wooden ring

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
me again.
forgive my ignorance at this stage. just returned from seni08 huge martial arts exhibition in london which was very good.
wing chun wasnt represented too much altho i missed the chi sao comp/demo on the saturday.
there was one stand with a wooden ring which i believe helps you keep your chi sao tight and controlled.

bearing in mind i havent done any yet. would this be a good idea form the outset once i am taught some basics?

have you guys seen or used one?

thanks
matsu

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
me again.
forgive my ignorance at this stage. just returned from seni08 huge martial arts exhibition in london which was very good.
wing chun wasnt represented too much altho i missed the chi sao comp/demo on the saturday.
there was one stand with a wooden ring which i believe helps you keep your chi sao tight and controlled.

bearing in mind i havent done any yet. would this be a good idea form the outset once i am taught some basics?

have you guys seen or used one?

thanks
matsu

I used to train with an iron ring when I first took up WC down in mexico. My current sifu says that it isn't ideal to use because you're required to keep pressure in the wrong directions just to keep it up and infront of you.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a little off topic, I didn't make it down to Seni, loads of MMA people did though and said it was great!

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the input mate.
yeah seni was really good will def go next yr too.!!

matsu

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
My understanding of wooden rings is that they are held in San Sik to test if your elbows are in correctly.

zuti car

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Rattan ring or Tang Huen can be found in Yuen Kay Shan, Cheung Bo, Yiu Choi, Mai Gai Wong, and Cho Gar Family Wing Chun. The main purpose of Tang Huen is to train the body to keep the elbows closed in twords the Center at all times .

BlueVino

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

My opinion is that with qualified instruction, a ring is a reasonable tool to help teach proper structure.

Not much more to say, really... ;-)

Cheers,
Trueblood

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the input. i saw it being used at a demo and wondered if it would advance or hinder me as a beginner.
matsu

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Rattan rings are pointless. It is far better to use a dummy or a person. The rattan ring causes a lot of ridgity in the arms

SENI wasn't that great. Chi sao tournament was disappointing. The 'cage fighting' was laughable. They used the same two guys each time and they basically kept ending up on the floor

Nam Yang did some pathetic displays that did nothing for the reputation of the Shaolin arts

The karate stuff was brilliant. The TKD stuff was poor
BJJ as always was excellent and a pleasure to watch

There were limited retail stands - my friend wanted to get certan equipment and couldn't find any

The wing chun stand was poor for two reasons
The guys hosting the stand were looking at people as though they wanted to hurt them
The stand was too small and didn't really state who they were

Linda Lee and Shannon Lee were only doing signings for half an hour!!

Overall very poor. And I know why

The average stand cost is over £1000, which means that GOOD martial artists won't even bother to host a stand
McDojos like Nam Yang who have the money will!

Anyway, there ends my rant

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
lol kamon guy!

so you had crap time!
i enjoyed it mate but it was my first one.
the kata and kumite comps were good.
the bjj was excellent.
i like the kids freestyle to music.but makes me wish i had started soooo much younger or i was 10yrs old again.
shaolin were good. too as were the marines!
i was there sunday.......... oh and i got tucked up proppa with the price of the lunches lol
but my son had great day too.

and yeah a 7ft dreadlocked wing chun guy wiv attitude was scary as hell.
but ............. i will go next yr!!
matsu