Wong Jack Man and Bruce Lee’s Private Match

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What I find amazing about the Bruce Lee, Wong Jack Man fight is that it happened in 1964 and Bruce Lee died 9 years later and 40 years after Bruce's death and 49 years after the fight....we are still discussing/talking/arguing about it.

As for the movie Dragon..it was just that a movie.. and not reality

And Wong Jack Man has lived a long and healthy life and has taught many many students in the meantime. He retired a few years ago.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Dude... people still get all in a lather about Elvis, John Lennon & Jimi Hendrix. Why should this be any different to those of fan ilk. Said it before, say it again... Never liked or cared for Bruce Lee. I've talked with seniors in SF that were party to the incident.

Hey look... isn't that a pink elephant over there??

Yeah I know, and that amazes me too...now if you don't mind Jimi, Jim, Elvis and I are going out for coffee :D

And Wong Jack Man has lived a long and healthy life and has taught many many students in the meantime. He retired a few years ago.

Well he has got some nerve for doing that after what he did...or did not do :uhyeah:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I find amazing about the Bruce Lee, Wong Jack Man fight is that it happened in 1964 and Bruce Lee died 9 years later and 40 years after Bruce's death and 49 years after the fight....we are still discussing/talking/arguing about it.

As for the movie Dragon..it was just that a movie.. and not reality

It was a hagiography... and about as accurate.

Napitenkah

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Or... Wong Sifu just didn't care enough to mention it after the fact.

And you are???

I'm just someone here.
I was just going over my own feelings on what I had heard before, and how I and probably others just tended to believe whoever had the most influence on public perception.
Which in this case was Bruce Lee.
But where I am at on it now, is closer to not accepting anything at face value and not thinking I know what happened.
I dont think it is a big deal that people are still talking about it.
Bruce Lee was a big influence, atleast the idea of him, on countless people.
So people will talk about controversaries on people they admire.
If it had been me and some other unknown guy that had a challenge match, then no, no one would be talking about it 30 years later.

Napitenkah

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sarcasm...good start...(and yes, that too was sacasm)

The point was movies should not be taken to seriously and by your statement

Sounded as if it was upsetting to you, sorry if I misinterpreted your meaning

And this just brings me back too

It sounded sarcastic, but I meant it as a joke, not a defense.

What I meant by the wong jack man in the movie, is, although I have not ever met him, he is likely the complete opposite of how they show him in the movie. I know how it feels, to have someone misrepresent who you are in a public play or film, something like that happened at camp when I was a kid.

It is not amazing when it concerns BRUCE LEE

Napitenkah

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have a question. It sounds like some here actually knew Wong jack man, as they refer to him as Sifu.

What was he like.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a question. It sounds like some here actually knew Wong jack man, as they refer to him as Sifu.

What was he like.

It's OK to refer to a teacher as "Sifu" even if he's not YOUR sifu. In that sense it's just an acknowledgement of him as a teacher.

My first sifu did study under him for about a decade. He described Sifu Wong as being a truly exceptional martial artist. He also described him as someone who perhaps didn't have a lot of patience in teaching. He would show you something a couple times and if you still don't get it, then he wouldn't often have patience to show it again. My sifu speaks Cantonese and felt that gave him a real advantage in this regard, being able to communicate with Sifu Wong better. He has a tremendous amount of respect for Sifu Wong.

Napitenkah

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It's okay, but I don't unless they gave me some kind of instruction.
After that I will always refer to them as Sifu, even if I leave the school.
I left a pai Lum Kung Fu school, but the sifu, if I saw him anywhere, I would still bow and say sir, as it was.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's okay, but I don't unless they gave me some kind of instruction.

That is bad manners.

After that I will always refer to them as Sifu, even if I leave the school.

Don't you call a "Doctor..." even without seeing them first?

I left a pai Lum Kung Fu school, but the sifu, if I saw him anywhere, I would still bow and say sir, as it was.

That's plain silly to be bow to anybody in public. Sir is better.

Napitenkah

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That is bad manners.

Don't you call a "Doctor..." even without seeing them first?

That's plain silly to be bow to anybody in public. Sir is better.

I am seeing a gap of communication between what I am writing and how you are responding.

I came to this site because it read that it was a friendly martial arts community. I have been to most of the big forums, and left, because they like to ridicule people, and the Moderators allow them to do it, and back them up.

If it is just a few people here, then I won't talk to them.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am seeing a gap of communication between what I am writing and how you are responding.

No... there's on a gap on how you are writing & therefore there's a gap in how I am responding to your post. That would be the problem. However, you could've perceived my responses as differently than intended given your
newbness here. Read on...

I came to this site because it read that it was a friendly martial arts community. I have been to most of the big forums, and left, because they like to ridicule people, and the Moderators allow them to do it, and back them up.

It is quite friendly. We are a great bunch. But like any established community, you need to introduce yourself. Maybe browse around a bit, see how things are done, see how the personalities are, how interaction between
established members are, etc... before deciding to join & post away with little regard for giving anybody a clue about who you are, your experience, your likes/dislikes, etc...
Now unlike KFO & your short time there (yes, I've been there for way before Kung Fu Magazine bought the board), the mod staff here is different. If you feel you've been abused or treated unfiarly. Review the TOS you should've read already & report the post. If it's actionable, it will be addressed accordingly. But don't expect big warm hugs & kisses without establishing yourself first.

If it is just a few people here, then I won't talk to them.

That's always advisable.

Or... what's better is why not dust off your Dungarees from the dirt of the playground & rather than taking your toys & go home... why not introduce yourself to the kids here on the playground
that've been around longer & didn't trip you quite the way you think you were tripped.

Or not... it's up to you. But you'll find a serious amount of knowledge & first hand experiences here. However... it comes with a price. That price is interaction & experience.

Napitenkah

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No.
I see only one kid on the playground being mean for no reason.
I haven't seen anyone else honing in on me.

So I'm not going to let him dictate how I am here.

I remember that when I was a kid, some kid that just didn't like someone. There was no valid reason.

On forums, people come from different cultures, and my culture, I don't introduce myself other than to be myself.

Which is what I did.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
No.
I see only one kid on the playground being mean for no reason.
I haven't seen anyone else honing in on me

So I'm not going to let him dictate how I am here.

I remember that when I was a kid, some kid that just didn't like someone. There was no valid reason.

Not the way I see it, but then you are entitled to your opinion.

On forums, people come from different cultures, and my culture, I don't introduce myself other than to be myself.

Which is what I did.

Out of curiosity, what culture might that be? I have delt with multiple cultures and so far all of them introduce themselves. Heck we even have multipel cultures represented here on MT and one way or another they seem to always introduce themselves.

Look here
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/115-Meet-amp-Greet

That is where a lot of people introduce themselves and give some background as to what they have done and so on.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wouldn't know.... I don't read tiger beat.... and now you have me concerned that you do...which is MUCH better gossip that Bruce and Wong :EG: :D

C'mon Xue, get with it. David Cassidy and Bobby Sherman are on the cover this month.

Latest Discussions