Won gold at the US Open!!!

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I had one match today, and tapped him with an ezekiel choke from mount. I took home the gold in the adult, brown belt, heavy division.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm guess the US Open is a major, highly competitive, tournament. Can you fill in the details on that?

OP
Ybot

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm guess the US Open is a major, highly competitive, tournament. Can you fill in the details on that?
It is one of the bigger tournaments, but short of the Pan Ams and Worlds there is just not a large pool of brown belt competitors in the US, so that's why there was only one guy in the division. It is a reasonably sized tournament especially at purple and bellow. It's one of the longest running US BJJ tourneys, this year being it's 12 year. It has, also, for the last three years featured a brown belt, black belt team challenge which has a cash prize and draws in some high world class black belts.

OP
Ybot

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here is the video of my match a buddy of mine put up on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sensei Tom O'Brien

Green Belt
Reaction score
Great match. My style is called Vee-Jitsu and we roll the same way. It aint easy. Even one match can drain your energy because, although to an observer it does not look like a lot of excursion, it sure is. Keep training and good luck.
Thanks,
Sensei Tom

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I had one match today, and tapped him with an ezekiel choke from mount. I took home the gold in the adult, brown belt, heavy division.

Congratulations!
icon14.gif

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, ok. I think the U.S. Open that I'm talking about does have a Jiu Jitsu division. Thats why I thought you were referring to that U.S. Open.

Congratz on your win.

joemoplata

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ybot,

Congrats dude, very nice. Can you explain what guard pass you were attempting in the beginning when you were up on both feet but still sitting?

OP
Ybot

Ybot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ybot,

Congrats dude, very nice. Can you explain what guard pass you were attempting in the beginning when you were up on both feet but still sitting?

I believe that in the part you were referring to I was just trying to stand with good posture, but he had tight grips and was pulling hard, and I choose to stay down rather than standing all the way up and losing posture.