeschooling and she should know as she herself was homeschooled for her high school years.

I'm instant messaging her about it right now and I'll copy and paste what she says about it in case you or someone else might be interested---

"Medical Transcription is that Doctors are too busy to write up reports about their paitents so they just read their notes and thoughts out and record them then they would be sent to me and I type them up. I don't even have to leave the house. Right now I'm studying lots of medical and science stuff..... learning lots of medical words. Once I'm finished, then I start working somewhere. They offer a internship (practice) and I might do that. And you can get a lot of work or only a little... depending on what you want to do. There are all kinds of doctors, of course and most all doctors need medical transcriptionists"----end quote

Robyn :asian:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I pick up extra cash by making jewelry and selling it at weekend boutiques, and from web design. The jewelry is more profitable, though.

Find something you're good at, that you enjoy (and maybe that the kids can help with), and see if there's a market for it. I started making jewelry for myself, people liked it, asked me where I got it, and then asked me to make them some. It just kinda happened, and I never really intended to make a profit at it, but its paid for most of my skydiving expenses (around $4000 as of last weekend) which has been really nice.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You could be a Spammer after the 1st of teh year when it becomes legal.

Latest Discussions